Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-16-2015, 07:49 PM   #1

Upcoming rental trip - what to bring?

In April I'm renting a Redhawk 29XK for a month. I'm making a list of things to bring and I've pretty much got the food and personal items covered as I've taken many trips over the years. Just never in an RV.

What else should I add to my list that I would probably never think of since I've never been camping or in an RV before (camping as a kid doesn't count). A friend already told me that Walmart has some decent 2-ply TP that will work better than the rough 1-ply RV paper. So, got myself covered in that regard (literally- HA!).

I saw in another thread mention of disposable gloves and wipes for the hose hook ups - never thought of that!

I also know I'm going to need to create a check list of what to do when pulling in and leaving a campground - what should go on that list?

Thanks much!
Old 02-16-2015, 10:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
In April I'm renting a Redhawk 29XK for a month. I'm making a list of things to bring and I've pretty much got the food and personal items covered as I've taken many trips over the years. Just never in an RV.

What else should I add to my list that I would probably never think of since I've never been camping or in an RV before (camping as a kid doesn't count). A friend already told me that Walmart has some decent 2-ply TP that will work better than the rough 1-ply RV paper. So, got myself covered in that regard (literally- HA!).

I saw in another thread mention of disposable gloves and wipes for the hose hook ups - never thought of that!

I also know I'm going to need to create a check list of what to do when pulling in and leaving a campground - what should go on that list?

Thanks much!
The RV TP and gloves are certainly good to have.

You might check in JOF under 'General Jayco RV Chat' a 'sticky' about your first trip in an RV. A lot of it probably won't apply to you, but you may find a lot of things in there that might apply. Or maybe they will trigger thoughts about things you hadn't thought about.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:29 PM   #3

Every rental RV trailer I have used had the cheapest sewer hoses - all only had one connection on one side and no connector on the other side just open hose. That only works if you plan on dumping everywhere on the ground.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
You might check in JOF under 'General Jayco RV Chat' a 'sticky' about your first trip in an RV. A lot of it probably won't apply to you, but you may find a lot of things in there that might apply. Or maybe they will trigger thoughts about things you hadn't thought about.
THANKS!!

Yes, I'm shouting! I just read that section and found tons of stuff to add - both the list of things to pack and the now-created list of things to do while on the road.

My packing list is broken down by each room, such as bathroom, bedroom, kitchen and a separate category for stuff for my cat. That'll make it easier to make sure I get what I need.

One thing hubby suggested is to put the height of the rig on a sticky note on the dash so I won't forget it and not before it's too late!
Old 02-17-2015, 12:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadamn View Post
Every rental RV trailer I have used had the cheapest sewer hoses - all only had one connection on one side and no connector on the other side just open hose. That only works if you plan on dumping everywhere on the ground.
Do I need to get some additional item then to make them work? The Redhawk is a 2015 so I'm hoping everything will be new and still in working order. And the guy running the place seems to really care about everything.

Heck, they don't even charge extra to have it fully stocked (minus food, of course). However, I'm going to have them leave most of it out as I want my own bedding, pillows and such. And the coffee maker (detest coffee; and yes, I even had a temp job at Starbucks corporate years ago!) and toaster (gluten intolerant).

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2015, 12:11 AM   #6

Just check to see what they give you. If the hose has only one end, toss it and buy a real one from Walmart. You need to ask them what other normal trailer stuff it will have - wheel chocks, leveling blocks, water sanitizer, hose for fresh water, etc. I assume you are staying in one place with electric?

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadamn View Post
Just check to see what they give you. If the hose has only one end, toss it and buy a real one from Walmart. You need to ask them what other normal trailer stuff it will have - wheel chocks, leveling blocks, water sanitizer, hose for fresh water, etc. I assume you are staying in one place with electric?
I'll be traveling down to Sacramento from Seattle via I5 and then back up along the coast on highways 1 and 101. I won't be in any one place for very long. But I do plan to have hook ups every night (if possible!), but will be prepared to spend the night in a rest stop or elsewhere if need be.

And yes, I have a check list of things I need to ask if it'll be supplied for me.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:53 AM   #8

If it is going to be chilly at night a good space heater. You are already paying for electric as part of the cg fees. You have to pay to refill your propane tanks. I use a space heater for primary heat and then have my furnace set to kick on if the space heater cant keep up!!!
jkochmit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkochmit1 View Post
If it is going to be chilly at night a good space heater. You are already paying for electric as part of the cg fees.
Thanks! I had that on the list as a friend of mine has a motor home and she suggested that. Otherwise I never would have thought of that until your post, so I do appreciate you taking the time to post it.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:57 AM   #10

I would search YouTube. Lots of good videos you can look at for tips on setting up the camper. Here is one for "How to level a travel trailer".

jayfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:09 PM   #11

Quote:
One thing hubby suggested is to put the height of the rig on a sticky note on the dash so I won't forget it and not before it's too late!
Good idea. Also, be aware that there are pipes, tanks, electrical wires, etc. that hang rather low beneath a motorhome. It is very easy to drag these on a curb or at a sharp change in profile of the roadway, e.g. when entering a driveway or on a divided highway crossover. When we rented one in the 90s, Cruise America told me the insurance did not cover damage above the windshield or beneath the bumpers.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:13 PM   #12

Quote:
but will be prepared to spend the night in a rest stop if need be.
Please don't do that. Better to find a campground and pay the price to have people around you.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:31 PM   #13

I would check inside and out with a very fine tooth comb. Ever scratch, dent, mark burned spot ,or marred spot you see mark it on the rental agreement. And don't forget the windshield. I had a friend that didn't and ended up paying for damage that was already there. I think I would take out the rental insurance if offered.
xtruckerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Roamer View Post
Also, be aware that there are pipes, tanks, electrical wires, etc. that hang rather low beneath a motorhome.
Oh, thanks for this NC Roamer! I never would have thought of this.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruckerbob View Post
I would check inside and out with a very fine tooth comb. Ever scratch, dent, mark burned spot ,or marred spot you see mark it on the rental agreement. And don't forget the windshield. I had a friend that didn't and ended up paying for damage that was already there. I think I would take out the rental insurance if offered.
I do have insurance through my vehicle company as long as I don't have it for longer than 30 days, which I won't. It's already been added on for my rental time period.

And I plan to take good photos of everything, inside and out, when I pick up the rig. I had a similar problem with a car rental regarding the driver's side mirror that hung down within a few miles. I called the place and they told me to duct tape it together and there wouldn't be any problems when I returned it. (I didn't want to return it as it was a very zippy car that was fun to drive, a Cougar.) Yeah, famous last words! I fought that for a long time but they eventually decided I didn't have to pay.

I'm also taking along a check list and will show it to the place to see if there's more I need to add to it (things to check before driving off - stuff like that). I've picked up lots of great tips from various threads on this forum.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:27 AM   #16

Since you said your taking your own TP make sure it is "Septic safe" It should say that right on the packaging.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote