Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #11

Thanks Everyone!

There are many items mentioned that I was aware of and many more that hadn't occured to me.

As for the money situation - no one needs to worry as I don't have $10,000 available to bring with me on vacation. Although, it would be really nice if I had that much.

If anyone else has any tips I sure would appreciate hearing them.

KathyDiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
and be put on a watch list
Canada doesn't have the same kind of watch list as the US, and it's not nearly as easy to get on.

Rick

12_AMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12_AMS View Post
Canada doesn't have the same kind of watch list as the US, and it's not nearly as easy to get on.

Rick
How do I get on this list?

I have been going to the States for years, and they never gave me a watch! :hihi:

2012 Silverado 2500HD CC Z71 Duramax/Allison

Curt Q20 Hitch with Roller

Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs

:Canada:

Gibby3275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:39 AM   #14

We travel to the States often and the list changes frequently. At one time we were allowed to bring in vegetables, but not meat, other times meat but not vegetables. Last year we had our peppers and tomatoes seized, due to some outbreak of insects in Ontario that affected those two. Any product of USA is allowed to be brought back in to the USA. Here's a link that will answer your question: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-personal-use
There are also rules for bringing pets into the States. We have 2 Golden Retreivers and have been asked on a few occassions to show their vaccination records. There are specific rules for dogs under 8 months of age, as well.
For the most part we have no problems, but we buy the majority of groceries in the States, to avoid any hassles. They have better selection and lower prices most of the time anyways. Enjoy your trip.
tnka trk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:55 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyDiane View Post
Soon we will be camping in the US.

I understand there are restrictions on the food, etc. you can bring from Canada into the US.

Does anyone from Canada have any advise on what we should/should not bring into the US with us and any advise for crossing the border.
In addition, should have animal vaccination records, receipts for "expensive" items(camera, computers, jewelry, watches, etc). US or Canadian customs very seldom check, but they can and anything which might be subject to tax etc. you might have to prove where and when you purchased the item. Both will sometimes randomly pull some one out of line and check inside vehicle and RV.
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:13 PM   #16

I have never paid to cross into the states. I just got back from a weekend in Washington. We do most of our fresh food shopping there it is way cheaper than Canada. Dairy is about half price and beer is over half price. Just so our American friends know we pay about $48 for 24 beer. I just bought 24 MGD's for $18.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:06 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek700 View Post
I have never paid to cross into the states. I just got back from a weekend in Washington. We do most of our fresh food shopping there it is way cheaper than Canada. Dairy is about half price and beer is over half price. Just so our American friends know we pay about $48 for 24 beer. I just bought 24 MGD's for $18.
$48 for a case of beer? Holy cow.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
$48 for a case of beer? Holy cow.
Ya but, it's WAY better! :lizard:

And liver transpants in Canada are free!

2012 Silverado 2500HD CC Z71 Duramax/Allison

Curt Q20 Hitch with Roller

Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs

:Canada:

Gibby3275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutrell01 View Post
In addition, should have animal vaccination records, receipts for "expensive" items(camera, computers, jewelry, watches, etc). US or Canadian customs very seldom check, but they can and anything which might be subject to tax etc. you might have to prove where and when you purchased the item. Both will sometimes randomly pull some one out of line and check inside vehicle and RV.
If you take your "expensive" items to Canada Customs before crossing into USA, they will give you a "Green Card" which is good for as long as you own that item. I have a few for some things like a camera. One time, I took my boat with trailer into the USA. Before crossing into the USA I asked Canada Customs for the Green Card, and was told "you don't need one for that". When I came back into Canada, guess what they asked for? Yup, do you have proof of where you purchased that boat. Boy was I pissed. They let me through, but I was wiser for the experience.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnka trk View Post
Here's a link that will answer your question: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-personal-use
This is a great website. Thanks! We'll probably do our food shopping in the US, but this site has good information just in case I want to pack a picnic lunch for our travel day.

KathyDiane is offline   Reply With Quote