Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-13-2016, 08:34 AM   #1
Lost in the Woods

Two questions regarding solar

I purchased a Colman 6 watt battery trickle charger. It came with three ways to connect. Cigarette lighter, alligator clips, or remove those tails and use the plug direct. Not sure what that fitting is called.

My TT is "solar ready" so my first question is, when I'm storing the trailer and I plug this panel in the solar ready fitting on the chasis, is it that simple? Am I charging? My second question is......I installed a battery on/off switch. I was noticing a big draw draining the battery when storing. Not knowing how the solar ready system is wired, when I switch to off am I still charging when I'm plugged into the solar ready fitting or would I have to go direct to the battery posts using the clips?
Gman1372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 09:57 AM   #2

The first thing you need to do is figure out where that current drain is coming from. There will be some parasitic draw, unless the battery disconnect is open, but it should be in the < 0.5amp range.
I cannot comment on the built in solar as I do not have that on my trailer. However, connecting the clips directly to the battery should work fine.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 11:16 AM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Hi DannJanice. During the PDI the battery wasn't charging. Then the dealer found the inverter failed. They replaced it on the spot. However the battery has been weak since delivery. When I hit the battery level button it reads 2 out of 4 LEDs. When plugged into shore power it reads 4 LEDs. When I plug in the solar panel it reads 2 LEDs. That's only a 6 volt trickle charger.
Gman1372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 12:53 PM   #4

If you do not already have one, I highly recommend you purchase a clamp on DC amp meter. They are not as accurate as the traditional meter, but they are good enough for trailer work. You can thank me later
Here is one that I think would work well for you. There are many others (and much higher quality), if you want to spend more.
http://www.amazon.com/Uni-T-UT210E-C...DC+Clamp+Meter

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote