Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-15-2018, 07:07 PM   #21

Google water damage restoration services/companies. They're everywhere. Bursting/leaking pipes happen---a lot. It's big business.

Curious, has anyone had their travel trailer repaired (or totaled) after a bad water leak? After the water gets absorbed by the wooden sub-floor, I would think the wood would swell, pushing everything attached to it out of alignment. It's my understanding travel trailers are typically totaled once high water rises above the sub-floor in a naturally occurring flood scenario.

CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:27 AM   #22

Always turn off everything when leaving the trailer for even an hour.

kneeslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:14 AM   #23

Remember, Murphy is always there waiting for an opportunity.
Moderator on Hi-Lo Trailer Forum
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:33 AM   #24

Water always wins.
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:44 PM   #25

We have always turned off the water when leaving home for more than a day. Do the same now with the RV. If the temps will be above freezing I also turn off the propane at the tanks.

When hooked up to city water I turn off the water at the pedastal. When on internal I turn off the water pump. Also turn off the water heater.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:11 PM   #26

Yes, if flood water rises above the floor then it would be totalled. But, that is not the same thing as a couple of hours of water running across the floor. A flood lasts for a while, soaking everything. Water leak inside runs across the floor to a low point and then out at a floor penetration. Damage depends on how much water is in there and how long it was left that way. A few hours not that big a deal. Days, then damage is certain somewhere. Totalled? Maybe not depending on where the water was at. Also depends on what part of the country and time of year. Desert southwest during summer, things will dry out quickly. Areas with high humidity during summer, you are in for some mold problems as well as the water damage since it will remain wet for weeks. If during winter then freezing will also cause further damage.

So, every situation will be different.

FWIW, ours had a small flood the other week. Water was running across the floor for about an hour. Within another hour it was all cleaned up and dry. Outside temp was 101F, humidity was around 15%. No damage anywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNow View Post
Google water damage restoration services/companies. They're everywhere. Bursting/leaking pipes happen---a lot. It's big business.

Curious, has anyone had their travel trailer repaired (or totaled) after a bad water leak? After the water gets absorbed by the wooden sub-floor, I would think the wood would swell, pushing everything attached to it out of alignment. It's my understanding travel trailers are typically totaled once high water rises above the sub-floor in a naturally occurring flood scenario.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:01 PM   #27

Never leave without turning water off. You never know when pressure may surge.
Tcdoughboy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 02:07 PM   #28

I always turn off the water at the campsite when I'm away. At home if I am gone for a week or so I will turn off the water to the clothes washer and under the sinks.
zapme01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 02:15 PM   #29
Site Team

I have a check list for anytime we are away from home overnight or longer. It includes:

Turning off the water
Turning off the power to the HWT
Backup and shut down the computer & network
Lower (winter) or raise (summer) the furnace thermostat
Turn off the refrigerator ice maker (For added safety. The water's already turned off)
Empty the cat's litter box
Check all windows and doors
If there are dirty dishes, wash/empty the dishwasher
Lock any vehicles that will be in the garage while we're gone
Have mail held if away longer than three days (If available, you can do this online at usps.com then click on Quick Tools)

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT -- 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!
FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 02:36 PM   #30

Turn Off House Water and More

Yes Turn off house water whenever you leave for a day or more. Install a ball valve as they are more reliable and easier to use than a gate valve. As a Contractor over the years I have remodeled too many homes from water damage. Besides the water I personally turn off the following:
Water Supply - 1 Day or more
Hot Water Tank - Whenever I turn off the water supply (mark the breaker with tape or paint with nail polish)
Refrigerator Automatic Ice Maker - When ever I turn off water supply. Lift the lever or newer units go to options and turn off.

Why each action:
Water Supply for burst pipes, supply lines (especially toilets), toilet overflows.
H2O Tank - What are you heating and if water leaks out, it will burn up the element and who knows what can happen.
Auto Ice Maker, with H2O off ice shrinks and the ice maker will try to open the valve to get more water to make ice. Why have the ice maker run to demand water when it cannot get any. It will burn out the motor and ruin the valve.

All these actions take me less than 10 minutes and potentially can save tens of thousands of dollars and months of aggravation.

Parhole1 is offline   Reply With Quote