Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-28-2021, 07:09 PM   #1

Trailer snot (putty ooze)

What do ya'll do to neatin this stuff up???
I'm in the process of re caulking everything with clear Lexen caulk and would like to make things look better.
PaulB12
Attached Thumbnails
20210627_120404.jpg  
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 07:13 PM   #2

Just use a plastic putty knife... Cut the edge of the butyl tape flush with the trim... Run your clear caulk.... Just remember nothing will stick to silicone caulk once it cures.. Not even new silicone..
I have been using geocell clear sealant myself.. Seems to be holding up so far

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 07:16 PM   #3

You can run tape along the outside edges and then carefully cut either the caulk or tape that extends. The reason that most applications are designed to have the caulk flow out from the joint/molding is that it assures that you don't have pinhole leaks or gaps in the caulking. Small price to pay for the assurance that rainwater, high winds etc. are not going to get underneath the molding.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 07:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadrunnerII View Post
Just use a plastic putty knife... Cut the edge of the butyl tape flush with the trim... Run your clear caulk.... Just remember nothing will stick to silicone caulk once it cures.. Not even new silicone..
I have been using geocell clear sealant myself.. Seems to be holding up so far

RoadrunnerII
If you're referring to Lexel, it's not silicone.
Oh, and you're right about silicone, I'll never use it!!!

PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 07:47 AM   #5

I've used the point end of a bamboo skewer to trim the ooze off. Soft enough that it doesn't hurt the siding.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 01:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
?..Small price to pay for the assurance that rainwater, high winds etc. are not going to get underneath the molding.
Gotta agree. I’m a neat freak, but I figure life is too short to worry about a little extra caulk. Better too much than too little.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 03:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Gotta agree. I’m a neat freak, but I figure life is too short to worry about a little extra caulk. Better too much than too little.
That's what she said....
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:30 AM   #8

I know this is an old post, but: tricks learned from years of using various caulks....

Urethane caulks (Like Lexel) are easily finger smoothed using mineral spirits after you've taped and run your bead. Remove the tape immediately and lightly go over the bead one more time with that spirits dipped finger.

Silicone, if you must use it for a bead, then it is smoothed with a finger dipped in denatured alcohol. Same tape and second smoothing technique for the best finish.

Latex caulks, these are smoothed using a light spray, and I mean really light mist, of water with dish detergent added. Wet finger, smooth. Pull tape and repeat.

For exterior applications of any type of caulk (windows, doors, etc), I never smooth them but instead have developed the ability to create what mimicks the "dime" look of good welds. This is an advantage to beat the effects of weather upon those seals and really extends the life after application.

Just an observation: newbies tend to cut the tip too small. To mimick the weld bead of dimes, you actually apply from the bottom up on vertical runs.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote