Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2016, 05:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankp877 View Post
I have decided to buy 4 of these and add the TIRE BEADS for balancing. Around here there are many tire shops to do the changeover for me.

I had the Kuhmo tires on my last trailer and was impressed with them.
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:57 PM   #22

what is interesting and EVERYONE should be aware of is that on larger and even some smaller trailers, the tires provided by the dealer do NOT exceed the trailer load, even empty. It is shocking that they get away with this but I know on our Jayco 375BHFS, the GVW rating and the empty trailer rating exceeds the combined rating of the Towmax tires on the trailer. This is a brand new unit from the factory. During our one day check out of the trailer, I mentioned this to the tech and he was baffled. Nice enough guy and new quite a bit but he was taken aback.

Several web sites I have checked out about buying an RV have indicated one thing to plan on is to change out the tires ASAP as this is not uncommon.

Happy towing.

Patrick
jayco375bhfs-livin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:06 PM   #23

The tires on my new 23RLSW total rating is less than the GVW of the trailer, but it was pointed out to me that 10-15% of the trailer's weight will be on the hitch, not the tires. And that makes the tire ratings a perfect match for my trailer. So no worries on that score.

roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:38 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
The tires on my new 23RLSW total rating is less than the GVW of the trailer, but it was pointed out to me that 10-15% of the trailer's weight will be on the hitch, not the tires. And that makes the tire ratings a perfect match for my trailer. So no worries on that score.

roger
What is going to generally be better though, a tire at 80% capacity, or a tire like in your case (guessing), that is closer to the max payload at say 92%? Or even closer to max payload? I know each tire is rated for "X", but with other factors that will reduce the weight capacity of a tire, the more reserve available the better (within reason!). Age, heat, speed, slightly low tire pressure, etc....

Maybe it is my crazy thinking, but I Plan on stepping up to a LR E for our trailer from a LR D. All for more reserve weight capacity. IF I remember correctly, our tires are rated for the total gvwr of our 32 or just slightly over the gvwr.

While this thread is related to tires, some manufactures do the same thing with a axle ratings + tw to have a higher gvwr!!! It seems they add the dry tw to the axles rating, and what do you know, a higher gvwr!!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:01 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayco375bhfs-livin View Post
what is interesting and EVERYONE should be aware of is that on larger and even some smaller trailers, the tires provided by the dealer do NOT exceed the trailer load, even empty. It is shocking that they get away with this but I know on our Jayco 375BHFS, the GVW rating and the empty trailer rating exceeds the combined rating of the Towmax tires on the trailer. This is a brand new unit from the factory. During our one day check out of the trailer, I mentioned this to the tech and he was baffled. Nice enough guy and new quite a bit but he was taken aback.

Several web sites I have checked out about buying an RV have indicated one thing to plan on is to change out the tires ASAP as this is not uncommon.

Happy towing.

Patrick
On a 5er you need to subtract the pin weight from the total trailer weight. I believe that will get you within the tire specifications.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:08 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayco375bhfs-livin View Post

Happy towing.r

Patrick
Thanks for the info. It's always good to learn about something so important!
cool-daddio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:40 AM   #27

Still, that cuts you awful close.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:22 PM   #28

Looking through my Jayco manual tonight, I saw this and thought it might provide some clarity on weight ratings of tires vs GVWR of the trailer.

Quote:
You may question the total weight capacity of the tires on your RV being less than the GVWR; this is correct. In order to calculate the actual weight on the RV tires, it is necessary to include the tongue weight. The tongue weight is actually being carried by your tow vehicle, not the RV tires.

For example: If the tires are rated at 2,000 lbs. each x 4 tires = 8,000 lbs. and the RV has a GVWR of 9,000 lbs. with a tongue weight of 1,200 lbs. The actual weight on the RV tires is 7,800lbs. which is within the weight rating of the tires.

If you have further questions, please contact your dealer or Jayco Customer Service.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:41 PM   #29

Jay Flight SLX 212qbw

We just bought a new Jay Flight SLX 212qbw and after reading as much as I could about camping trailers, tires were a big concern for me. The GVWR of the trailer is 6000#. With water and propane only, it is only 4220#. It has duel axles. The tires that came on the trailer are 205/75R14 Rainier ST 6 ply load range C with a max load single rating of 1760 pounds at 50psi.

Am I thinking right in saying 4 X 1750 = 7000# weight rating for my tires?
This would give me 1000# or almost 20% if I am correct?
jimcisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:21 PM   #30

Jim,

Welcome!!!

Your thinking is correct. Your tires have a total rating of just over 7k lbs, so it looks like you have plenty of reserve load capacity for a 6k oh gvwr.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:10 PM   #31

I have a Whitehawk 26DSRB . Has anyone tried D load range tires? What about Carlisle HD tires or light truck Tires?
tanman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:33 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
If you want to be anal about something, let it be your tires.

Check the pressure at least once a week. Monitor the pressure and temperature somehow, TPMS, good pressure gauge and a laser temperature gauge to check tire and hub temps when you stop while traveling.

A good physical inspection is also a habit that may pay off someday in a big way. A tread separation is very obvious if you know what to look for.

Any time your vehicle is worked on, check the tire pressure before leaving the dealership. They are famous for rotating tires and not adjusting the pressure.
Or if they check the pressure at all they put 40-50 psi in them regardless of what tire it is. My G614's wouldn't be happy at that pressure and "E" rated tires wouldn't be either.

X2 on check them and monitor them yourself.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:30 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman16 View Post
I have a Whitehawk 26DSRB . Has anyone tried D load range tires? What about Carlisle HD tires or light truck Tires?
Tan,

Welcome!!!

From your question, I am guessing you have lr c's on your WH right now? Just check the rim to make sure it will handle the max pressure of 65lbs for a lr d tire. It may be stamped on the back side of the rim somewhere, or possibly "inside" requiring the tire to be removed. Worst case email Jayco with your tt vin and rim type to ask.

Do you have 15" or 16" rims/tires? I would believe a 15" for a 26 DSRB, but not sure. The hard part is finding a 15" LT tire, and then finding one with the correct weighty rating. And you also need to check for proper clearance if you go to a larger tire, rim size and/or overall diameter.

The Carlisle HD model just recently came out this past spring. BUT a lot of people have had some great experiences with the Radial Trail RH model the last 4yrs or so. The HD is supposed to have a slightly lower rolling resistance, new tread pattern for water channeling, similar speed rating, and I can't recall if there was anything else. I had posted about the new tire they were releasing earlier in this thread after talking to a gentleman at Carlisle last fall. I have had two sets of Carlisles in 4yrs ('11-'15). Put a set on our first tt (pre RH), then when we sold it the new to us used tt needed tires so bought a set for that (RH's). I was very happy with them which is why I plan on going with the Carlisles again, either the RH or the new HD model for our 32 that we bought last July. As skeptical as I am on the factory tires, they seem to be doing ok.... Knock on wood!!! Most stops I check the tires with a laser thermometer and they range between 110*-120*. But do plan on replacing the factory tires before they are to old!

Going up a the next lr tire can't hurt, giving a little more reserve capacity. Also make sure you get newer tires, not some old ones that have been laying around a warehouse!!! Though the new Carlisle HD model is still fairly new, so probably no major concern there, but can't hurt to double check.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:18 PM   #34

Thanks for the info and the welcome! My WH has 14" rims on it that look nice and are supposed to dissipate the heat buildup. Had 2 blowouts 2 years ago on the original cheapo tires so i now have a mix of brands. Looking to change all 5 tires this season before heading out on the road. Looks like the Carlisle HD is the way to go.
tanman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:57 PM   #35

I have heard that Goodyear Marathon tires are possibly the best for trailers. What do you think?
Gtoglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:08 PM   #36

For ST tires, I've used Goodyear Marathon, Maxxis 8008, and Carlisle Radial Trail RH. The Maxxis and Carlisle tires were good; the Marathons were not good.

If I needed tires now, I would probably buy the Carlisle Radial Trail HD (newer version of the RH). They are available at Discount Tire, which has stores almost everywhere if there is a problem. Discount Tire can sell Maxxis, as well, but the Maxxis usually have to be ordered.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:20 PM   #37

Do you know if the Carlisle and Maxxis tires are American made? Thanks for you help.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:20 PM   #38

My first set of Marathons lasted through 30k miles of traveling. The tread wore down so much that the steel belts were showing on a couple of tires. But those were US made Marathons. I bought a second set (China manufactured), and only put about 1000 miles on them. From all the negativity I read about that particular model of tire, I decided to switch to Maxxis 8008 tires, and upgraded from the original load range C to a load range D tire. I feel confident about my tires now. Probably have 6 or 7 K miles on them so far, and they look good. Don't lose a drop of air either.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:25 PM   #39

Thanks. I definitely won't buy Chinese tires, I have seen several ugly failures on peoples rigs. I will check for USA made before I buy.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:30 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtoglenn View Post
Do you know if the Carlisle and Maxxis tires are American made? Thanks for you help.
I don't know of any trailer tires that are still made here in the U.S. I believe the Carlisles are made in China, and don't recall where the Maxxis are made overseas. The Carlisles have had a proven reputation the last Xyrs since the RH model came out. Even before the RH model the "plain" Radial Trail was doing great. They have really turned around from the issues it seemed they had quite a few years ago.

If you do find some home grown tires, please let us know!!!

I haven't don't it YET, but plan on replacing our stock tires with the new HD's from Carlisle. I had 2 sets over the course of 4yrs without any issues. Bought new tires for our Yellowstone, then when we bought the Dutchmen I bought a set of tires for it as well.