Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-04-2014, 02:11 PM   #1

Trying to decide

Looking at 2 different jayco models.

At first my wife and I liked the Jay Flight swift 184bh due to its light weight small foot print

Now I was looking at the hybrid 19xud, which is only 600lbs heavier, the same length but seems to have more living space and cargo capacity.

Our TV will handle either one easily, now its just trying to decide between the hybrid or regular body

Any thoughts?
dnmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:34 PM   #2

Our first was a Hybrid
We Loved it--however second unit did not even consider another hybrid
Pros:
More living space with the bunks
Cost
Sleeps more per foot

Cons: and why we decided to move up
Storage for the bedding--we can now keep the bedding on the bed
Set up time--not only the folding out the tent ends also making the beds
Fabric threading starting to decay--it was a 06 model)

They say "your first camper is an investment in your RV education"
How true it is.

GL

Tom
2015 Eagle 324BHTS
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 DirtyMax
Redhorse 823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:33 PM   #3

We moved from a popup to a hybrid. Love the hardsides with still sleeping under canvas. Yes there is some additional setup time and if you have to put away wet, then you need to open back up to dry out the tent ends. However I like the extra space (especially when its raining) and not having to drop the dinette table create a bed.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:40 PM   #4

I am only truly concerned about leaking. It seems that with the slide and the tent ends, you might be more prone to leaking
dnmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:46 PM   #5

Never heard that "first camper is....education" before but so far only having owned one-

it is so true.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:03 PM   #6

My first was an 18' TT, because most of my camping was done during the fall hunting seasons. It can get pretty cold and windy, and the tent ends just don't keep out the cold like a hard sider. You might want to consider your "camping season" to help make your decision. Whichever you choose, I'm sure your going to enjoy it! Good luck with your decision!
Old 07-04-2014, 08:21 PM   #7

When we decided to upgrade from our 1007 pup we were initially looking at a 23B hybrid. Storage was a concern as was outside noise. My wife hated the lack of storage of the popup and how loud it could be inside, particularly early in the AM when we were trying to sleep but early risers were up making breakfast and such. We found a TT that we liked and ultimately went with it to get away from those two cons(for us). I liked the hybrid in that the beds stick out from the end thus opening up the interior space. Go sit in both and try to imagine performing different functions, pretend cook, sit on the toilet, stand in the shower, everything you can think of to get a better idea of which suits you better.
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnmccoy View Post
I am only truly concerned about leaking. It seems that with the slide and the tent ends, you might be more prone to leaking
LEAKING, my 2010 Hybrid is "tighter than bark on a tree "and I think for the most part they all are so set your mind at ease. Your roof will leak before the ends. AC gasket plus around 75' of caulk on the roof will have you checking around twice a year but that's normal, we all do that.
You'll find some great spots to park for those 24' and under and your size will be easy to back in. When you need to pull into a parking lot for food supplies it's also easy and gas stations are a piece of cake.
Summers calling you so hurry up and tell us what a great time you had just like the rest of us.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:05 PM   #9

I'm 6'1" tall. I had to tilt my head in the 184bh. I chose the x17a hybrid instead. I can stand fully. More stove space. Bigger fridge. Those also were considerations.
jsundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:19 AM   #10

Have had both. Liked the hybrid and didn't feel the set up time was too bad. No leaks, but a bit of a pain to put away when wet. Also, it is not a secure vehicle. Never felt comfortable leaving the dog in there alone. Anybody could easily get in if they wanted (including the local black bear).
jeeper182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:22 AM   #11

Hybrids are not for everyone. If you came from tents and pop-ups you will likely enjoy a hybrid. However if you hate hearing the campground noise and you are concerned about packing wet you may want to reconsider. Safety is only a concern in some places. And if bear are a problem, you can close up the ends and sleep on the couch or table. Most campgrounds are safe. We've never had a problem in 30 years of tents, pop-ups, and hybrids.

We had our first hybrid, an '03 Jayco Kiwi 17a for 10 years. We now have an X20E, our second hybrid. So 12 years of hybrids. We love hybrids. No leaks in either trailer.

* Stories of leaking beds are actually rare. Yes, it happens. But its the exception not the rule. As Tunce said, in general the roof will leak long before the beds.

* Time to setup the beds is really only minutes. Our old Kiwi had the old style bars that held up the bed. A bit of a pain but not terrible. New hybrids have cables. REALLY nice. It takes less than 1 minute to drop each bed. And couple of minutes to pop in the Shepherd's poles. And you can make bedding as hard or easy as you choose. We use a single sleeping bag on top the mattress with a couple comforters pillows thrown on top. I takes less than 5 minutes. Some folks like to get fancy and tuck everything in like at home. To each his own. Not including awning lights and the whirly gigs we put up on the site, we can setup and take down in less than 30 minutes.

* Packing wet is not a big deal. This isn't like the old pop-ups that had real canvas bunk ends and sides. Its vinyl covered canvas. Take a towel and dry them off. If its pouring out you open them at the first opportunity and dry them. They dry fast because the water can't soak into the vinyl.

The bottom line is, don't take my word for anything. Don't buy any trailer because anyone here says you should. Research it, sit in both and imagine yourself camping in them, weigh out the pros and cons of each, then make a decision, one that you can live with. After all you don't have to please me, just yourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhorse 823 View Post

They say "your first camper is an investment in your RV education"
How true it is.

GL
I've heard this but have never bought into this notion. This often comes from folks who made an impulse buy and jumped in with both feet. Even if you do your research, every RV except the one you build yourself is a compromise.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:10 PM   #12

We made the plunge and picked up the 19XUD...pick it up saturday!
Old 07-08-2014, 05:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsundin View Post
I'm 6'1" tall. I had to tilt my head in the 184bh. I chose the x17a hybrid instead. I can stand fully. More stove space. Bigger fridge. Those also were considerations.
Gotta agree there....I'm the tall guy in our family at 5'8"....the Jayflight Swift Series (145, 154, 184, 195) etc...are fine for us with 6'-1" interior clearance.
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote