Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2017, 08:12 PM   #1

Upgrading from PUP. TT or Hybrid?

For starters, disregard my user ID as 3 of our 4 are now 20-24 y/o and don't camp with us much. Our plan is to retain our 2007 Jayco 1007 PUP and let them bring it and deal with its headaches when/if they come along or have their own kids, so it's just the wife, our 9 y/o, a niece or friend, and me.

All the reasons for upgrading have been discussed on other threads and apply to us: setup time, time to pack everything in TV, stooping for refrig, bikes on roof of TV, etc. Current TV is a 2008 Chevy TB factory tow, V6, and 5200 pound tow capacity. Plan is to buy a Colorado/Canyon with 7,000 lbs. tow capacity. Full-size half-ton is not an option. TV has to be wife's car as I drive 25-30k miles/year and have to have an economy car. Wife won't do full-size truck or SUV.

We're debating between the X23B or the 25BH. Please weigh in on points we should consider. Here's how we see the comparison.

X23B Pros: Love the closet space, lighter (could possibly tow with current TV), sofa and dinette form sort of a sectional, shorter trailer but expands to equivalent of 30' trailer. Cons: potential for leaks, sleeping under canvas can be loud and damp, still SOME setup time.

25BH Pros: Not sleeping under canvas, NO setup, bunks better able to sleep more than 4. Cons: less closet space (big problem for us), less TV watching seating, heavier (too heavy for current TV).

We believe we'd do more short and weekend trips if we could keep our trailer pre-loaded with clothes, gear, etc. We figure on keeping 10-12 years but maybe change to a rear-living model when we retire.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions from experienced owners greatly appreciated.
raising4daughters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:36 PM   #2

We have a 2010 model 1007 PUP that we just picked up in December. My wife is already looking to upgrade with very similar concerns that you voice here. I lean toward the hybrid and I think she's looking more at a travel trailer. I'll also be curious what the seasoned campers here have to say on your inquiry.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by raising4daughters View Post
For starters, disregard my user ID as 3 of our 4 are now 20-24 y/o and don't camp with us much. Our plan is to retain our 2007 Jayco 1007 PUP and let them bring it and deal with its headaches when/if they come along or have their own kids, so it's just the wife, our 9 y/o, a niece or friend, and me.

All the reasons for upgrading have been discussed on other threads and apply to us: setup time, time to pack everything in TV, stooping for refrig, bikes on roof of TV, etc. Current TV is a 2008 Chevy TB factory tow, V6, and 5200 pound tow capacity. Plan is to buy a Colorado/Canyon with 7,000 lbs. tow capacity. Full-size half-ton is not an option. TV has to be wife's car as I drive 25-30k miles/year and have to have an economy car. Wife won't do full-size truck or SUV.

We're debating between the X23B or the 25BH. Please weigh in on points we should consider. Here's how we see the comparison.

X23B Pros: Love the closet space, lighter (could possibly tow with current TV), sofa and dinette form sort of a sectional, shorter trailer but expands to equivalent of 30' trailer. Cons: potential for leaks, sleeping under canvas can be loud and damp, still SOME setup time.

25BH Pros: Not sleeping under canvas, NO setup, bunks better able to sleep more than 4. Cons: less closet space (big problem for us), less TV watching seating, heavier (too heavy for current TV).

We believe we'd do more short and weekend trips if we could keep our trailer pre-loaded with clothes, gear, etc. We figure on keeping 10-12 years but maybe change to a rear-living model when we retire.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions from experienced owners greatly appreciated.
I can speak on the 23B. We love it! It lighr, lots of counter space. Storage space is plentiful.

There is three of us, when traveling long distances we can turtle for the night. Our son gets the sofa, he is 6 ft, and says the sofa is a bit short, but does not mind it for a night here and there.

Setup time is quick. We're setup in 30 minutes, all working together. To make the beds, we unzip the screens, I stand outside helping. DW is inside helping.

Everything stays in the htt, between trips, easy access, easy to load and unload. If we are at home un/loading and it's raining, no big deal, I'll open the awning even a bit to cover the door, we stay mostly dry.

I like the bunks, I'll open the windows for lots of cross ventilation, and light. The ac for us works great.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:48 PM   #4

I also have a hybrid and everything Jagiven said is right on the money and were older than he is. Like the idea of towing something short and ends up being 6-7' longer. Gas stations easy, grocery store parking lots easy, getting side tracked in the city of Portland well not easy but I did it without a scratch.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:22 AM   #5

We went from a Pop-up to a small RV. We considered a hybrid but then ruled it out because very simply we like the fact that all we have to do is level and plug in. The bed is already made!
Old 08-20-2017, 04:49 AM   #6

Well we went from a PUP to a X213. I know the X213 might be out of your size, but we went with the TT instead of hybrid because we got tired of the PUP setup. I also wanted a full size bathroom. Now we just pull up level and plug in. Don't have to worry about rain or drying things out before we stow it. Or have to open everything back up when we get home to make sure things are dry. Also stays much warmer for those chilly nights ...

John
2011 Jay Feather Ultra Lite X213
2000 Chevy 2500HD Silverado
jmoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:38 AM   #7

I never liked popups or hybrids. We had one for a while and it was ok. I kinda feel that if I am going to live under canvas I would rather just have a tent. We had a large one for camping with the kids and liked it.

The main reason for us to get an RV was a hard roof and walls.

So, yeah, I would recommend a TT. Sized to fit your tow vehicle and learn how to load it as well as handle emergencies.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:02 AM   #8

I like the hybrids because I do a lot of dry camping and like the air flow on three sides at night when I can't run an air conditioner. I like sleeping under canvas--especially when it rains.

Making the beds can be a bit of a pain but we wash the sheets each time we camp; they would have to be made up anyhow. It just seems that it's always a million degrees outside when it's time to make the beds!
Old 08-20-2017, 07:47 AM   #9

From tents, to PUP, to our 23RB and never looked back. I still enjoy my hiking and backpacking but for family trips the TT is awesome. I love that everything is already in there ready to go beside us, our clothes, and food. We can roll out on a whim in less than an hour.
No slides to fail, no canvas to sweat or leak, just a nice box on wheels that sets up in 15 minutes on site.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:00 AM   #10

Our first TT was the X23B and I echo what's been said. The amount of space inside is impressive and the short towing length made it easy to tow.
That said, make sure your planned TV will be up to the task. Ours weighed in around 4500# and had 600# on the hitch. Out TV was an '03 Ford Expedition which had a 9000# tow rating. The CAT Scale showed we were about 200# below the Rear GAWR with just the bride and myself aboard. It towed "adequately".

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:03 AM   #11

Bed sizes X23B (Jagiven or Other Owners)

It's been a while since the wife and I were in an X23B.

Can someone refresh our memory? Are the fold-out beds the same size? I thought they were, but the layout diagrams on line appear to show the front as a queen and rear as just a double.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:30 AM   #12

My only comment about a HTT compared to a TT is that with having bed ends it gets harder and harder to crawl into them or even get up and have to crawl over your other half in the middle of the night. And the older you get the worse it gets.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:20 AM   #13

Check into what the Colorado/Camyons factory mounted hitch max tw rating (not the max trailer weight) is before commuting to which trailer you will go with. Without looking up either one, not sure what either models "brochure" listed dr tw is, or what the possibly loaded tw could be. Also verify the rated payload of the truck to make sure you have enough as well.

Those two ratings on the truck will possibly limit you to which trailer you can go with. Though from what I've read the Colorado/Canyons rated payload is as much if not more than what some 1500/150 trucks have!!!

Good luck shopping!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:39 AM   #14

Quote:

Can someone refresh our memory? Are the fold-out beds the same size? I thought they were, but the layout diagrams on line appear to show the front as a queen and rear as just a double.
Cannot answer you 100% but I have the X19H and the floorplan looks the same as the X23B regarding the bed at the back looking smaller. Our X19H both beds are Queen. The back bed encroaches into the trailer by about 6" so therefore looking at pictures the bed looks smaller but it isn't. Makes the door on the back easier to open/close for one person.

Also came across RVUSA website and they list the X23B as having 2 queens.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:44 AM   #15

Quote:

I do not know if the new one have changed, but ours are marketed as both queens. The rear matress is 1 to 2 inches narrower than the front. Only know this as I store both mattress on the dinnette each winter.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 12:28 PM   #16

My suggestion is to get the camera that you can tow. I would not get a larger camper if your tow vehicle can not handle it. Upgrade the TV before the camper if you want a larger camper. It is your choice, so go with the unit that makes you and your family happy.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 02:20 PM   #17

My thoughts are the same as yours concerning the 23RB. Has enough room. No slide to malfunction. We have not had a chance to use it much, even though we bought it in June of this year. However, beginning Labor Day weekend, we will be using it 32 days in two months, plus 3 more days in November.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
From tents, to PUP, to our 23RB and never looked back. I still enjoy my hiking and backpacking but for family trips the TT is awesome. I love that everything is already in there ready to go beside us, our clothes, and food. We can roll out on a whim in less than an hour.
No slides to fail, no canvas to sweat or leak, just a nice box on wheels that sets up in 15 minutes on site.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:11 PM   #18

I have a 25BH and in my opinion it may be a bit much for a Colorado. We just got back from a trip this week with my good friend and he has a new Colorado. He has a 4 door 4wd z71 package and payload was about 1400lbs. His trailer is about 21ft long non hybrid and he said the trailer pushes him around quite a bit. I also think his hitch is not set up for his truck so that could be part of it as well. Just to give you real world numbers, my tongue weight loaded (and we pack on the lighter side) is 900lbs verified by a cat scale.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-2017, 06:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoors View Post
Well we went from a PUP to a X213. I know the X213 might be out of your size, but we went with the TT instead of hybrid because we got tired of the PUP setup. I also wanted a full size bathroom. Now we just pull up level and plug in. Don't have to worry about rain or drying things out before we stow it. Or have to open everything back up when we get home to make sure things are dry. Also stays much warmer for those chilly nights ...
I bought the X213 as well, we love it...my neighbour sold his Jayco hybrid and he wants mine...lol. He and his wife love the king slide out and bunks at the front for their two kids.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:21 PM   #20

X213

Like the alternative of the X213 to the 25BH. I agree with the poster above that a 25BH is likely too big for a Chevy Colorado or equivalent.

The X213 has similar specs to the X23B, so I think both are towable with a compact truck. The think we like about the X23B is the closet space. We bring a lot of stuff and hate leaving things out. If we go the route of a TT/HTT, we want to treat it like a 2nd home with everything stocked and ready to go.....pots, pans, clothes, camping gear, etc. It appears the X23B has more closet space. Plus we like the slide.

That said, we DO like the X213's king bed and front bunks. Nice alternative to the X23B for sure.