Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-18-2018, 10:59 AM   #81

Thank you Norty1. I ordered a TireMinder TPMS today. There is no price tag for being safe. This was a great sticky for the forum.
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:16 PM   #82

This was a big topic for us as newbies to rv'ing. We researched it like crazy before our maiden voyage. I recall being told that the max PSI is just that, the max and was advised to run just under the max to allow for pressure build up as we travelled. I run at about 65-68 PSI and when we get going the PSI gets up to the max 70 PSI, sometimes 72. Our maiden voyage was 4k miles and several smaller trips since without an issue. We don't exceed 65 mph at all. Too much at stake in and around our setup. Slower speed, more response time if something goes wrong or something in/on the road causes an issue.

We monitor our trailer tires with the EEZTire Tire Pressure Monitoring System - 4 Sensors (TPMS) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009BE069Q..._7meXAbYQ7T1A6

This has been great to have on the trailer and will eventually expand it to 8 sensors for the truck tires too. Their customer service is phenomenal!

Our tires are about to the end of the road as far as time goes, so we will probably end up with the maxxis brand based on all we have read.
Mr&MrsSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:44 AM   #83

Just had a flat on Sunday, unrelated to tire pressure. Some kind of small piece of metal, kicked up by the front tire of the trailer, went diagonally through the tread of the rear tire. TPMS alerted me to sudden pressure loss and I got it off I95 safely. Having it replaced with a Goodyear Endurance while we're camping.

Don't go without a TPMS!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:12 AM   #84

I am interested in TPMS. Do the tire pressure sensors need to be installed inside the wheel when the tire is off? Or are they a screw-on valve stem cap? How long to the batteries last?

Which brand do you recommend?
Old 04-04-2018, 08:37 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
I am interested in TPMS. Do the tire pressure sensors need to be installed inside the wheel when the tire is off? Or are they a screw-on valve stem cap? How long to the batteries last?

This is what we use-

EEZTire Tire Pressure Monitoring System - 4 Sensors (TPMS) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009BE069Q/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_7meXAbYQ7T1A6

Goes on the valve stem.
Mr&MrsSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:52 PM   #86

Quote:

I'm using a TireMinder TPMS, probably their cheapest model. It'll monitor up to 5 tires. The sensors screw onto the valve stem, although you can get them that go inside the tire. I'm beginning my 3rd season with mine, and have replaced just 1 battery in that time. IIRC they'll provide free batteries for the lifetime of the product, but I might be mis-remembering. I also got a repeater that I put inside the front of the trailer to boost the signal; when I bought it the repeater was part of a very nicely priced package. Works great. It let me know instantly when I got that tire puncture on Monday. Probably saved me from a dangerous situation on the highway, and also probably protected me against possible expensive damage to the trailer had the tire "blown" at highway speeds.

Roger

Old 04-10-2018, 07:34 AM   #87

I think I've narrowed it down to the Eez Tire system. There were some good reviews on it and I can get the 6 sensor kit for about 400 bucks which will leave me 2 extras to put on my cargo trailer or boat trailer. The Tire Minder looks pretty good too but I like the Eez Tire better. It seems strange that the Tire Minder requires wiring in a booster for all applications.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:57 AM   #88

Quote:
It seems strange that the Tire Minder requires wiring in a booster for all applications.
Booster is not required for all applications. The TireMinder package I bought came with it at a very nice price point, so I got it. From what I've seen it is probably not necessary with my rig. No matter which product you use, the effective distance the signal will travel is limited, and the farther your tires are from the base station, the weaker the signal is. The booster helps overcome interference and other factors.

Roger

Old 04-30-2018, 09:32 AM   #89

I just had a blowout on a trip and had to buy a new tire. The guy sole me a 10 ply and my other tires are 8 ply. I am going to buy three new tires. Should I buy three 10 ply tires. Is that OK to do?
The spare tire is on the trailer now which is 8 ply, but the trailer was purchased in 2013 so going to buy new tires at this site's recommendation.
Should I buy 10 ply and put the spare back under as the spare and have 4 10 ply tires or use the 10 ply as a spare and buy 3 new 8 ply tires.
Whatever is the best is what I want to do and cost doesn't matter. I only don't like to waste.
scapel is offline   Reply With Quote