Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-18-2021, 05:35 PM   #1

Trailer Dolly?

Does anyone use a dolly to move their camper? I've seen a few recently. They look like they could be handy when maneuvering the trailer in tight spots. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Jacjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:16 PM   #2

I’m using a Parkit 360 electric dolly to move my trailer into and out of my storage warehouse. It’s a really tight fit (about 6-8” clearance on each side) so manoeuvring with the dolly is far easier than trying to align it in with a tow vehicle. Click image for larger version

Name:	5DE23721-7B2A-471B-A483-2EC306E5D946.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	76445
2-yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 06:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-yota View Post
I’m using a Parkit 360 electric dolly to move my trailer into and out of my storage warehouse. It’s a really tight fit (about 6-8” clearance on each side) so manoeuvring with the dolly is far easier than trying to align it in with a tow vehicle. Attachment 76445
We’re you able to rent this dolly or did you buy it.
Old 10-19-2021, 09:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
We’re you able to rent this dolly or did you buy it.
I purchased this dolley. It’s expensive but it’s a good quality product that I haven’t regretted getting. The convenience of having it readily available to use anytime is great too.
Old 10-21-2021, 04:33 PM   #5

Trailer dolly follow up

To 2-yota, Jacjayco, Tunce the Traveler and others: I've been researching dollies and they all seem to have some defect that makes me want to avoid them. Jacjayco: did you end up using/buying a dolly? If so, how has it worked out? 2-yota: Is your Parkit 360 still satisfactory? I've looked at the Tow Tuff TMD 3500etd (with reviews saying it's poor quality), AlphaWorks 3600 lb max (with reviews saying it has no brakes (!!), the dolly shoots out from under the trailer at times) and the Trailer Valet TVXL2 XL (which is manual but requires a bent over position to operate it). Anyone have any other comments or equipment suggestions? I really need a dolly, but up to a $1,000 for equipment that has design or other problems is a bad investment. Thanks.
John K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 05:18 PM   #6

I haven't pulled the trigger on a dolly yet. Still looking. Thanks for the responses everyone!
I'll post an update when I decide what will work for me.
Jacjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 01:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by John K. View Post
To 2-yota, Jacjayco, Tunce the Traveler and others: I've been researching dollies and they all seem to have some defect that makes me want to avoid them. Jacjayco: did you end up using/buying a dolly? If so, how has it worked out? 2-yota: Is your Parkit 360 still satisfactory? I've looked at the Tow Tuff TMD 3500etd (with reviews saying it's poor quality), AlphaWorks 3600 lb max (with reviews saying it has no brakes (!!), the dolly shoots out from under the trailer at times) and the Trailer Valet TVXL2 XL (which is manual but requires a bent over position to operate it). Anyone have any other comments or equipment suggestions? I really need a dolly, but up to a $1,000 for equipment that has design or other problems is a bad investment. Thanks.
John K: yes, I'm still quite happy with my Parkit 360. Everything works as it should and the build quality does reflect that of a product selling at this price point. I was in your shoes doing the research comparison prior to getting this dolly. I watched numerous YouTube videos of this Parkit 360 & other dolly's. I also read Parkit owner comments & feedback and it seems most are happy with this dolly despite the high price tag. The model I have includes a plug for the 7-way connector so the dolly will be able to activate the trailers electric brakes. This is useful if you plan on moving the trailer on any slope/incline. Otherwise, on flat surfaces (or very minor angles), the dolly's own internal friction from the motor once stopped is enough to hold the trailer in place without the need for the electric brakes. How did I justify this purchase? I used my tow vehicle once to precision park the trailer into my warehouse and it was not easy. Must have a spotter (or two) plus the efforts and time of getting the trailer perfectly aligned into the opening was just a huge PITA. Having to do this every time I needed to use the trailer just didn't make sense. Plus if I ever hit the garage rails or damage the trailer while moving it with the vehicle, repair dollars right there could have gone towards the dolly. So I just bit the bullet and bought one to save myself from justifying any further. Good luck with your dolly hunt and feel free to ask any other questions.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:15 PM   #8

I use a Parkit 360. Fabricated a dolly and a connection to the Parkit 360. Use it to move my Pinnacle and boat.

Currently in the process of modify the dolly to hold kayaks. Will post new pictures once it is done. Out for powder coating now.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3809.JPG   IMG_3808.JPG  
RDTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 07:42 PM   #9

Added picture connected to the 5th wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
Connected.jpg  
RDTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 05:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDTC View Post
Added picture connected to the 5th wheel.
That is very very nice, way above my level of technical expertise lol. I may need one ready to go for our pinnacle
Old 10-23-2021, 05:40 PM   #11

I was thinking of a way to recoup the $$$$$ from your dolly investment: Get a folding chair, shade umbrella and a 6-pack of your favorite beverage, and sit down in the shade at your trailer storage facility. As guys come in to park their trailer, tell them for $25+/- you'll save them the hassle and arguments with the DW by precision parking their unit with your handy dandy motorized trailer dolly. You'll instantly make new friends, and a few extra bucks along the way
Old 10-27-2021, 12:29 PM   #12

Not on gravel

Bought a Parkit for our TT. Two things if you are in an incline and gravel does not work, just digs into the ground. Also you have to buy the Jayco adapter if you want to use it with the hitch. Does work well using the center post.
Lmdye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 12:41 PM   #13

A friend of mine was asking about building a trailer dolly and I suggested using an old walk behind snow blower. He reinforced the front and drilled a hole to mount a ball and added some swivel wheels on the front. Works great for concrete and paved surfaces
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 03:05 PM   #14

Trailer dolly

We use the parkit 360 designed for fifth wheel. We have a 321RSTS with the Andersen hitch coupler. It works well for us.
MacBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 03:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBean View Post
We use the parkit 360 designed for fifth wheel. We have a 321RSTS with the Andersen hitch coupler. It works well for us.
Would you be so kind as to expand on this/ maybe a picture or two/ We have a 36FBTS with the Andersen and it appears to be exactly what we need. Thanks
Rene
Old 10-27-2021, 04:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcf7 View Post
A friend of mine was asking about building a trailer dolly and I suggested using an old walk behind snow blower. He reinforced the front and drilled a hole to mount a ball and added some swivel wheels on the front. Works great for concrete and paved surfaces
Great idea
Old 10-28-2021, 08:48 AM   #17

Be careful if you have any kind of incline where your trailer is located. We bought one and had to return it because they said the dolly could handle the incline and it couldn't. I lucked out and got a full refund because I had documentation where they said it could handle it.
theguyoverthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 10:48 AM   #18

Pictures of Parkit 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
Would you be so kind as to expand on this/ maybe a picture or two/ We have a 36FBTS with the Andersen and it appears to be exactly what we need. Thanks
Rene
Here are a couple of pictures. We park it in a building that we have to pull it in to access the door, so the 360 works good for us because, as you can see it is against the wall.

It’s the only way I could get it inside and still be able to open door and let stairs down.

Hope pics help. The space is crowded.
Attached Thumbnails
A9AA71CA-27B0-4FCB-BF67-130BE578F978.jpg   384429DB-ECE8-426E-B307-FC885EDF3B05.jpg  
MacBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 12:54 PM   #19

Stay far away from the Trailer Valet series. I and several friends tried them and the are useless even on a flat surface. Bent up the tongue around the ball area on mine. Fortunately not so bad as to make it unusable.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 02:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBean View Post
Here are a couple of pictures. We park it in a building that we have to pull it in to access the door, so the 360 works good for us because, as you can see it is against the wall.

It’s the only way I could get it inside and still be able to open door and let stairs down.

Hope pics help. The space is crowded.
Thanks, and the company makes all the adapters as well?