Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-13-2016, 07:22 PM   #1

Using a deep cycle battery inside the trailer

In the past I've used a deep cycle battery inside connected with an inverter to power the tv when dry camping when I want to power down the generator.

Any dangers in doing this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StarGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:42 PM   #2

Poisonous gasses.

Yep. It's dangerous inside.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:58 AM   #3

charging the battery can generate hydrogen, so if you only use it inside and recharge it outside it's should not be a problem.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:01 AM   #4

Use an AGM type battery. These do not off gas the way flooded batteries do, and would be somewhat safer. My SUV has the battery in the passenger compartment, (under the centre row seats) and uses an AGM battery for added safety.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:36 AM   #5

Any flooded cell battery belongs OUTside! Same rules one applies to propane tanks. Various toxic/flammable gasses and the potential of an acid spill?

No thanks! All liquid-filled batteries stay securely strapped to the tongue.

And I am still a bit suspicious of the fire hazard of Li-ion batteries too.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:46 AM   #6

I do have an AGM battery actually. Until I can figure out the cord routing to keep the battery outside I'll just be sensible about it. The only thing it's being used for is to give power to the TV. The dvd/radio is powered from the onboard battery so really not much draw on it. I will simply place it outside during the day when charging off the generator.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarGazer View Post
I do have an AGM battery actually. Until I can figure out the cord routing to keep the battery outside I'll just be sensible about it. The only thing it's being used for is to give power to the TV. The dvd/radio is powered from the onboard battery so really not much draw on it. I will simply place it outside during the day when charging off the generator.
An AGM battery will give you no grief about noxious gasses or spills. It is a sealed unit. It will also give you horrible service life when used in a deep-cycle role.

At the campground this weekend, I noticed at least one camper had used jumper cables to parallel-up two batteries (one on the tongue, the other on the ground) to give greater run time.

That idea won't work for an inverter located at the other end of the RV since the line losses for the 12V wiring at that length, will leave you with 9V when you turn the TV on.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:04 PM   #8

Well I got this one off amazon and reviews are stellar so in giving it a whirl this weekend. Will only be powering the tv for about 3 hours per night so I'm sure for this use I'll be fine.

Optima Batteries 8016-103 D34M BlueTop Starting and Deep Cycle Marine Battery

Old 06-14-2016, 12:43 PM   #9

I will be relocating batteries to insider the trailer once I pick up the trailer. There are deep cycle AGMs, but they are expensive. Therefore I decided to go with lithium batteries (300 or 400 AH bank).
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 04:07 PM   #10

Personally, I'd have no problems using a lead/acid battery inside the TT to power a device. To the best of my knowledge, a battery only outgasses hydrogen and oxygen when charging with bulk stage voltage. Charge it outside, use it inside- not a problem IMHO.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:42 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
I will be relocating batteries to insider the trailer once I pick up the trailer. There are deep cycle AGMs, but they are expensive. Therefore I decided to go with lithium batteries (300 or 400 AH bank).
Question... do you know the temperature of the storage area you are going to keep your Lithium batteries in? Heat is not a friend of Lithium batteries for extended periods of time.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:08 PM   #12

I have an AGM battery that I have useed exclusively for the same purpose suggested here. It is now 9 years old and shows no signs of crapping out. For Winter camping, watching the TV after dark often extends to more than 3 hours.

When we go home I take it with me and charge it up with a smart charger monthly.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
I have an AGM battery that I have useed exclusively for the same purpose suggested here. It is now 9 years old and shows no signs of crapping out. For Winter camping, watching the TV after dark often extends to more than 3 hours.

When we go home I take it with me and charge it up with a smart charger monthly.

Well that's great to hear! I'll be dry camping on the beach this Father's Day weekend and the kids will not go to sleep without the tv on and all generators have to be shut down at 9pm. So pretty much it's to have family movies on after hours when there's not much else to do. Although we do breakout the board games as well.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarGazer View Post
Well I got this one off amazon and reviews are stellar so in giving it a whirl this weekend. Will only be powering the tv for about 3 hours per night so I'm sure for this use I'll be fine.

Optima Batteries 8016-103 D34M BlueTop Starting and Deep Cycle Marine Battery
Don't want to harsh your buzz, but the one truth bandied about for AGM (or any LA battery) is that you can have either decent starting or deep cycle, but not both. I would be skeptical of any battery that claims both. But, hey, I don't know this particular battery, and am wrong as often as I am right...
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:13 PM   #15

Good question. I do not know now about the temperature, as I did not pick up the trailer yet. However, the batteries (and inverter) I guess would be under the bunk bed and this is a storage compartment accessible also from outside through a door. I think the storage door with some fan could be used to cool down the compartment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Question... do you know the temperature of the storage area you are going to keep your Lithium batteries in? Heat is not a friend of Lithium batteries for extended periods of time.

Don
Old 06-15-2016, 07:26 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Good question. I do not know now about the temperature, as I did not pick up the trailer yet. However, the batteries (and inverter) I guess would be under the bunk bed and this is a storage compartment accessible also from outside through a door. I think the storage door with some fan could be used to cool down the compartment...
These batteries are great and they have come a long way in the last few years. They have a great operating voltage (-10 to 150F) but if they are kept and used in a temperature of 91 degrees, they can harm the battery and you can lose 50% of your cycle life (2500 - 5000 cycles). If you can put a remote thermometer with an alarm feature to insure that the temp does not stay around 91 degrees.

The storage is also an issue.. like my TT it can get to 95 in the storage areas while in storage next to the house. You may have to vent the area to keep the temperature down

Just something to think about before anything goes wrong with the batteries.

Good luck!!! Keep us informed.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:07 AM   #17

All great points, thank you Don.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:12 AM   #18

Using a deep cycle battery inside the trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Don't want to harsh your buzz, but the one truth bandied about for AGM (or any LA battery) is that you can have either decent starting or deep cycle, but not both. I would be skeptical of any battery that claims both. But, hey, I don't know this particular battery, and am wrong as often as I am right...

Well all I can say is, I'll let you know [emoji6]
Going by the reviews, many are using for similar purposes and reported great results. We shall see...

I should mention that there are 3 different types for this model. Blue top for deep cycle purpose, red top for starting power and yellow is for dual purpose. I got the blue.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:24 AM   #19

The AGM battery I used for my TV was a Deka Sports battery that was originally in a jetski. It isn't specifically identified as deep cycle or starting.

I built a small shelf on the wall next to the TV, which sat on the kitchen counter. I fitted the battery with a short cord and a "cigarette lighter" plug. The TV's 12V plug fit into the battery's plug.

We typically camped for 3 or 4 days at a time, and then I took the battery home and recharged it. I haven't actually used it in 2 years since our new jayco has its own power supply. Our old trailer was 100% propane. In any event I do keep it charged and it still holds a charge well.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:15 AM   #20

Why not wire your inverter to your onboard battery and use it for this application? That way there would be no need for the extra battery. Or just wire a 12vdc recepticle next ro the TV and plug the inverter in as needed.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote