Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-04-2019, 04:49 PM   #1

Trailer tracking device.

Anyone use or have experience with this or something similar?https://gpsandtrack.com/trailer-track-gps/
Old 08-04-2019, 05:50 PM   #2

I like the concept and would like to have one for my trailer. What happens after three years which will pass before you know it? What's the cost then? $100 a year is not too bad if it does work right. There's plenty of Amazon and eBay cheaper.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:20 PM   #3

the web site says $20 a year after 3 years.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:24 PM   #4

I had real time gps tracking on my service trucks so was wondering why you want it on your rv ? Are you renting it out or just worried it will be stolen ?
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:25 PM   #5

I dont think I would ever rent it out. But we do store it away from our house through the winter. Seems like a good idea and not really that expensive.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:19 PM   #6

If I understand the specs correctly, it only triangulated off cell towers, not true lat/long off satellite gps. If so then your better off with a good hitch lock & insurance . Besides, who is going to steal it when it's zero & snowing ?
A friend had a similar Verizon system on her moms car but she constantly was driving in areas of no service. Hard time keeping track. The real time gps systems are more expensive but I could know exactly where my trucks were 24/7.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:05 PM   #7

All the trackers I've seen work off cell towers. If there is one that works off satellite, then let's see it. thanks
Old 08-06-2019, 04:12 PM   #8

Inexpensive Tracking Device

While this technology isn't the greatest, it's still decent for the tiny amount invested. I'm talking about Bluetooth tracking devices like TILE. They're pretty cheap, have decent range for Bluetooth, have audible alarms and can be tracked via crowd sourcing/mobile app. You "lose" your trailer, activate the lost feature in the app and the device ID is updated in the cloud. Then anyone with that app that's within range will communicate with that device and you'll see where it's at! Call it poor man's GPS. After that, a good lock and chain can't hurt either! Good Luck!
Old 08-07-2019, 07:24 PM   #9

How does it use cell towers and the 4G network without an account with a service? Do they have a general use contract with one of the providers? Sorry too many questions on this aspect of its use. Also the price seems very high.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingva View Post
How does it use cell towers and the 4G network without an account with a service? Do they have a general use contract with one of the providers? Sorry too many questions on this aspect of its use. Also the price seems very high.
Cellular service providers all use 4th generation (4G) technology now. Any device that uses a SIM to communicate over cellular service requires service. If you're not paying for a subscription, it's possible the vendor incorporated it in the sale of the device and there's a limitation on service - like 1 year, 2 years, etc.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
All the trackers I've seen work off cell towers. If there is one that works off satellite, then let's see it. thanks
There are trackers that incorporate GPS (Global Positioning System) to keep tabs on where it is. If cellular isn't used and it's just GPS, it's PASSIVE tracking. Meaning you attach the device to something and it uses GPS to track where it's going. You detach it later, hook it up to a computer and download the data to see where it's been. Great option to keep tabs on your kids. Not so much if your trailer walks off. Tracking devices that use GPS with Cellular service are ACTIVE trackers because the information is transmitted in real time and you can see where it's at on the fly.