Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-05-2022, 08:19 AM   #1

Travel Cover for Tandem Bike

For those who take their tandem bike camping, is there a good travel cover that will stand up to traveling on a bike rack? I have been searching and it seems clear there are covers for storage and for travel. However, I have not found a travel cover that fits a tandem bike. I will be interested in learning how my fellow tandem riders protect their bike while traveling.

Camping & cycling!!

RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 08:26 AM   #2

The trick to getting a bike cover to withstand wind buffeting during travel is to secure it down with a cargo net. You simply put the cover on the bike, and then stretch and secure the cargo net over the cover. This works incredibly well. I've used this technique and no damage occurs to either the cover or the bike.

Amazon sells tandem bike covers. You may need to use two cargo nets for it.
HAL9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 01:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL9001 View Post
The trick to getting a bike cover to withstand wind buffeting during travel is to secure it down with a cargo net. You simply put the cover on the bike, and then stretch and secure the cargo net over the cover. This works incredibly well. I've used this technique and no damage occurs to either the cover or the bike.

Amazon sells tandem bike covers. You may need to use two cargo nets for it.
I had not considered cargo netting over top of the bike cover. Great idea!! I will look into that option.
RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 01:48 PM   #4

Just for reference. I was traveling the interstate a couple weeks ago and seen someone carrying bikes on a rear bike rack. They had covers on the bikes. With the covers on what I couldn't see was their tail lights on their car. On an RV this might not be a concern do to the extra width. But then again you said tandem bike so it may be a concern... Something to think about.
Dbunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 10:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbunke View Post
Just for reference. I was traveling the interstate a couple weeks ago and seen someone carrying bikes on a rear bike rack. They had covers on the bikes. With the covers on what I couldn't see was their tail lights on their car. On an RV this might not be a concern do to the extra width. But then again you said tandem bike so it may be a concern... Something to think about.
This is correct. After you mount any bike(s) to the back of an RV, be absolutely certain that both the rear lights still can be seen. If not, this can be a considerable safety hazard, not to mention that you might get pulled over.

My bike occluded the left rear light. I had to add auxiliary lights to the rear bumper.
HAL9001 is offline   Reply With Quote