Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2017, 09:37 AM   #1

TT Pass Thru Compartment- Put in Carpet?

Just looking for ideas on how to protect the forward pass thru compartment on my new TT. I was thinking of putting in carpet or that shelf liner that stops things from sliding. And then I thought of carpet pad?

If anyone has any ideas??
BILLYBOBTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:47 AM   #2

I used 2 old yoga mats. Kinda feels like the thin shelf linning but def a bit thicker for added protection

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:48 AM   #3

We insulated and carpeted our entire front compartment this past spring (up the front cap and sides of the box. We are very happy with the results. We used adhesive squares from HD and 3M 90 Super Adhesive. We put adhesive duct insulation under it and caulked and foamed every nook and cranny. We finished it off with 2" fluted aluminum carpet trim and stainless screws. We used rubber tool box drawer pads for the base/floor of the compartment. All in all, it adds insulation, sound deadening, and it looks super.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:50 AM   #4

If it were me I'd do something rubberized to prevent stuff sliding around too much. Not positive, but I think you can get the 12x12 tiles with a rubberized surface and simply stick those down. We just traded an Eagle that had indoor/outdoor carpet in the basement and I wasn't a fan as it was hard to keep clean, and much more difficult to dry out if for some reason it got wet.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:06 AM   #5

The durable indoor/outdoor carpet that we used is an excellent movement deterrent, and with rubber on the floor our stuff is extremely stable.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:10 AM   #6

I have found that using the anti-fatigue mats from Harbor Freight provide a number of great solutions. I used them to line my storage compartments and keep two spare to lay on the ground when I need to get under the TT for TV. They are inexpensive and the larger pieces reduce the labor time. They cut easily. https://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...=standing+mats
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:40 AM   #7

We found a roll of padded, rubberize material (3/8"? thick) on clearance at W*mart. I don't recall what the original department or purpose was. We put part of it in the under-bed storage and with the rest we line the rear, leather seats of the truck for a doggie bed. It's not very 'sticky', but we haven't had a problem with stuff under the bed moving around (it cleans up well, too, if dog paws get it dirty).
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:12 AM   #8

If you use carpeting, do not permanently install it so you can remove it for cleaning (and replacement when it gets ratty enough, which it will before long). Carpet catches and holds dirt which will build up over time and actually weight quite a bit.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:36 PM   #9

Okay- thanks for the suggestions. I like the idea of not installing permanent in case it gets wet or dirty. May go with a carpet pad which I think will keep stuff from shifting down the road. I have always been a fan of commercial carpet but I believe it will be too slippery.

That Harbor Freight rolled product looks good too.

As far as insulated I can see the purpose for noise, but for cold, I will pull stakes and head more southerly.

Thank you for the suggestions.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:15 PM   #10

2x on non permanent install. I cut a piece of an old carpet that we had removed from our dining room in our house. No pad just the carpet and I cut it just a little less than the actual measurement to make it easier to install and remove. Soon after the install I forgot and left one of the doors open when I was working on the TT at home. It rained and the next am the carpet in the storage area was soaked to the middle. Pulled it out and thru it over a woodpile to dry and then toweled off the inside of the area. In fact the carpet had adsorbed 99% of the water so wasn't really anything to dry inside. Its also handy to remove after a trip to the beach so you can get all the sand out.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:35 PM   #11

Okay- reading your post I am rethinking the rolled Harbor Freight pad or even a good quality imitation grass. I think I will need something that absorbs. Yeah- carpet is looking better.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:49 PM   #12

You know I get what folks say about cleaning carpet, but I think it depends on your usage and your routines with set up and take down. We have chocks, stabilizers, patio stuff, and tools in our compartments. We clean everything before we put things back in, even wipe or hose off chocks. We do not get a lot of debris in our storage spaces. We also hit the carpet with a vacuum when we return from a trip. It's a lot like caring for carpet in a car interior or trunk without the wear and tear of dirty feet and coffee spills. We see no need to pull out our compartment carpet. If you do not care to have built in cleaning routines in your set up and take down, then carpet may get messed up. Ours will be like new for the duration of our ownership - same as our cars and TV. It's not for everyone.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:02 AM   #13

Old carpet runner from last rv, about a foot short but works well.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:56 PM   #14

I wouldn't do anything.

The front pass through will have plenty of stuff, equipment, chairs... etc that nothing will move around. The chocks, leveling blocks, and all your hoses will track in significant amounts of dirt and moisture.

The extra weight and hassle just isn't necessary in my opinion.

I boxed mine off, from the factory the under-bed area was fully accessible from the passthouthh. I built a plywood bulkhead to separate and also for bed platform support. The insulation idea is good if you're in cold weather.

Craig Bailey
New Hampshire
Jayflight 32 BHDS
Chevy 2500HD CC
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:40 PM   #15

I went with indoor/outdoor carpet from Lowes. I am in a resort town and not a lot of choices. I got a three foot wide carpet remanent for $9. I think it will work out fine. Insulating the rear wall and ceiling of the pass thru by gluing some stuff to the walls would be an easy task and is tempting as it is not yet loaded...

Thank you for your suggestions.

Bill
Old 08-17-2017, 10:38 PM   #16

We put most of our "dirty stuff" in plastic bins and have done this on several Rv's. Leaving the hard surface flooring allows the bins to slide in and out easier and any dirt or moisture is easy wiped up. Chairs etc are just loose, but packed so as not to slide around. We have never had an issue with "stuff" sliding around and we travel extensively in the mountains of the west.

Good Luck..

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:04 AM   #17

We just delivery of our new '18 33RBTS and I installed "Golds Gym" flooring puzzle mat. One package contained 6 - 24" x24" mats that interlock on the edges and I think it took 5 of the 6 to cover the entire area. They cut easily and are working great. We got them at Walmart in the exercise area and the package of 6 was only $15!

- Kathleen, Roger & Gracie the wonder dog!
- 2018 Jay Flight 33RBTS
- North Carolina
KRV1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:09 PM   #18

I agree, most of my stuff is in bins easy in easy out
mikem56 is offline   Reply With Quote