Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-28-2018, 10:22 AM   #1

Use existing TPMS on the toad?

I've been thinking about the pluses and minuses of using an aftermarket TPMS system. I am aware of their value in preventing tire failure or RV damage, and increasing safety, but there are a couple of things which bother me.
  • Cap type sensors can be lost/stolen.
  • Cap type sensors can cause wheel imbalance, especially on smaller-diameter toad wheels. And it would go unnoticed since no one is riding in the toad.
  • The attachment point of cap type sensors could be another point of slow air leakage.
  • Internal type sensors can be expensive to install, and expensive to maintain when the batteries need changed.
It seems to me that it would really be an advantage if a TPMS system could monitor the OEM TPMS sensors already inside the toad wheels. Has anyone heard of such a system?

2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:13 PM   #2

No but I’ve had success with a very inexpensive unit that you might want to check out. You can at least set it up to monitor your toad from the coach. It’s the carchet tpms system. It uses Small valve stem cap sensors. I used it for 2 yrs. no leaks no issues. Just follow the instructions and you won’t have any issue. Just had to change the batteries once a year. They come with a tool to lock the sensors. The system sells for about $45 on eBay so even if it’s stolen no big deal. I used it on my TT and it worked great. I bought a 2nd system now to see if they will both work on the 6 tires on my MH. I’m hoping they use different frequencies. If not I will just sell one system and keep the other for my toad.
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 05:55 PM   #3

TPMS on the Toad Tires Works Very Well

I use my Truck Systems Technologies 507 TPMS System on my RV, Tow Dolly and Camry rear tires (touching the ground) and it works great. It has alarmed twice when I have had slow leaks in the Camry tires due to road shrapnel, so I am very glad I have it.
Regarding your questions:
-The .54 oz. of extra weight (with these sensors) does not seem to be enough to cause any problem with the tire balance. I agree no one is in the vehicle but there is no odd tire wear with them installed. I take them off after a trip and let the internal factory TPMS work for normal use.
-The “507 RV Cap Sensors” (which I have 14 of) have an anti-theft feature built in and I’ve never lost one
-These cap sensors can be used on rubber stems (some sensors require metal) and do not leak if installed properly, i.e. just snug and not super tight
-Batteries are user changeable and mine last two years as I remove the sensors from the tire when the RV is in storage for the winter
I hope this helps.