Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-22-2020, 07:26 PM   #1

"TV Only Plug" for DC/AC adapter?

Warning, I'm new to the Jayco world. We have an SLX-145 Baja. We have two 6v Golf Cart batteries hooked up in series for when we're not on shore power.

What we just figured out is that when not plugged into shore power, we can't use any of the AC plugs to power the Weboost, charge laptops and phones, etc. Apparently everyone else knew this ahead of time except for us.

We are leaving on a cross country trip in one week. I'd like to avoid hardwiring a bunch of stuff and things like that due to technical (lack of) know-how and time.

There is a Plug behind where the TV was supposed to be that says "For TV Only" that looks like a DC plug or cigar lighter. Could an easy solution be simply buying a DC/AC adapter from Walmart or Amazon and plug into that? Then power the Weboost Cell booster, occasional laptop of phone charge from that thing? I've attached a picture of one we found. Is there an adapter that lots of Jayco owners use? Wattage or Amps?

For the record, I have not seen another DC outlet anywhere on the trailer so that is the only one I can find.

Thanks for any guidance!

Beagle
Attached Thumbnails
inverter.jpg  
Beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 08:53 PM   #2

This should work fine but make sure that you find out what that 12V accessory outlet is rated for so that you don't overload it. I almost went with a WeBoost for our camper but ended up with a SureCall Fusion2Go 3.0 RV partly because they provide both a AC and 12V Accessory plug to power the booster so no wiring needed to use it on the 12V system alone.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 08:57 PM   #3

I think the reason is simply they did not put heavy enough wire to take more than a few amps draw. A 12 volt DC to AC converter will just be to much for the wire or the fuse.

If you want to run something that need big amps you should run a heavy wire direct from the battery (via a fuse) to a dedicated 12 volt socket that is designed to carry a big load.
You would be better off to locate the inverter as near to the battery as possible and make sure the cable and fuse is big enough to carry the load.

Do some research on how much in amps your batteries can provide and how much you plan to use.

You can get them with battery clamps and heavy wire which might be the better answer.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 08:59 PM   #4

Short answer is yes, the unit pictured, plugged into the "For TV Only" socket will do what you want it to. It is a 300 watt modified sine wave inverter. 300 watts isn't much but should be enough for what you described. I would probably buy the pure sine wave version for only a few dollars more: https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-300Wat.../dp/B07KQ4Q2L5

Having two golf cart batteries is a good setup for your expected use. You just need to figure put how to recharge them. Additionally, you shouldn't discharge them to less than 50% capacity or they could be damaged, but that's an entirely different lengthy discussion.
2013 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3
Husky Centerline TS

ChiToones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 09:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiToones View Post
Short answer is yes, the unit pictured, plugged into the "For TV Only" socket will do what you want it to. It is a 300 watt modified sine wave inverter. 300 watts isn't much but should be enough for what you described. I would probably buy the pure sine wave version for only a few dollars more: https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-300Wat.../dp/B07KQ4Q2L5

Having two golf cart batteries is a good setup for your expected use. You just need to figure put how to recharge them. Additionally, you shouldn't discharge them to less than 50% capacity or they could be damaged, but that's an entirely different lengthy discussion.
Ok thanks, ChiToones. Yeah I think the Weboost maybe pulls 5v / 4.5 amps. Don't remember where I got that number. Surely it must use less than a Television? We'd also charge a Macbook from time time (not at the same time). Still trying to find out what that would pull. Just don't want to overload but also don't want to re-wire the whole camper. Trying to keep it simple (I think).

We are charging the 2 6v bats with a 200w Renogy Solar suitcase set-up (clamps directly to batteries), it has a charge controller mounted on the panels..... and occasional Predator 2000w generator when needed.

At most, we'd be boondocking maybe 2-4 days at a time. Then back to shore power or under a permanent roof.

Thanks for the link to the sine wave. Replaced our old choice with that one in our Amazon cart.
Beagle is offline   Reply With Quote