Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-15-2012, 05:28 PM   #1

Travel medical. Insurance

My wife and I started our 8 week planned RV trip last Monday. We traveled from the Canadian boarder where we live by to 108 miles south of Seattle to a private campground in a area called Silver Creek. We went for a hike in a state park where I lost my balance on a log and fell about 5 feet to the ground. I landed on another log that was covered with brush,which led to a trip to the closest hospital in a town called Morton. A X-ray confirmed I fractured 3 lumbar vertebrae. Well so much for our California holiday. Tomorrow we leave for home to see my doctor so I can get more meds. The campground called Paradice has let us keep our trailer on the nice site it's on. I,ll heal up and we will try it again in two or three weeks. Glad I bought travel medical insurance.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #2

Sorry to hear that and I hope all turns out well for you.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:32 PM   #3

Oh my----so sorry to hear that! Hope you're not in too much pain! Get better soon!

Replacement: 2013 Winnebago Minnie 2101FBS

2010 Honda Ridgeline
1988 Perris Pacer "Bean" (molded fiberglass camper)
PugMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #4

Thanks for your concern, yes I'm sore but know that over time I will get better. What my wife and I found interesting was the clerk in emergency was also the switchboard operator. The x-ray tech was also the porter and ct scan tech. They told me they don't turn anyone away that needs care. They sort out the billing later. I just want to say how important it is to have medical insurance when traveling to another country.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Old 06-15-2012, 11:50 PM   #5

good info. Will keep in mind as our travels lead us closer to the borders.

1985 'J' Series 2050
1997 Ram 1500
2004 Jeep WranglerX
Camping and Wheeling...it's what I do!
LilWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #6

I wish my parents would listen to me about medical insurance. They are Canadian's who go south every winter and they don't want to pay the price for it. I am very concerned about what could happen to them.. my dad is one of those tough old guys who doesn't take anything seriously, and makes a joke out of anything you try to press him on. I finally said to him one day.. "Dad, what if one of you dies in the USA?".. His response was "Well I guess whichever one of us was left would just drive back across the border with the other one in the back".. "We would run the air of course." I have to believe he is not serious!! I will tell him your story.. maybe he will listen.

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #7

That must have been some small hospital. I'm an ER clerk and would never have time to do my job and switchboard.
TanyaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:32 PM   #8

I buy my travel insurance from a company here in Canada that I paid for two months when I went to Yuma but it also covers me for the rest of the year up to 30 days each time I cross the border. I plan on going to Montana in about a week if things work out and all I will have to do is buy some insurance for my wife for two weeks.

I have met several people in Yuma that did not buy travel insurance when they went south and decided to take a chance and not buy it because of cost...... and then I have heard of some horror stories on folks that got caught without it. It will never happen to me.
Albertaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:26 AM   #9

I am happy to report that after returning to B.C. , I healed up rather quickly. We restarted are planned California holiday after 9 days at home. We had just a super holiday. We stayed at a 1000 trails resort called Lake of the Springs. It was over a 100 degrees most of the time we were there. I love hot weather as it relieves a condition I got from chemo called neuropathy. We had a awning arm bend and our antenna got tangled in a tree which broke one of the aluminum struts but aside from that the trailer worked well.