Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-03-2022, 06:15 AM   #1

Tropical storm/hurricane prep

There's a tropical storm heading through Florida. I meant to put some anchors in last year luckily we didn't have any serious storms. I want to have them installed in case something comes through. I ordered some 30-in Earth anchors. Will be too late for this tropical storm by the time they arrive. Winds are expected at 40 mph. Hoping it doesn't hit us right on.
My question is where will I attach my cables or straps on the trailer..? My plan is to wrap the cables or straps around the frame then attach to anchors. Pictures attached..I'll do 2 front corners and 2 back corners. Will straps slide to much on event of storm? My other idea would be to bolt or screw some kind of rings into the frame of trailer and attach there. I really don't want to do that though.
Or I've even heard people say around the axle.. I've seen straps that actually wrap around the top of trailer. I don't like these ideas might bend the axle or dent the body of the trailer or even rip the membrane on roof.
I'm sure you guys know better than me so your input is much appreciated.

I will fill my tanks with fresh water for more wieght and stability. I've read to cover vents and ac. How would one go about covering vents and ac . I know they sell AC covers. Are the vents nessacary to cover?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20220603_082121028_MP.jpg   IMG_20220603_082029280_HDR.jpg  
Jayco2015JayFLIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 08:37 AM   #2

Couple weeks ago we got caught up in a wind storm in the Mojave Desert along hwy 14.. Car got sandblasted pretty bad, insurance company is stepping up for a new paint job and windows. We faired well considering we passed a couple Semis on their side and half dozen travel trailers as well. Many many semis and folks pulling trailers were smart enough to pull off the highway and park in the direction of the wind. The gusts were hitting pretty hard and pushing us all over the highway. My wife and i were wondering how many of those folks that pulled off the road actually survived those gusts. I hope the OP survives this storm and wish them luck..
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 10:49 AM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco2015JayFLIGHT View Post
There's a tropical storm heading through Florida. I meant to put some anchors in last year luckily we didn't have any serious storms. I want to have them installed in case something comes through. I ordered some 30-in Earth anchors. Will be too late for this tropical storm by the time they arrive. Winds are expected at 40 mph. Hoping it doesn't hit us right on.
My question is where will I attach my cables or straps on the trailer..? My plan is to wrap the cables or straps around the frame then attach to anchors. Pictures attached..I'll do 2 front corners and 2 back corners. Will straps slide to much on event of storm? My other idea would be to bolt or screw some kind of rings into the frame of trailer and attach there. I really don't want to do that though.
Or I've even heard people say around the axle.. I've seen straps that actually wrap around the top of trailer. I don't like these ideas might bend the axle or dent the body of the trailer or even rip the membrane on roof.
I'm sure you guys know better than me so your input is much appreciated.

I will fill my tanks with fresh water for more wieght and stability. I've read to cover vents and ac. How would one go about covering vents and ac . I know they sell AC covers. Are the vents nessacary to cover?
Definitely not over the roof, I can tell you how manufactured homes are tied down. They run a flat strap around the frame and run one end through a buckle and then down to the anchor head at a 45degree angle from the frame outward
to the anchor head. A slotted bolt is run through one side of the head, the strap runs through the slot on the bolt and then the bolt is tapped through the other hole on the head and the nut is just started. Using a socket and an end wrench tighten up on the bolt and wind the strap until it's taut, then tighten up on the nut until the bolt is drawn completely against the side of the anchor head. The key to a good anchor is to screw it into the ground, don't just dig a hole and bury it. Just use a piece of 2x4 about 2' long, as leverage on the head of the anchor to screw it into the ground. Roots here are not your friend. Bet you can youtube up a video on the operation.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 07:49 AM   #4

Yea I think I'm buying that kit.

But the front of trailer it won't work bc frame is rounded
and strap clip won't hook on to get it started or stay secure..I also noticed the front frame is actually hollow(the 2 beams that form tongue) Is screwing or bolting the strapping to the frame a bad idea?

In the back the straps would work and hook just fine

My only other idea would be to use tie down cable rather than strap and just wrap it around frame and secure around the lock bolt at anchor instead of sticking strap through it. Or even bolting some eye/rings to the frame to attatch cables rather than wrapping around.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20220619-093658.jpg   IMG_20220619_101211421_HDR.jpg   IMG_20220619_101159478.jpg  
Old 06-19-2022, 09:01 AM   #5
Lost in the Woods

[QUOTE=Jayco2015JayFLIGHT;1055597]Yea I think I'm buying that kit.

But the front of trailer it won't work bc frame is rounded
and strap clip won't hook on to get it started or stay secure..I also noticed the front frame is actually hollow(the 2 beams that form tongue) Is screwing or bolting the strapping to the frame a bad idea?

In the back the straps would work and hook just fine

My only other idea would be to use tie down cable rather than strap and just wrap it around frame and secure around the lock bolt at anchor instead of sticking strap through it. Or even bolting some eye/rings to the frame to attatch cables rather than wrapping around.[/QUOTe

There is a two slot buckle for anchor strap which you can use in lieu of hooking one end on the I beam. Just thread the one end of the strap through both slots with about a 6" tail, run the strap over the frame, back through one slot , pull it tight and run it down to the anchor. The cable idea sounds good as well. Never anchored a tie down to a frame by bolting however don't know why it wouldn't work, I'd use a hardened bolt even though the frame is mild steel.
Old 06-19-2022, 09:56 AM   #6

There is a two slot buckle for anchor strap which you can use in lieu of hooking one end on the I beam. Just thread the one end of the strap through both slots with about a 6" tail, run the strap over the frame, back through one slot , pull it tight and run it down to the anchor. The cable idea sounds good as well. Never anchored a tie down to a frame by bolting however don't know why it wouldn't work, I'd use a hardened bolt even though the frame is mild steel.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback
Old 06-19-2022, 10:02 AM   #7

I just looked up the 2 slot buckle is this it? Trying to understand how this works to hold strap tight..
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20220619-120033.jpg  
Old 06-19-2022, 11:32 AM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco2015JayFLIGHT View Post
I just looked up the 2 slot buckle is this it? Trying to understand how this works to hold strap tight..
That's it. Back before the crimper, we'd feed one end of the galv. strap up through one slot over the middle and down through the other and out about 6" feed the other end over the frame between the floor or the bottom board and the top of the i beam, with the buckle and the 6" tail pointing up feed the loose end through the top slot so the tail is on the inside, pull it tight. Feed the loose end through the slotted bolt in the head of the anchor, (leave some slack so you can get at least 3-4 good wraps as you turn the slotted bolt). Tighten up on it until the strap is taut, then tighten up on the nut which will draw the bolt into the square hole on the anchor head and you're done. I imagine you can find a youtube video on it. Not sure if I hadn't done it a thousand times I could follow what I just said.
Old 06-19-2022, 12:44 PM   #9
Site Team

I can see how this arrangement will help you find the frame. The rest of the rig will be somewhere else in a real hurricane.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 07:56 AM   #10
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I can see how this arrangement will help you find the frame. The rest of the rig will be somewhere else in a real hurricane.
The alternative being doing nothing, in which case even in tropical storm winds you’ll likely find your rig on it’s side. In a “real hurricane” all that would be left of a stick built house is the slab. Securing the bottom plates to the slab nevertheless is a good idea.
Old 08-11-2022, 08:05 AM   #11

Installed my anchors. 1 for each corner. 23foot trailer. Put a concrete collar at top 12 by 12 inch. Will use anchor straps (came with anchors in kit) for the back and get vinyl coated cables for front since the straps won't lock correctly to rounded front frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20220811-100112.jpg   Screenshot_20220811-100137.jpg  
Old 08-16-2022, 04:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
The alternative being doing nothing, in which case even in tropical storm winds you’ll likely find your rig on it’s side. In a “real hurricane” all that would be left of a stick built house is the slab. Securing the bottom plates to the slab nevertheless is a good idea.
That's why when my DW & I lived in South Florida the SOP was hookup & go before it got bad.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:30 PM   #13

What Poohbear said X2.
Jacjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 08:20 PM   #14

I have considered straps or tie downs as well, but I never have installed any. One thought I would have, especially in FL, is that I wouldn't want straps that I couldn't quickly remove and be on my way. Perhaps turnbuckles would work and be quicker to install and remove. ~CA
Old 08-17-2022, 06:10 AM   #15

RV's are not built anywhere nearly as strong as your average house. Even if you tie down the frame, all you may find after the storm is likely to be the frame. Even if you are successful in tying your RV down, flying debris can still do significant damage.

I would think your best bet would be to plan a route in advance to a location that would be out of the storm track. When a storm is headed your way hook up and tow or drive your RV to a safer location. It also gives you a safer place to ride out the storm.
Old 08-17-2022, 08:50 AM   #16

You can tie it down but winds will wreak havoc on the rest of the RV. All straps do is keep it from moving around or tipping over, nothing else. If that's all you're looking to do, then you're good. But if you're looking to save your RV, move it. The body is still subject to the winds, debris, etc.

I'm speaking from experience. Trust me...you wanna move it.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 09:15 AM   #17
Lost in the Woods

Having gone through a number of evacuations in Florida I can promise you it's not the leaving that bothers people, it's that they know from experience once you leave it's the getting back that's often the problem. If you haven't been parked on an interstate for days waiting for authorities to allow you back into town, you've never evacuated. After one of those experiences it would take a sustained cat 5 to get many folks to leave.
Old 08-17-2022, 05:55 PM   #18

Back during Andrew in Miami advice given to me...it was a cat 5...

Cat 3 hunker down, anything above grab what you need and get the hell out!!

Oh, if you don't leave at least a week before, forget getting out. Nothing
worse being stuck on an interstate in a hurricane.

PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 06:01 PM   #19

Does anyone have any thoughts on how much side wind (mph) it takes to blow over an RV? I know there are many different design RVs, but on average I am thinking 70~75+ would be enough side wind, certainly not a lot more if any, but just my thoughts. ~CA
Old 08-17-2022, 06:29 PM   #20
Site Team

Here's an article that may explain it.

https://gudgear.com/how-much-wind-can-an-rv-withstand/

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote