Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-21-2017, 06:04 PM   #1

Used RV prices

What do banks and RV dealers use to value used RV's?

I am trying to figure out how much to ask for my fully loaded '16 Jay Flight 26BH Elite if we decide to sell it outright when we upgrade to a larger Jayco Jay Flight. Currently loving the new 2018 28BHS floor plan!

It seems the RV dealers are only willing to give wholesale trade in values since they are selling new units at wholesale prices (so they say) and I want to make sure I'm not getting taken too bad should I decide to trade it in towards the new one. The problem is I would get the same wholesale price on the new TT even if I didn't have a trade.

I have looked through RV Trader to see what my TT is going for, but there are very few for sale that are optioned like ours.

Thank you in advance!
2015 RAM 3500HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, Tradesman Crew Cab 4WD
Duke_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:10 PM   #2
Site Team

NADA has a used RV pricing guide, not sure if the banks/Dealers use that resource or not.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:23 PM   #3

Oil fields of TX, NM and ND bring premium prices.
As does Alaska .
I can't speak for elsewhere.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:28 PM   #4

IMO the public Nada Values are very high. I doubt the bank gets the same values. I've seen on more than one occasion where NADA valued a used trailer higher than the exact trailer can be bought used.

I have both bought and sold private party used trailers.

Sold a 25 mth old trailer for ~50% of MSRP. It's been a while, but but for our 26BH (fully optioned) I recall list being ~$26, new I paid $18 and sold it for $14,500.

Bought the 29QBH for $16k. Don't know what the originally owner paid, but we were also looking at them new and they pretty consistently carried low $30s MSRP.

None of the banks had any issues with these prices.

Hope it helps.

Be prepared to lose a few thousand to sell a TT so quickly, but it is what it is.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:46 PM   #5

On the subject of nada pricing, I have seen many people that don't follow the instructions when picking options. The instructions say to pick everything that is not standard and they check everything their trailer has including standard items. They end up thinking the trailer is worth way more than it actually is.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
quantum743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:59 PM   #6

When we were looking for a nice used Jayco 22FB last winter we found very few really clean used units of any brand w/ similar layout & size. Obviously you won't get what you paid for it, or close to a new discounted one, but if yours is very nice and well optioned, don't be afraid to ask top dollar. You can always come down (everyone offers less), but can't go back up when you price it too low. Dealers will try to scalp you. Clean used TT's are in demand! Noticed you're in VT, so fall & winter may not be the best selling season, but people are looking for good ones year round. Bought mine in VA mountains in Feb. Lee in Eastern NC
Gypsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:31 PM   #7

RVTrader.com

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:37 PM   #8

Thank you again all for the great replies so far. Keep them coming.

Our plan if all goes well is to have the new TT by May / June '18. So that would mean we would need to order by February / March to get it in time to start the camping season. My thought is we would put ours up for sale around February when people are getting taxes back and getting the camping itch. If it don't sell out right by time the new unit comes in, we'll just trade it in. Our 26BH is in absolutely great condition and very clean. We are non smokers and there has never been any pets in it. Never had any major issues with it and I've addressed any small issues that have come about. I have done some nice upgrades to it that I've shared in previous threads. We have had two wonderful seasons with it and it has treated us very well. Just time to get something with a little more space inside since we spend almost every weekend in it through the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 RAM 3500HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, Tradesman Crew Cab 4WD
Duke_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:32 PM   #9

Forgot to mention, we did most of our search on Craig's List. Adjoining states to NC, and even up in the Great Lakes (where we often vacation), since they have a shorter season and no burning sun roasting the roof like in the South. We looked primarily for owner units so we would know their history. Dealers units seemed very over priced, and often their condition was misrepresented. Your well kept VT unit may be just what folks are looking for. Post it on multiple Craig List locations / cities. Good luck!

Lee in eastern NC
2010 Jay Flight 22 FB
2011 F150, SCrew, 5.0, 3.73, 157"wb, HD tow pkg, ARE shell, Husky wdh
Gypsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:59 PM   #10

NADA is what all the banks I've contacted go by. My credit union and two other local banks based off NADA. My credit union goes up to 100% of the higher NADA amount (average retail).

Someone already mentioned this, but the issue is sellers/buyers have to make sure not to select a bunch of options that come standard on the trailer when getting the NADA value. Many things on the TTs I've researched are included in the standard NADA pricing. In fact, most things are already included.

The issue I'm running into is the trailers I am interested in are the cleanest on Craigslist in my area and the sellers are all asking 2-3 k higher than NADA average retail (before negotiations).
htr2133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by htr2133 View Post
NADA is what all the banks I've contacted go by. My credit union and two other local banks based off NADA. My credit union goes up to 100% of the higher NADA amount (average retail).

Someone already mentioned this, but the issue is sellers/buyers have to make sure not to select a bunch of options that come standard on the trailer when getting the NADA value. Many things on the TTs I've researched are included in the standard NADA pricing. In fact, most things are already included.

The issue I'm running into is the trailers I am interested in are the cleanest on Craigslist in my area and the sellers are all asking 2-3 k higher than NADA average retail (before negotiations).
I don't see where this is an issue. Just like RV dealers, they are jacking up the price because they know people will want to work them down. Just offer them 2-3K below NADA. If an RV dealer, offer them 4-5k below NADA, you can bet they scalped whoever traded it in to them anyway.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:37 AM   #12

my thoughts exactly. I planning to offer low nada retail unless the TT is immaculate.
htr2133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:08 AM   #13

Use the NADA.com website, don't factor in any options. This will give you a range of low to high retail. Dealers will calculate using the Wholesale price. Most people have an emotional attachment to their camper, thinking it's worth more than it is. Hope this helps.
sbarlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by htr2133 View Post

According to my dealer, who I've dealt with 1977, banks don't add any options to the NADA book value they use for loan amount. Also that book is dealer/ bank version, not the one you normally see.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:26 PM   #15

Although I know very little about rv dealer networks, I thinkn they would operate very close to the way auto dealers do,. No matter what numbers the dealer shows you as trade in, it is very difficult, if not impossible, to get more than "black book" wholesale for your trade in. The reason is because the dealer can go to an auction and buy a vehicle nearly the same as yours for wholesale, Also the dealer has to be able to take your trade to auction, if it does not sell in a reasonable length of time, and at the least sell it for a break even price. Although I may not have explained this clearly, basically this is the way trading works.
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:00 PM   #16

Many dealers, such as us, do not buy at auction nor do we sell unwanted/unsold units to an auction. All of our trade-ins come directly from customers who trade in to us. In that manner we can screen the trade in and know some history of the original owner.
sbarlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:15 PM   #17

I just bought mine and the CU has a different NADA to look at then a regular consumer... the wholesale cost is what a dealer will give you in trade in period... it is a business... I was able to get a very clean Octane 26T for $1k over the CU wholesale price plus my time and gas etc... to go pick it up.. which was another $400... The initial asking price was very high but as time went on and the low ballers took their shot.. he decided to part with it and I was lucky enough to get in on it..

The consumer NADA is high IMO.. as the CU wholesale pricing was $2k lower than the lowest retail number... FWIW...

funny though the loan underwriter wanted to know why it was so cheap...

edit : I also got the $600 reese antisway/load balancing hitch too... so a wash for getting it... plus some other small goodies.. that came in handy...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:48 AM   #18

One thing i have noticed about craigslist is most people price items high and are expecting to negotiate or be "talked down" in price
Of course dealers don't expect for customers to pay MSRP either so that number is not realistic either

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakterp View Post
One thing i have noticed about craigslist is most people price items high and are expecting to negotiate or be "talked down" in price
I think a lot of people play follow the leader as well. The price there unit based on others prices without doing any homework

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2017, 12:38 PM   #20
Site Team

When shopping it's good to look at what others are paying for the same unit, not what they are asking.

Most used guides available to the public are greatly inflated and many sellers will add options and inflate the listed price even more. The options are already included in the inflated value.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote