Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-09-2020, 04:58 PM   #1

Travelling with Cats

Hello all,

First let me say I tried doing a search on the forum and I got a ton of hits on cats but nothing on travelling with cats.

My question to all that travel with cats (we have 3) how do you secure them while you are rolling down the road. In our prior coach I had them secured in crates that were secured to the underside of the dinette. I'm looking for possible ways of securing them in a Super C.

Thanks for any input.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 10:22 PM   #2

Can you do that again? I can see where I would have an issue with three crates in my 24’ Melbourne but not in a 35-36’ super C.

Thanks for your service.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:14 PM   #3

Unfortunately we don't have a Class C but we do travel with 3 cats. We have 2 crates on our back seat, stacked & tied down. The girls (sisters) go in one crate and the male goes in the other (he is mean!). When looking at both a Class A & Class C that is one thing we keep looking at - well, that and where to put the Litter Robot.

Is there any room in a closet that would allow you to secure the crate? What about under the table again? Or is it a booth?

We have talked to people who allow their cats to roam but definitely not keen on doing that.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 08:31 PM   #4

Our neighbor travels in their smaller motor home with their cat. They put her in a harness when moving to prevent possible interference with driving and to keep safe in an accident. She roams at will the rest of the time. Not an outside cat, will not willingly venture outside.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 08:46 PM   #5

I went out to the rig today and started looking around. I believe I have developed a plan.

Since this dinette is a booth placing the crates under the dinette is a non-starter.

I am going to use the over cab bunk area. I took some measurements and I plan to take the mattress pad off that area, bag it and put it in a safe place for storage. I will then build a frame that will elevate a platform about 2 inches above the cab platform. This frame will get secured to the over cab framing so it is semi-permanent. I will then get some drawer glides and build three crate platforms and secure them to the elevated platform. I will then secure the crates to there own sliding platform which will allow the crates to be pulled towards the rear for cat loading, unloading and crate cleaning. They will be locked forward for travelling.

I plan to build it so the entire setup can be removed should our grandson want to take a trip with us and use his "bunkle" bed at night.

Unless a better solution presents itself I will probably start building the setup in about 2 weeks.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:03 AM   #6

What about using the soft crates, I have one for a small dog, when not in use it folds up like a duffle bag

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrotor View Post
What about using the soft crates, I have one for a small dog, when not in use it folds up like a duffle bag
Ours aren't soft crates but they fold relatively flat when not in use. The issue is how to secure the crates while travelling so they don't slide and bounce around.

The pics below show how we secured the crates in the prior Class A. We now have three crates that are the same size and composition. That big beige crate was a PITA getting in and out the door.

Click image for larger version

Name:	crate 1.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	56367

Click image for larger version

Name:	crate 3.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	56368