Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-14-2016, 11:35 AM   #1

Traveling with trailer through freezing conditions - advice please!!

Hey guys, going to be traveling over Donner Summit (forecast for this saturday will probably be in the 20's over the pass at the time we're crssing) with our trailer this Saturday from Reno headed to Northern California. Currently trailer is winterized, but would like to de-winterize it before we leave to make sure all the plumbing is in working order before we get to our destination. I guess my options are:

1. de-winterize, check plumbing, re-winterize with RV antifreeze

2. de-winterize, check plumbing, blow out water lines (simply for simplicity over antifreeze)

3. de-winterize, check plumbing, travel over summit with heater running only until I get to non-freezing temps, then turn heater off.

This will be the first time we have traveled with our trailer through freezing temps so any advice will helpful.
mtedelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:48 AM   #2

How long will the trailer be exposed to freezing temperatures?
How long does it take water in plastic tanks or lines to freeze?
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 12:06 PM   #3

Short Trip Over the Pass

The temps over the pass are similar to Reno. If you are concerned for the 90 minute drive from Reno to warmer weather on the Sacramento side, then you should be more concerned with the temps in Reno.

Your extra time sitting idle in Reno will do as much or more to freeze the pipes as driving for 90 minutes over the pass.

Use your engine to slow down coming down the hill. It can be steep and fast coming down the mountain.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarkl View Post
How long will the trailer be exposed to freezing temperatures?

How long does it take water in plastic tanks or lines to freeze?

Trailer would be exposed to freezing temps for about 2 hours. I wouldn't plan on de-winterizing, and checking the plumbing until right before go time. Not sure how long it would take water to freeze [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2016, 03:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbles View Post
The temps over the pass are similar to Reno. If you are concerned for the 90 minute drive from Reno to warmer weather on the Sacramento side, then you should be more concerned with the temps in Reno.

Your extra time sitting idle in Reno will do as much or more to freeze the pipes as driving for 90 minutes over the pass.

Use your engine to slow down coming down the hill. It can be steep and fast coming down the mountain.

Thanks for the info. Basically, we bought the trailer over the summer, first trailer ever so also first time winterizing a trailer. I'm sure I winterized it just fine, but in the off chance I didnt my thought was that I would know about it before we leave Reno rather then when we get to our destination. I'm considering de-winterizing it, checking the water system, and then re-winterizing it after verifying everything is ok amd before we head over the hill. Been over the hill quite a few times with the trailer, but this will be the first time we have ever traveled in freezing temps.

Old 12-14-2016, 04:17 PM   #6

You don't have to dewinterize it to find out if you have a leak ( which I doubt ) just pressure up the antifreeze that's in the system now. Just put the plastic tube at your pump into your gal. jug and turn it on, now you can check for leaks. That's the way I do it.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 12-14-2016, 09:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
You don't have to dewinterize it to find out if you have a leak ( which I doubt ) just pressure up the antifreeze that's in the system now. Just put the plastic tube at your pump into your gal. jug and turn it on, now you can check for leaks. That's the way I do it.

Ok great that sounds like a good idea! Basically just re-winterizing an already winterized trailer. I guess that would still bypass some of the plumbing fittings, but would cover the majority......

Old 12-14-2016, 10:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtedelen View Post
Ok I guess that would still bypass some of the plumbing fittings, but would cover the hmajority......

No, that covers all of them, hot and cold sides.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post

X2 on this method. I grew up in the Reno area and spent many years camping and hunting during the winter months.
Now we live in Alaska, and I still camp and hunt year round. I have had my trailer out in 25 - 30 below zero. Of course at that extreme there are lots of other measures to be taken.

2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 07:55 PM   #10

Thanks everyone for the advice!!! Pressurized the system as recommended, added a little more anti freeze and no leaks. Now just hoping the roads are good tomorrow.....

Old 12-21-2016, 02:27 PM   #11

Well trip went just fine, no issues so thanks everyone for the help!!