Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-26-2019, 10:46 AM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunafulltime View Post
What do you large TT folks think about manuevering your large TT? Is it difficult in town or getting into campsites? We are looking at Eagles that are 36'-40'.
Longer trailers are easier to maneuver as they are slower to react to the tow vehicle. I've seen long units get backed into some tight sites, but most of the operators were commercial truck drivers. What you will find is campsites with length restrictions due to short sites. There are places you may want to go to, but won't fit. Our state park reservation website has a place to type in camper length, and it then limits what individual sites can accommodate that length.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:58 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Longer trailers are easier to maneuver as they are slower to react to the tow vehicle. I've seen long units get backed into some tight sites, but most of the operators were commercial truck drivers. What you will find is campsites with length restrictions due to short sites. There are places you may want to go to, but won't fit. Our state park reservation website has a place to type in camper length, and it then limits what individual sites can accommodate that length.
You are right about the campsite limitations. Any lengthy unit must consider these limitations at various locations. I have also read and heard about the long trailer's slower response to the TV. I see that as a plus for a long TT. We used to get "squirly" back in the day with out popup. We noticed a big backing improvement with our 26' TT.
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:21 AM   #23

For those who may find the interior stairs in a 5r a bit of a safety issue, the lack of stairs in a TT can be a plus.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:35 AM   #24

Quote:
ONCE AGAIN, as the OP, I created this post to learn from those who prefer a TT over a Fiver. I do not know how I can make it more clear. I know all of the advantages of a fiver. This is not a TT vs. Fiver post. It is a "Why I prefer a TT" post. I am working through the advantages and reasons to prefer a TT. I know it is not intentional, but Please Stop high-jacking this thread! Thank You! And thank you to those who are maintaining the integrity of the post.
Well excuse me. I'll rephrase.

The only downside to a 5th wheel is the additional steps.
bender88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:12 AM   #25

I prefer a TT at this point because it means a smaller (1/2 ton) truck for my daily driving. My driving is split 80/20 daily/towing.

In the future when my driving is more like 60/40, then I will change to a 5th wheel.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:58 AM   #26

3 main reasons I tend to gravitate toward TT's:

1) I like to have room in the bed of the pickup to bring additional "stuff" along if I want. Plus I don't like the idea of having the hitch in the bed "permanently". I do realize there are some hitches that can be moved relatively easily, but it seems to be a bit of an inconvenience, especially since I used my truck to haul stuff ALL THE TIME when it wasn't pulling the trailer.

2) Price. I'm sure there's some room here, and it's not a universal truth, but in my experience, you can get relatively similar options, floorplans and space (notwithstanding storage space, but then I have ALL of my truck bed) in a TT for often quite a bit less money.

3) I'm more comfortable with trailers vs anything else. I've been towing bumper-pull type trailers of various sizes all my life, so I know how to handle them.

FWIW, the only 5er I ever saw that got my heart pumping a little bit was a front-living model made by Open Range.

As for maneuvering with a TT vs 5er, I kind of agree with the other posters who say basically "it's a wash". There can be difficult situations for any rig anywhere. I only had a problem in one place with my TT, and it was a perfect storm. I really wanted that particular space (there were others available that would have been FAR easier), and I just couldn't get into it. I went at it probably 5 or 6 times. Finally pushed the trailer WAY out the back of the space into the grass and pulled it forward where it needed to be. Would a 5er have gone in easier? Probably. But in 5 years that was the one and only time I got into a "bad" spot, and I CHOSE to be there.

My trailer was 33-1/3' ball to bumper.

All that being said, I would probably still consider a 5er. Depends on the situation, and more importantly the floor plan. I REALLY liked that front-living model I looked at; it would have pulled me over if I had been in the market and able to swing it.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 11:02 AM   #27

For a larger unit with creature comforts I like a fiver. The towing and hooking experience is much better than the 30’ TT I once owned. All the other things that have already been stated I’d agree with as well. Towing a long travel trailer is not an appealing concept for me.

For something smaller. National/old park friendly, a travel trailer. I really like some of the shorter small travel travel trailers. 25’ and under. Great for boon docking and small sites. Easy to cool and easy to heat. In an ideal world, I’d have one of each. And, maybe a truck camper too for solo trips. They’ve all got their advantages.

People always mention the stairs. I had an HT fw and never understood that. Now with an Eagle fw, I get it. Much more climbing going on in this thing. You’d think it would be negligible but it isn’t. Stairs getting in involve more climbing as well.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 11:19 AM   #28

Quote;
I am liking the bed access, too. I also am an 8' bed guy. Do any of you use a bed slide for easy access? I am looking at this from an ease of operation view as I age.

I purchased one of the rods they use on the manual awnings to pull them down and leave it in my truck. Now whenever I need something towards the front I use the hook and pull it out which means I rarely ever have to climb up into the bed.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 01:07 PM   #29

Another vote for bed space for me. We bought an almost 38' TT from ball to bumper last year and love it! Getting the WDH setup right took some patience, but once setup pulling it with my F250 has been a dream. Now I can throw our bikes, corn hole boards, and fire wood in the bed of the truck and head out for our trips.

Due to the length, getting into some spots can be a challenge especially in state parks, but I haven't found a place I want to go yet that I can't find a suitable spot, sometimes just takes a little more planning.

Maneuvering it was a bit of a learning curve as I hadn't pulled anything that long, but with a little practice I am very comfortable with it. My DW won't dare pull it, but I don't really want her to anyhow!

With it being such a large TT, we have more than adequate storage, we have several cabinets that are empty in fact, I can't imagine what else we would want to bring that would require the FW storage caverns.

Now down the road as we approach retirement, all of that may change as we will likely head out on longer trips, but by then we will be getting old and all of the extra steps may be a hinderance for us as well.

But the top 3 deciding factors for us would be still using the bed, the lower price for similar features, and the clearance issues, we even have some bridges here in Indiana a 5er wouldn't fit under.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:09 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWedell View Post
Quote;
I am liking the bed access, too. I also am an 8' bed guy. Do any of you use a bed slide for easy access? I am looking at this from an ease of operation view as I age.
I have a bed slide and love it. I moved it to my 3rd Avalanche I owned.

And keeping with the thread, I prefer TT because even though my Avalanche can tow 12,000 lbs, it cant tow a 5th wheel
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 01:34 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender88 View Post
Well excuse me. I'll rephrase.

The only downside to a 5th wheel is the additional steps.
Thank you! I really did not mean any offense, and I am sorry - text does not do the best job with tone. I am trying to make a big decision. I was just trying to defend my thread. I have had a lot of them taken down roads that were not the point, and this one means a lot to me and DW and our future. Thanks again for your input. I extend my apologies for any misunderstanding of tone.
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:50 PM   #32

I understand what you’re going through. Before my fifth wheel I had an eagle 338 RETS travel trailer and we loved it. I actually like it better than the fifth wheel we have now but our decision to purchase the fifth wheel was based on the fact that we go to Florida and back every year as snowbirds and I did not like the way the trailer traveled on i95. My wife is partially disabled and she like the idea of the trailer being flat walking from one end to the other And the fifth wheel has steps to go into the bedroom. Also setting up the trailer was a little more work leveling it unless you can get auto leveling on it which I don’t know if it’s available. If we were going to stay in Florida and travel back-and-forth with the car I would definitely go for the travel trailer where you could drive it down once and leave it there. Plus the fact it’s half the price of a fifth wheel. I hope this helps. We have been campers since 1967 and have had all different types. In the end you’ll find it comes to personal preference what you like and dislike about them and your budget. We also learned the hard way that if you have a problem walking or climbing a stair our fifth wheel can really be a pain in the ass.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:04 PM   #33

I started with a TT, but when I upgraded my truck I seriously looked at 5th wheels. My neighbor has always had a 5th, so he was a wealth of knowledge. His 5th is a toy hauler, so if you are going that route defiantly a 5th is the way to go. TT toy haulers tend to be tail happy due to weight distribution.

At the end of the day, I like TT because you can get a lot of bang for your buck, and the bed of the truck is not obstructed with a heavy hitch which in most cases, is a pain in the ass to remove. I’m a Home Depot weekender, so having this thing in the bed that doesn’t allow plywood to be thrown in simply doesn’t work for me.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:48 AM   #34

A few reasons why we chose a TT over a 5th wheel in no particular order.

1. No stairs inside.
2. More "bang for the buck"
3. The model we chose (330RSTS) has 7' 3" ceilings which mitigates the "closed in" feeling many other TT's have by a LOT and ceiling heights are consistent with LR heights.
4. Could get pretty much all the amenities a 5th offered in our TT including bedroom slide, opposing LR slides, overall length/roominess, residential fridge, w/d prep and had we ordered about 2 weeks later, auto leveling. Heck, they even have heated and enclosed docking stations.
5. Lease my trucks so don't always have to worry about whether they have 5th wheel prep in them. Leasing companies frown on you punching holes in the bed to install one.
6. Actually more overall and more flexible storage space by keeping the bed of the truck available and covered.
7. Lower overall height helps a lot with trees and other obstructions when traveling and I feel less wind resistance as well.
8. Absolutely NO chance of an accident happening where the hitch/coupler isn't seated properly and when pulling away, having the RV come crashing down on the bed/tailgate.
9. Don't need a dually to pull even the largest/heaviest of TT's available.

A couple of downsides

1. Can be a B* getting in and out of some parks/spots as well as fuel stops when your truck is a gasser and long bed truck.
2. Can't have a ceiling fan due to insufficient space between top of slide and ceiling.
3. If you already have inadequacy issues, they are amplified when your in a park full of 5th wheels and Class A's! Luckily, that's not me! LOL
Old 09-30-2019, 06:56 AM   #35

Quote:
Thank you to those of you who are sticking with the point of this post. I am looking for the "Why choose TT" point of view, not fivers are preferred for whatever reason input. I totally know the fiver pros.

I also like the feel of the big TTs, especially the big Eagles. DW and I really like the Eagle 332CBOK. Something about the single level/no stairs is very appealing. I believe this model also has 8'7" interior height. We will fulltime it, so we will be parked for months at a time.
The EAgle 332CBOK is the model we just purchased. It has the feel of a fiver in a TT. Really, the biggest reason we didn't go with a fiver is the bed space. That, and the price of the TT with all the bells and whistles was considerably less than the fiver with the same options and space. So far, love this floorplan and the interior. It has the residential refrigerator which was a huge factor as well, my wife always takes way more food than we need.
mbell5263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:33 AM   #36

Quote:
[B]I believe this model also has 8'7" interior height.
Hopefully, this is just a typo? But here is what I know.

Full size Eagle TT's have a 7' 3" ceiling height due to the availability of a residential refrigerator option and needing taller slide outs to handle them. Eagle HT TT's I are slightly less than that. Read somewhere they were 7' even inside but maybe someone that has an Eagle HT TT can measure to make sure?

Regardless, NONE of the Eagle travel trailers (or any other brand's TT's either) have anywhere near an 8'7" interior height.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:42 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay40 View Post
Hopefully, this is just a typo? But here is what I know.

Full size Eagle TT's have a 7' 3" ceiling height due to the availability of a residential refrigerator option and needing taller slide outs to handle them. Eagle HT TT's I are slightly less than that. Read somewhere they were 7' even inside but maybe someone that has an Eagle HT TT can measure to make sure?

Regardless, NONE of the Eagle travel trailers (or any other brand's TT's either) have anywhere near an 8'7" interior height.
The interior height of the Jayco Eagle 332CBOK is 87" or 7.25'
mbell5263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:38 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomson View Post
Also, the truck gets better mileage when running the shell than an open bed.
I've wondered about this, have you calculated how much better?
Old 09-30-2019, 11:08 AM   #39

tt

See below for what we tow now. My wife and I have towed thousands of miles from Alaska to the Maritimes and back to Wi. Our tt have always been under 30 ft bumper to hitch. 27 ft has been the longest. On those trips we traveled alone and had plenty of room for the two us. A number of parks, provincial, state, national etc. plus gas stations it was easier to get into the campsites with a tt under 30 ft.
For our longer trips I used every bit of space available in the truck bed and still be able to close the tonnau(sp) cover. Compressor, genny, extra spare tires, gas jugs, lawn chairs and most of the tools from my garage. I would not like to give up that option. In the boonies, mountain roads, narrow coastal roads, shorter is better. Also the shorter exterior height is a plus for us, winter inside storage and windy conditions.
I have an equalizer hitch set up properly and have never had a sway problem.
When we do get a high sudden wind gust the whole rig truck and trailer move together
Bob
380 watts of solar
2013 1500 Silverado 5.3 4x4 ext cab
Equalizer hitch 1,000/10,000
Firestone Airlift airbags
geezerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 11:44 AM   #40

My current truck cannot tow a 5ver. But that is not what lead me to a TT over a 5ver. It really just came down to what we liked when we bought our HTT. For a family it is really nice and roomy. I use to do a lot of Mountaineering activities, and sleeping with the bunk windows open, remind me of some of those days. FYI, I still sleep in a tent nearly one weekend every month (scouts).

Move ahead 7 years, since our last purchase. We are considering purchasing a custom living quarters horse trailer, to haul our Model T. It will require a new truck. It is LOW to the ground, virtually no steps. Getting in and out of bed will be more of a crawl then a walk. I am fine with that. What I do not like is the sewer connections . In a few years it might just be in the driveway. But by then, we may go another way too. We will see.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote