Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-10-2015, 12:45 PM   #1

Tyre: Route Planning Software

Thought I'd pass along a software recommendation. For several years I have used Tyre (Trace Your Route Everywhere) on a desktop PC to plan motorcycle trips. The usual goal for bike routes is, the more crooked, the better. Not exactly what an RVer might want.

However, Tyre can be used to lay out and evaluate RV routes, too. It utilizes Google Maps for its roadway data as well as Google's routing algorithms, both of which most of us are familiar with. After an initial route is plotted on-screen, you can drag-and-drop any part of it onto different roads.

You can turn on satellite view to scope out access for a parking lot or gas station entrance. Toggling on terrain view is helpful for seeing how hilly the route might be. And Google Streetview images are very useful for previewing roadway widths, gas station awning heights and pavement conditions.

Multiple routes can be open at once in separate tabs. Each route can be saved to your hard drive by name. Final routes can also be saved into a connected TomTom or Garmin GPS for use on the road. Or, of you prefer old school non-GPS navigation, you can print a trip book of your final route.

There are several versions of Tyre, but Basic Tyre is free. It does have ads, but they are not obnoxious. If you like it, there are paid upgrades available. Help is a available via a user forum, but the software is pretty intuitive. The developer updates it regularly.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:00 PM   #2

[QUOTE=NC Roamer;299218]Thought I'd pass along a software recommendation. For several years I have used Tyre (Trace Your Route Everywhere) on a desktop PC to plan motorcycle trips. The usual goal for bike routes is, the more crooked, the better. Not exactly what an RVer might want.

Just hold the boat there Roamer, I always want to know " what's around the bend". That's how I keep my smile and always a new smell around that crooked bend in the road.
Thanks for that software tip.
Tunce the traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:15 PM   #3

Thanks for the tip!
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:05 PM   #4

Two additional tips came to mind which can help avoid the urge to talk back to your GPS.

After you get your route setup in Tyre, and before dumping the route file into a GPS, add extra waypoints along the route. This helps pin it down to your desired alignment. Tyre's routing algorithm differs from the algorithm in my TomTom. The route seen in my GPS can, and usually does, vary from what I set up in Tyre. All of my specified points will still be on it, but the connections between them can follow different roads. So if you want to follow your Tyre route without deviation, add several extra waypoints along the route while still on-screen in Tyre, and then dump it into your GPS.

Be careful while dragging your route onto a divided highway in Tyre. A divided highway has two sides, and it is easy to drop the route onto the wrong side, i.e. I-40 westbound instead of eastbound. When later navigating the route, this will cause the GPS to tell you to make a U-turn because you told it you wanted to go on the other side of the road. That is the biggest problem with a computer. It insists on doing exactly what you tell it to do.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
routing, software