Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-02-2022, 07:50 AM   #1
JST

Trying to Help a JAYCO Owner1

This is a general question, looking for some answers??

I am NOT a JAYCO owner, (was a long time ago, before THOR)

Anyway, A friend of mine just lost her husband and had just purchased a new 2021 28.5 RTS 5th wheel. Only 3 or 4 trips on it!

While in the process of winterizing the unit, upon pulling the Water Tank drain plug, discovered all kinds of garbage and calcium build up in the tank. And looking at the ANODE ROD, it was totally destroyed. Only a little bit of material left on the Wire!

This was sold to her as a New trailer! More investigation indicates the incorrect batteries in the unit, (mis-matched) and NOT Deep Cycle either! One battery was a Duracell and the other an Interstate.

Something tells me she and her late husband was sold a piece of junk!

The Water Heater ANODE was the KEY! That Anode should last at least a year or more!

I have to go an finish winterizing today!

Would like some ones opinion on this UNIT!

She is wanting to sell it, but will need to have it inspected by a qualified RV Inspector!

Appreciate all comments!
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 08:00 AM   #2

What is the date of Manuf which is printed on the Yellow Sticker? Might have been built in late 2020 and sat on the dealer's lot.

As to the Anode, if the water is extremely hard it could destruct rather fast. They say one to three is not unusual. The batteries are installed by the dealer so they might have thrown in whatever was available. Also they might have only provided one and her husb may have bought the 2nd one.
Old 01-02-2022, 08:15 AM   #3
JST

The unit was probably built in 2020 and sat at the dealer. I have checked the tire dates, listed as DOT 3320, (33rd week in 2020) So they are OK.

My friend has only used the unit 4 times on very short trips and hardly ever used the Hot water. (Did Not use the shower)

I'm thinking this dealer cannibalized parts (ie. Anode Rod) and replaced it with an Anode from another unit! I've been around long enough to know how long ANODE Rods last. Just changed mine and it was down to about 75 percent used after nearly 2 years.

She will definitely need an Independent RV Inspector to look over the unit before she tries to sell it!
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 08:41 AM   #4
Site Team

What did the selling dealer say when she contacted them for information? The usual first step in any issue with a unit is to contact the selling dealer for information and/or assistance in repairing problems that arise during the warranty period.

As far as the Anode rod is concerned, I wouldn't give even a second thought to having one fail in short order. Yes, they normally last years. But as Grumpy said, one load of very hard spring water or water loaded with sediment can damage one in short order. Since you are able to help her with the issue, I would simply replace the rod, finish the winterizing, and have her sell it if that is her wishes.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 11:06 AM   #5

Trying to Help a JAYCO Owner1

It’s great that you are helping your friend out.

The issues also seem somewhat normal to me. As stated, hard water can make a mess out of hot water tanks quickly.
Batteries are generally a dealer item, not a manufacturer item. The dealer also would normally only install one battery, I’m wondering if the husband added the second battery without her knowing about it. Either way, Dealers also generally don’t ever install true deep cycles, so not having true deep cycles is also not a red flag.

If she sells it, the new owners would upgrade the batteries if they feel the need to. I consider that a normal maintenance item in an RV. Kinda like an oil change when buying a used car. The first thing I do is change the oil no matter how clean it looks. I want to start fresh and know what I got. If the new owners are just going to keep it connected to shore power, then your concern about the batteries won’t be big deal to them.
Old 01-02-2022, 12:25 PM   #6

Hi JST and welcome to the JaycoOwnersForums.

You mentioned twice that "She will definitely need an Independent RV Inspector to look over the unit before she tries to sell it!" and I am not sure that would be my advice. While it could uncover other issues, if I was in the market to purchase a newer RV I would still want my own inspection from an inspector of my choosing and I would be very hesitant to trust a seller's inspector.

Don't get me wrong, she may be the very best person in the world and that isn't my point really or even a thought otherwise. In any case, you sound like a very good person to help her as you have especially in her time of need. Thanks for that. ~CA
Old 01-02-2022, 12:56 PM   #7

Remember the sign in your mechanics shop? If you want to help, it will cost extra. A inspection will just cost your friend extra. Just like a house, let the buyer worry about the inspection. Replace the anode, and be up front with potential buyers. You won't recoupe any money spent on it now. A clean rig looks better than one that looks rode hard and put away wet. Maybe stage the unit, set a place at the table. Seems to work on hgtv.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 04:03 PM   #8

my father in law went through a water heater in his brand new motor home in less than 3 months. He was on the road so had to have it repaired 'on the go' rather than take it back to his dealer.. The repair shop told him the water heater was not new when the coach was sold and more than likely the selling dealer traded his new water heater for a repair of another warranted coach. Apparently dealers are playing this game simply because they can't get replacement parts and they will do anything to avoid dealing with another Pi$$ed off customer.. Would be nice if the OP would mention the dealer where they purchased from..
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 04:44 PM   #9

On the inspection issue, I agree with some other comments, inspections, especially with a home, are ordered by the buyer, not the seller. In addition, if ANY inspection revealed a problem with a home the sellers are required to inform the buyer of anything discovered. I’m not aware that it’s required for an RV, but the seller may be morally inspired to reveal all that was discovered.

Let the buyer inspect it.