Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-23-2016, 01:03 AM   #1

trailer security

just wondering if anyone has any type of security on trailer to prevent it from being stolen,,,ie..gps ,,boot or something of this nature,,, thanks much appreciated
jayco264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:36 AM   #2

I have a king-pin lock on my FW and when I had my TT I kept a lock on the hitch as well.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Duramax SB SRW
schiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiguy View Post
I have a king-pin lock on my FW and when I had my TT I kept a lock on the hitch as well.
+1
Old 07-23-2016, 07:47 AM   #4

So a search, lots written on this topic. Keep in mind that you are 100 times more likely to have a breakin with your RV than actually have it stolen. If the bad guy is after your stuff, the best defense is not to keep really valuable stuff in your RV. The OEM stuff inside of anything other than maybe a class A is hardly worth stealing but if they want in all they have to do is bust out a window or even cut a hole in the side. I have never heard of a TT or 5er being stolen from a CG. Lots of places to spend your $$ but anything more than a $25-50 hitch lock is a waste.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:22 AM   #5

A quick wack on the door window and they are in, even your million dollar Prevost!
Like already said leave nothing valuable to take.
PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:23 AM   #6

Sorry, just noticed this is an old thread. Not to self look at date before posting!!!
PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB12 View Post
Sorry, just noticed this is an old thread. Not to self look at date before posting!!!
PaulB12
Maybe an old thread but definitely a good reminder. Our previous 5ver was broken into 3 times. The 1st time they broke out the dual pane window on the driver's side. The 2nd time they broken the window in the door. And the 3rd time they used a darn crowbar on the door!!!! After the 1st time, we either took the items out or found a way to weld it more securely. The 2nd time, they literally ripped the wood apart. The 3rd time - well there wasn't much there but they made a mess.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:18 PM   #8

I have Reolink video cameras with motion detectors that activate the cameras and upload video to an off site server when motion is detected. The system also sends an alert to my cellphone.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 07:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB12 View Post
A quick wack on the door window and they are in, even your million dollar Prevost!
Like already said leave nothing valuable to take.
PaulB12
When we first moved to GA, we put our Hybrid TT in storage. About 6 months later, it was broken into. I had only put on the lock, not the deadbolt and they easily got in. We had nothing to steal other than pots, pans, dishes and flatware and it didn't appear anything was touched. So I locked the deadbolt. About a week later it was broken into again, sort of. They could not get the door open with the deadbolt on. They broke the window on the door, but still couldn't get in (apparently they could get over a barbed wire fence, but couldn't get into the HTT through the door's window). Apparently, they got made they couldn't get in because they snipped the tether on the gravity water fill cap and they cut the tongue lock off. The police figured they were just looking for a place to sleep.

For us, thankfully, they couldn't get in through the window's door. Unfortunately, they did enough damage to the door that we had to replace it.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:56 AM   #10

I've seen a couple of posts on Facebook recently of trailers being stolen. As people have said, if they want in, they will get in. Don't keep valuables. I take my battery off when it is in storage. I also have a lock on the hitch and the pin. Make it harder than the next guy.

However, if someone wants it bad enough, there are usually always ways.

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 02:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by colby View Post
However, if someone wants it bad enough, there are usually always ways.
Locks only keep an HONEST PERSON HONEST.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:04 PM   #12

Ah security! Back in 2006 we had a 2005 Grand Junction 5th wheel RV that was 14 months old and we stored it on a storage facility. I had added the in-motion satellite dish to the roof so the kids could watch TV when we took our trip out west and got a beautiful redwood clock to hang on the wall. But I’ll make a long short, but basically a few days before my birth day in September. My wife called me and say she didn’t see the RV on hew way home from work and ask if I had it for some reason. I told her I was getting ready to leave work and why would I have the RV. I figured she just missed seeing it as there is only a small strip of the interstate you could see our RV sitting there. Never the less, I stopped by on my way home to check and got the shock of a life time. No RV, no nothing. The wood blocks that I had the leg sitting on where gone, the cinder block that someone left sitting in my parking site was gone.

The storage lot has fencing and gate that you needed a security code to get through. Basically, the day it was stolen, two men and a women came and rented a storage unit. The drivers license of the women was fake and out of South Carolina. They claimed to be moving to the state at the time. Anyways, at 10:59pm that same day, they show backup with a different truck, tailgate down and no license plate on the back. Security cameras at the key pad captured their faces even thought they tried to cover the camera. At the time, I only had a king pin lock that took them less than 5 minutes to break off using a crow bar and a hammer. Twenty nine minutes in all is all it took them from the moment the drove on the storage lot until the until they left with the RV.

I learned a few thing that night and in the days after, if they really want it, they will take it. And most locks are worthless. They are weak or thin and keep the honest, well honest. After some research, I found that most people buy the $30-60 locks that are made of cast aluminum or cast steel. When installed, the are loose and have gaps that a crow bar can fit in to when you try to break them off. Add freon to the mix and it make the process faster. There are locks that make it very hard to get off, but those are costly and are in the $200+ range.

Today, we have a much better king pin lock and two wheel locks. The wheel locks just clamp around the tire and rim and prevent the tires from rolling. The locks are drill and freon resistant. We put two of them on, that way they can’t just replace the wheel with the spare tire to bypass the locks. So, now they have to deal with a strong king pin lock and two wheel locks. Does that mean that can’t be stolen, well no. But it makes it much harder to do.

Anthony
Lanwangeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 05:16 PM   #13

I do not want to go through the ordeal of buying another unit for a long time, and insurance never pays enough.
I put two quality wheel locks on the wheels and a cheap block lock on the hitch. I know they could still take it if they really wanted to, but it would take them some time. There is lower hanging fruit at our storage facility.

We did have a break-in. They stole our tool bag and nothing else. I was surprised they didn't take the tv. We also had an EMS and a Weber grill, and they didn't take that either.
They used a universal key to enter through one of the storage compartments, climb through the storage compartment, and walked out the door.

I suspect it was someone connected to the storage lot because they knew how to stay out of view of the only camera that wasn't working, and the back fence was down after a hurricane.
I also think it was someone that knows enough about trailers to know that they could gain access with a universal key and crawl through the storage.

We decided that the next time we buy a house, we will make sure that it has a place to store the camper on the side of the house.

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 05:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiguy View Post
Same here. Ours stays at the farm under a shed . I also have a lock on both the main power panel and the rv plug box. If the thiefs really want it those 3 just slows the process .
I also put the RVlock keyless entry and changed all the storage doors to the round key. I have good insurance which hopefully would ease the pain of finding it gone.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 05:56 PM   #15

Forgot I also added a locking bar on the propane tanks.
Here in East Tx it's my understanding most RV's are stolen by the druggies . They take them to a remote place & cook meth then abandon & go steal another. If that happens I also understand you don't want it back.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 08:12 PM   #16

I was once at a fishing tournament and one night six boats were stolen from the same hotel parking lot. The following week we tried to make sense of why some boats and not others.

I felt mine was skipped over because it was the ugliest boat in the lot and I'm only slightly joking. I also had double locks. The boat to the ball, the hitch pin was locked as well. The police theorized they just unclipped the hitch pin and attached to their truck.

I had a TT broken into when we stored it at a destination campground. The owner's kid and a friend were breaking in and playing.