Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2021, 09:07 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
8 cu/ft fridge and solar are both options, so as I said they possibly couldn't get gas/elec and included 12 v with the solar. It only draws 8 amps so your panel should keep up.

MSRP sheet would give definitive answer, but adding both was only a $400 up-grade.
That sounds right. Our standard gas/elec fridge is 6 cubic feet.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 06:28 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
8 cu/ft fridge and solar are both options, so as I said they possibly couldn't get gas/elec and included 12 v with the solar. It only draws 8 amps so your panel should keep up.

MSRP sheet would give definitive answer, but adding both was only a $400 up-grade.
Grumpy , I admit to not having read the whole manual but is there a chart of what draws how much power?

Our first shakedown was at a serviced campground. Our second next week will be boondocking for four days.

I have to admit I don't miss crawling on the floor to look at what is in the bottom of the fridge.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 11:15 AM   #23

Reducing chance of fire.

I saw an article pertaining to RV Refrigerators that run on propane and wanted to comment here.

They suggested putting rat/mice poison such as a disposable bait station block. Reason was that mice like to build nests from paper and other such available things in the RV and a popular place is in the RV refrigerator near where the propane burner is. If that was the case it would be easily ignitable thus possibly causing a fire. After reading that I unscrewed the vent cover under my refrig and placed a couple of Tomcat Mouse Killer bait stations with the clear cover so I can go back later and see the results. Just makes sense to spend a few dollars to possibly prevent a fire.
Joey55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 01:04 PM   #24

I always run down the road with propane on for the fridge.

By way, learned myself that my "beer fridge" in the outdoor kitchen cools WWWWAAAAYYYY faster than my inside RV fridge due to being a traditional mini fridge. If our indoor fridge is not cool due to I forgot to start it day before leaving. I just put everything in the outdoor kitchen fridge. Yes I cool the outdoor kitchen fridge like a cooler when traveling with "beer ice" as I call it.
Chiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 12:12 PM   #25

If we let the safety police take over the world , we will all have to stay home and wait to die of natural causes.
Superseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 12:17 PM   #26

Common sense says turn propane off when travelling for safety reasons. Some people like to live on the edge :-) Most people have been lucky, a few haven't been. I side on being safe when I travel ;-) I do turn my propane off and burn off any gas left in the system by turning my stove on until it burns out after shutting the tanks off. Been doing it for over 10 years :-) So - to each his own. Do you feel lucky?
Livermore, CA
Elefantdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 12:24 PM   #27

[QUOTE=Elefantdude;970916 Do you feel lucky?[/QUOTE]

Luck has nothing to do with it......

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 12:25 PM   #28

Love some of these explanations!
h3is3m2n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 12:48 PM   #29

I am just saying it does happen. It may not have happened to you, but it has happened to approximately 20,000 RVers a year. I do not want to be a statistic of that number ;-)
Better safe than sorry, that is all I am saying. Common Sense ;-)
Tell that to the people who have lost an RV to a fire. You may have not, so I am happy for you :-)
https://www.rvtravel.com/fires1522/
Livermore, CA
Old 06-09-2021, 01:24 PM   #30

Electric on site, propane on the road, I also want frozen Ice cream and cold beer
Old 06-09-2021, 01:24 PM   #31

I have only been RV'ing for the past 25 years, a lot fewer than some of the "Old Timers" on this board. I can only remember seeing 3 or 4 RV fires in that time and none were propane caused. One was a wheel bearing that got so hot it started a grease fire and the other two started as tire fires. I have been behind RV's with smoking tires where the drivers were oblivious to their impending doom. I also remember seeing a Class A burning because of an engine fire...no propane involved..

I keep my refrigerator and furnace clean and free from dust and dirt. I inspect them before every trip, as well as my propane tanks and lines. I run a TPMS on the truck and trailer tires, as well as check the wheel temps with a gauge at every fuel stop. I have GasStop valves on both propane tanks as a backup that will shut off all propane the instant they detect an abnormal amount of propane flow.

The statistics that are quoted in the article you posted really don't tell the whole story. The number of those cause by refrigerator fires is never mentioned.

So, I'll continue to enjoy cold beer at the end of my daily drive, but I do thank you for your concern.

https://www.technorv.com/gasstop-pro...-style-gsusa2/

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 01:38 PM   #32

I agree with Grumpy! I've been RVing since 1973 with 5 different units & have ALWAYS ran with my LP on & have NEVER HAD A PROBLEM!

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 01:42 PM   #33

Awesome R66 :-) It sounds like you have all your bases covered regarding RV Safety. Good for you and enjoy your cold beer! Drink one for me too, cuz it is not as cold as yours. LOL!
Livermore, CA
Old 06-09-2021, 02:14 PM   #34

We run with our refrigerator on gas, but we really want to reform.

Considering an 12volt compressor Refrigerator- It seems to be the ideal one for us, as we don't boondock.

Not ready to spend that kind of money to replace a working refrigerator, though.

If we could find a smaller 12v refrigerator/freezer for our outside kitchen though, we might do that. Anybody know of one like that? (Not one of those cooler-looking ones, but a dorm sized one that is 12v only)
Old 06-09-2021, 02:15 PM   #35

If all you have is beer in the fridge, then the worst case scenario is warm beer when you get to the camp (very bad deal unless you are from Germany). On the other hand, if you have fresh meats like chicken, hamburger, etc. (and other foods) and you let it get into what the FDA says is the danger zone (40-140f) because you are not running the fridge, then the bacteria will start to multiply rapidly and a lot of the bacteria can cause serious food poisoning issues. Most RV websites don't have a lot of people writing about getting the !@#$ while camping, but it happens often to those who don't keep their raw food below 40f.

So for most of us, a cold beer and safe food is very important. It wouldn't hurt to check the propane lines and components as part of your routine so that you can safely keep the fridge running. Also, an internal fan in the fridge will help keep the food more evenly cooled. I wouldn't even consider not running the fridge personally, and if I feared the propane I would likely see what it would take inverter\battery wise to keep the fridge running. Remember, food safety is no accident. lol ~CA
Old 06-09-2021, 02:41 PM   #36

If we don't turn ours on we want be able to turn our fridge on and all of our food will go back, ask me how I know, when we was going on a 1300 miles trip and about time we got to our main destination all of our food was back the wife was not happy. So to answer your question we turn our on it's not a problem.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 02:53 PM   #37

As another thought, especially for those who are most concerned, I would highly recommend (for everyone) to purchase a handheld propane leak detector and on a regular basis run it along the tank connections, flexible hoses (move them a bit while testing for leaks) and then in the fridge area where the flame and lines are, the water heater area, oven/stove top, and anywhere else you have propane lines. These detectors (I don't have this specific model to comment on it in particular) are much more sensitive to picking up leaks than any other methods I have tried. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BM1XWB8...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Also, remember propane is heavier than air, so run the tester below the lines and fittings instead of above, all around is best but particularly below the lines and connections.
Old 06-09-2021, 03:12 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
As another thought, especially for those who are most concerned, I would highly recommend (for everyone) to purchase a handheld propane leak detector and on a regular basis run it along the tank connections, flexible hoses (move them a bit while testing for leaks) and then in the fridge area where the flame and lines are, the water heater area, oven/stove top, and anywhere else you have propane lines. These detectors (I don't have this specific model to comment on it in particular) are much more sensitive to picking up leaks than any other methods I have tried. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BM1XWB8...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Also, remember propane is heavier than air, so run the tester below the lines and fittings instead of above, all around is best but particularly below the lines and connections.
I would concur with this recommendation. The detectors are inexpensive and easy to use and a lot more effective than the liquid leak detection fluids. I keep one in the trailer and use it prior to every trip.

Also, I would recommend installing a ARP Fridge Defend Thermal Protection device to monitor boiler temps. Excessive boiler temps can damage the unit over time causing premature failure, and if high enough can cause a fire. This can be a problem regardless of which heat source is being used - 120v AC or Propane. The device will shut down the fridge when an overheat condition is detected, and do it before the temps rise to a level where damage of the unit can occur and well before any fire danger.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 03:16 PM   #39

I have no problem with Joey55 asking this question.
To each their own. The few RVs I have been seen burning on the roadside are enough to keep me from running the fridge on propane while going down the road. I am sure it wasn't children playing with matches that set them on fire. Could have bee e multitude of reasons, however I will take care of the items I can control and if my beer is not frosty... it certainly won't be warm.
Safe trails.

2010 Eagle 256 RKS
2018 F150 SCREW Shortbed with 3.5L TT
From Cheyenne, Wyoming
Markomyt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 03:48 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
I would concur with this recommendation. The detectors are inexpensive and easy to use and a lot more effective than the liquid leak detection fluids. I keep one in the trailer and use it prior to every trip.

Also, I would recommend installing a ARP Fridge Defend Thermal Protection device to monitor boiler temps. Excessive boiler temps can damage the unit over time causing premature failure, and if high enough can cause a fire. This can be a problem regardless of which heat source is being used - 120v AC or Propane. The device will shut down the fridge when an overheat condition is detected, and do it before the temps rise to a level where damage of the unit can occur and well before any fire danger.
Thanks, I had thought that the ARP device was simply to protect the fridge and didn't realize it also will protect against fires as well. Good to know for sure. I saw an image on the link and that reminded me that I have an automatic extinguisher I purchased for my last RV and took it out when I sold it. I think I will install it in my current RV as that would work better than having it on a shelf in my shop. ~CA
Attached Thumbnails
rv-fridge-compartment-suppression.jpg