Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-18-2022, 06:26 PM   #1

Underbelly Access With a Zipper

I bought a doublewide manufactured home recently and have been getting up to speed on repairing its underbelly. It's pretty much the same material as the membrane under my Jayco.

I came across this item for areas that you want easy access to... a self adhesive zipper.

Thought it might be something that would be great to use on a trailer underbelly in places that might need access every now and then. I haven't used it but looks like it would work. Might want to reinforce the edges of the zip strip with enternabond tape so it can handle movement and wind on the road.

https://www.randgsupply.com/product/...-strip-6-x-72/
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 09:32 AM   #2

Thanks for the post! Been wondering what kind of mess I'll make of the membrane when I eventually have to get up under there. Would be interested to hear if anybody has tried this.
Sleighman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 10:18 AM   #3
Site Team

Mine came with factory cut holes and panels over them. I have removed and reinstalled them so many times, it is 2nd nature.
I can get to anything I have ever needed to using the existing holes. I actually prefer the screws. The panels on mine have 1 inch wide on one side sticky tape that seals the opening when the screws are in.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 07:51 PM   #4

That zipper reminds me of the "Zip Wall" system for construction (puts a zipper on thick plastic used to keep dust etc out when doing renovations).

My old TT had a solid plastic sheet that didn't come off easy. It was spray-foamed on, bolted, strapped etc. I had to replace the dump valve wire so had to cut large sections of that plastic to get to stuff. I was going to do similar and install a zipper or something like it but opted to just spray-foam it all back into place. Used sprayfoam to seal the cuts together as well. Was ugly but didn't have access to that zipper at the time and was leaving soon on a trip.

I hope I won't have to cut into the underside of my new unit anytime soon, that's for sure.
Suprnova74 is offline   Reply With Quote