Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-08-2022, 06:05 PM   #1

Trailer frames

Does anyone know if Lippert is the only manufacture of frames for RV's? Does Jayco exclusively buy from Lippert or are there others?

Just curious as I see many frame issues across the board with different RV manufactures but the common denominator is Lippert.
Old 01-08-2022, 06:11 PM   #2

As far as I know, Lippert is the largest manufacturer of frames and a lot of trailers are made based upon them.

I know that some manufacturers manufacturer their own frames (Northwoods, for example). If I remember correctly from my research, my 2015 Jayco did not use a Lippert frame. I don't remember if they make their own frames or if they outsource them.

My general experience is that LCI is generally the bare minimal quality at best. It should get the job done, but don't expect high quality...
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 09:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1wayhighway View Post
Does anyone know if Lippert is the only manufacture of frames for RV's? Does Jayco exclusively buy from Lippert or are there others?

Just curious as I see many frame issues across the board with different RV manufactures but the common denominator is Lippert.
I think Lippert has become the dominant RV Trailer Frame manufacture and most investment companies pumping out their profit boxes are using them. Lippert defiantly does not over engineer or over build their products. They design their frames to spec and to the T. No left over tolerances for unforeseen stresses that will wreck havoc passed the warrantee periods. I don't 'think' long term durability when i hear the name Lippert.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 11:06 AM   #4

Some are Bahl manufactured.
Old 01-09-2022, 11:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
I think Lippert has become the dominant RV Trailer Frame manufacture and most investment companies pumping out their profit boxes are using them. Lippert defiantly does not over engineer or over build their products. They design their frames to spec and to the T. No left over tolerances for unforeseen stresses that will wreck havoc passed the warrantee periods. I don't 'think' long term durability when i hear the name Lippert.
That's interesting. Usually the end customer specifies the design and construction. I assumed that Jayco would spec out the frame and Lippert would build it. Does Jayco have any say in the frame?
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 12:11 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
snip....I assumed that Jayco would spec out the frame and Lippert would build it. Does Jayco have any say in the frame?
"At Jayco, we put extra effort into the design of our frames."

Jayco 'appears' to have input in the frame design requirements according to the following (dated) published information:

https://www.jayco.com/blog/rv-frames-review/

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 12:25 PM   #7

Northwood MFG and Outdoors RV make their own. The bulk of everything made by Thor, Forest River Jayco, Keystone, anything Elkhart, etc are all Lippert frames.
You will almost never hear about frame issues from the 2 above mentioned.
Lance use the BAL Huck Bolt style frame. Maybe because of the way they built and attach the body to the frame that makes the frame a non issue as I've never read about the frames having problems. There is a recall on KZ TT's for poor axle placement causing the TT to be almost impossible to tow. Axles are to far forward.
Thats more a design issue vs build issue.
I remember back 8+ years ago when Lippert frames were failing at a higher rate than today. Lippert introduced a program to make all their welders certified. Yikes. What gets me is that some RV manufactures realize the potential for overhang cracking on their 5th wheels and put the splice piece in up to the bedroom slide out. Others ignore the potential crack area and then pay for warranty fixes if needed.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 12:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
"At Jayco, we put extra effort into the design of our frames."

Jayco 'appears' to have input in the frame design requirements according to the following (dated) published information:

https://www.jayco.com/blog/rv-frames-review/

Bob
i dont think they are putting any more effort into design input than to left their coffee cups for a refill. When you read about their frame failures and the fact that they deny warranty work to frame structures when certain hitches are used should tell you the efforts they are putting into their designs. Build them as cheap as possible is the only efforts i've seen for the last 5 years
Old 01-09-2022, 01:11 PM   #9

So Jayco had no idea what they are buying? Crazy. In the industries I've been in the customers had prints that specified everything from the materials to how it should be built on everything they were buying.
Old 01-09-2022, 01:22 PM   #10

jayco & other trailer manufactures gives Lippert weight specs for each trailer and Lippert designs/engineers from those specs right to the T. It's obvious there is no 'over' factor built into the actual end product. There is no reason we should be hearing about the multiple frame failures from most every manufactures. Also, why is Lippert the only frame manufacture to void its structure warranty when certain hitches are used to tow with. When you have a product built to a fine line such as Lippert is doing, it sure doesn't do much to the trust level of their products. Funny how Lippert and TT manufactures point fingers at each other on these structural failures. These problems never existed 5 years ago. Build em cheap, Don't build em to last, is their moto
Old 01-09-2022, 06:09 PM   #11

In other industries the customer sets the specifications and could require more of an "over" factor. I find it amazing that Lippert controls what Jayco buys instead of Jayco. I thought Jayco could just specify a stronger frame since they are paying for it. The RV industry sure is strange.
Old 01-09-2022, 06:32 PM   #12

i had a 26' Shasta Tongue pull for several years before buying my Jayco 5th wheel new in 2019. The Shasta was built in the late 80's The frame on that Shasta was was 5x beefier then this thin walled 5th wheel frame. And the Shasta was a lot lighter smaller trailer. These new trailers have zero fudge factor and most can't even withstand these poorly made freeway systems. Buying a used TT today is one of the worst gambles you can make.
Old 01-10-2022, 11:05 AM   #13

Quote:
In other industries the customer sets the specifications and could require more of an "over" factor. I find it amazing that Lippert controls what Jayco buys instead of Jayco. I thought Jayco could just specify a stronger frame since they are paying for it. The RV industry sure is strange.
They absolutely could specify an "over" factor, I'm just not sure why they would? It will cost more.

Jayco will give Lippert a weight, Lippert will design to that weight unless told (and paid) otherwise. I'm not sure where you're getting the impression that Lippert controls what Jayco buys.
ctardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 11:11 AM   #14

I'm getting that from kerkelli.

It seems to me that the frames are made to Jayco's specifications and they should be held responsible not Lippert.
Old 01-10-2022, 11:13 AM   #15

Quote:
I'm getting that from kerkelli.

It seems to me that the frames are made to Jayco's specifications and they should be held responsible not Lippert.
That would stop letting Jayco play their favorite game of pass the buck though!
ctardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 09:03 PM   #16

I have a Jay Feather Micro, it has a BAL frame, it has this logo on it, here is their site, https://balrvproducts.com/index.shtml

Are they a Lippert company?

I thought most of their frames were made by Norco/BAL?
Old 01-14-2022, 03:16 PM   #17

My 2016 Starcraft AR One has a Norco Industries frame.
Old 01-14-2022, 03:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post
My 2016 Starcraft AR One has a Norco Industries frame.
Starcraft has a nice beefy frame…
Old 01-15-2022, 01:05 PM   #19

2015 Whitehawk

Up until 2017, Jayco was a family owned company. Their trailers were well-crafted up until they were sold to Thor. Our pull-behind came with a 2-year warranty, which we never needed to use! From 2017 on, they’re just a rebadged Keystone. Don’t expect newer jaycos to be any better than other Thor products.
G&BOlsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 07:02 AM   #20
GJB

Lippert is the Devil
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote