Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2012, 07:13 AM   #1

Upgrade 15amp breaker to 20amp ? anyone done this

Hi there...We have a 2011 Jayco X19 hybrid and do most of our cooking using the outside plug...however, when I plug in the kettle and then plug in another appliance, like a toaster it blows the 15amp breaker. Has anyone upgrade a 15amp breaker to a 20 amp?? Can it be done? Where do I get the breaker? Do you think it would void the warranty (probably)? thoughts?? thanks
Old 07-25-2012, 08:22 AM   #2

It's a safety issue. The circuit is designed for 15 amp. If you need multiple high current items running at the same time you should add another circuit. Bear in mind you will still be limited to 30 amps total. Now consider the kettle, the toaster and the air conditioner. THEN the water heater element kicks in. OOPS, popped the main breaker in the converter or at the pedestal.

Electric usage in an RV does require planning and compromise.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentzie View Post
Hi there...We have a 2011 Jayco X19 hybrid and do most of our cooking using the outside plug...however, when I plug in the kettle and then plug in another appliance, like a toaster it blows the 15amp breaker. Has anyone upgrade a 15amp breaker to a 20 amp?? Can it be done? Where do I get the breaker? Do you think it would void the warranty (probably)? thoughts?? thanks
A 15 amp circuit uses 14AWG wire. A 20 amp circuit requires 12AWG. You can't simply install a 20 amp breaker and be safe.

I wouldn't worry about voiding the warranty. It probably doesn't cover burning up the trailer anyway.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #4

Being you cooking outside. Use an extension cord from the “current bush” (electrical post) most have a 20 amp outlet in them also. I use a12 gauge, 25’ extension cord and plug in there for additional power.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Being you cooking outside. Use an extension cord from the “current bush” (electrical post) most have a 20 amp outlet in them also. I use a12 gauge, 25’ extension cord and plug in there for additional power.
I have done this, and it works well. I also got one of those portable GFCI adapters to put on the cord, since I have seen campgrounds with outlets that aren't GFCI, and you are using the cord outdoors, so this is a safe approach against getting electrocuted.

I agree with the others, don't put a larger circuit breaker on a 15 amp circuit.

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:25 AM   #6

I don't think you should try changing out breakers. The safety of you and your family should come before try ing to use a toaster. Like others said run a extension cord from the pedestal to your toaster. Thats what i do when using the waffle maker. Hope this helps
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:33 AM   #7

Or,....... go back to your camping roots and don't use electricity to make toast. Use one of those toasters for the propane stove.

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #8

X2 on adding another circuit instead of a larger breaker. Upgrading the breaker on a circuit not designed for 20 amp is simply asking for a fire. For your safety, please don't.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
X2
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #10

Why not use this as excuse to get bigger camper?get one with the outside kitchen
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #11
Site Team

Welcome to the forum! I concur that a 20amp breaker needs the larger 12AWG wire then the 14AWG of the 15 amp. Simply switching out the breakers is not enough. The wire has to carry the load.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:39 AM   #12

I've been an electrician for over 20 years. Don't replace a 15 amp with a 20 amp. As others have said, the wire (14 gauge) isn't rated to 20 amp. It can melt the insulation and wire before a 20 amp breaker can trip and start a fire. I've seen the aftermath of someone doing this and it's not pretty. DON'T DO IT!!
2004 Ford F150 Supercrew 4x4 5.4 Triton
10000lb Equal-i-zer WDH with 4pt sway control
lunatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #13

Remember the fuse is to protect the wiring not the device. So, if you pull 30amps through a circuit designed for max 20amps, you'll cause excessive heat build up in the wiring until it cooks off the insulation and starts a fire. It can and will glow red hot.
Mirrocraft
2 Dogs, 2Cats, 4 Kids and 1 Grandaughter:D
1979 Winnebago Brave 28
1976 Jayco Wren PU
rdhousejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #14

X2 on JAGIVEN comment... I do this all the time when camping. All of my outside power requirements is from an extension cord plugged into the site PEDESTAL 20AMP source. We run all of our outside lights, the greeting pole lamp, maybe a 20-inch box fan for sitting around the camp fire to keep mosquitoes off of us, momabears pot roast in an electric skillet, etc. This has its own circuit breaker and will not draw any power from your 30AMP PEDESTAL connection. I will run my Oil-filled radaitor looking electric heaters from this pedestal as well when it gets cool outside. Better to use the camp site electric instead of your propane hehe...

This is also what we use for some high power items like electric heaters, wife's hair dryer, vacuum. etc... I cary several HD extension cords with us just for this situation.

When the A/C is running 24/7 during these HOT TEMP times you are running the risk big time of tripping a breaker somewhere...

This comes under my PLAN-B planning...
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote