Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2012, 05:47 AM   #1

Unhitching from TV

Was wondering if anybody else has ever had this problem. This also would happen the odd time with the pop up. When we are unhitching the trailer from the truck on unlevel ground, It sometimes becomes almost impossible for the trailer to come off the ball. As we are cranking the trailer off the ball hitch the truck rises up. The only way we have been able to unhitch the trailer is to unhook the hitch and drive the truck a little so the entire hitch falls off the truck. Does this happen to anybody else? Is there an easier way to unhitch from the ball then this? I am just afraid one time the truck is not going to unhitch from the trailer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Old 08-01-2012, 06:05 AM   #2

I think everyone has experienced this at sometime. I know I have. It's one of those things that just goes with the territory.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:00 AM   #3

Keep the ball, socket and latch mechanisms lubricated and keep cranking. This happens to me all the time. I'll chock the wheels on the camper and the truck will roll forward or backward a fraction of an inch when its put in park. That is enough movement to put the ball and socket in a bind but mine pops off every time. If you run out of travel on the tongue jack I'd get concerned but otherwise don't sweat it.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:03 AM   #4

|If the TT is under pressure from th TV moving after you put it into park, you need to first relieve that stress between the 2 vehicles. Once that is done there should never be any reason for it to not come off with ease. For those cases where it just won't, crank it up a little and step up onto they TV bumper and bounce. Try not to "raise" the TV with the TT it just makes it harder to come off. My boat is trouoblesome like this and it works for me. IMHO

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:50 AM   #5

As I jack up the TT I watch the hitch as I am separating the TT/TV. If I notice they are not separating. My first choice is to put my foot and back into it. By that I mean, I place my back onto the back of the truck, and push on the trailer frame with my foot.

Occasionally, when that has not worked when the TT is lifted just a little bit, I have “stepped” on the TV bumper.

I do not think I have ever needed to move the vehicle to break them free.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #6

I try to remember to set the parking brake on the TV prior to taking my foot off the brake pedal. Mostly I remember, mostly. This will help minimize the TV moving (doesn't eliminate movement). I also think being on pretty level ground helps too. If you're pointed down-hill the TT may try to move forward on the ball which I think binds stuff more than the opposite. In this situation maybe having a helper set the TT brake by pulling the break-away pin and setting the TV parking brake would help. Haven't tried this, jus thinkin.
If you do try this REMEMBER THE CHOCKS AND PUT THE PIN BACK IN AFTER YOU'RE OFF THE BALL!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:28 AM   #7

I put the emergency brake on the tv, put it in 'park', then lift my foot off the brake pedal (that has worked in the past for us anyhow). Of course the tt tires have been chalked. As with MikeNChelle, if needed Don has placed a foot on the bumper and bounced to move hitch off ball. The other thing that we found works well for us is to use a graduated block to put under tongue. It allows us to crank the tongue higher on the occasional trips where the hitch doesn't raise high enough.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #8

I have had it happen. Just rocking the TV is usually enough to get the two to separate. Keeping the ball lubed helps a lot.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:34 AM   #9

I never had this happen untill I bought my boat. It seems that everything is tight and wont release the ball and sometime it's hard to set the hitch on the ball too. All I've found is to keep it greased up and it helps some.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #10

The reason for binding is that the ball is jammed back against the locking lever inside the hitch. Therefore, a simple chock in front of the TT wheels if downhill toward the front, or behind the TT wheels if downhill toward the back, and it can't move. Then, a very small movement of the TV in the forward direction will release the jam, and the hitch will come right off, every time. Same with a 5th wheel, the hitch lock will jam if the trailer pin is towards the rear gate, so a simple movement of the TV, again towards the front, while the camper is chocked, will free it up every time.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:30 AM   #11

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am thinking hubby was putting into park first then emergency brake. So we will try that tonite when we bring it home from where we store it. Looking forward to a long weekend, heading out fri morning and returning monday night!
Old 08-02-2012, 08:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthi View Post
I put the emergency brake on the tv, put it in 'park', then lift my foot off the brake pedal (that has worked in the past for us anyhow). Of course the tt tires have been chalked. As with MikeNChelle, if needed Don has placed a foot on the bumper and bounced to move hitch off ball. The other thing that we found works well for us is to use a graduated block to put under tongue. It allows us to crank the tongue higher on the occasional trips where the hitch doesn't raise high enough.
This is how I do it too, And I also use plenty of white lithium grease, The grease seems to be key!

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdorant View Post
This is how I do it too, And I also use plenty of white lithium grease, The grease seems to be key!
It sure is the key. took everyone's advice, greased it well and never had one issue this past weekend.

thanks again for all the reponses