Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-04-2016, 07:07 AM   #1

Using Generator in Econo Mode

I have two honda 2000's that I run in paralell. I am curious as to if ppl run theirs in econo mode when they use their air conditioner.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:47 AM   #2

I do most of the time. I leave eco off when I first fire up the AC on a very hot day but then switch over to eco mode as the interior cools down. The biggest power draw is at start up of the compressor. Running 2 Hondas in parallel will handle the start up and occasional recycle. On our house boat, I use a single H2000 to power a small portable AC unit in our houseboat. I set the tstat at max so that once it cycles on, it never shuts off. The boat has no insulation so it never gets too cool. We mostly use the ac to cool down the boat around sunset to make it comfortable for the evening and sleeping. When longer cooling is desired, I use the parallel set up and can run the roof AC that does a better job handling 90 degree summer days.

When running the parallel set up, like I said above, I pretty much always use the eco mode.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:54 AM   #3

When I had mine, the instructions stated not to run in economy mode when paired.

Jim
Old 06-07-2016, 11:23 AM   #4

The manual states that the Eco switch must be in the same position on both units. So you can use it as long as they are in the same spot. I use it all the time for AC after initial start up as others have stated. But if there's any other demands going on I don't.
foxrider68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:34 PM   #5

Not owning one of these units -- what is this eco mode? Purpose?
Old 06-07-2016, 01:07 PM   #6
BCK

In a nutshell…. Fuel savings

In standard mode the generator runs at full rated RPM all the time. Used for running larger loads or items like the microwave or AC that have large inrush at startup. Compensates better with changing loads.

Eco mode modulates the RPM to match the connected load. ie higher load = higher RPM. Used with smaller loads that are more consistent such as converter/lights/etc. Eco is for fuel efficiency but struggles with large load swings.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:16 PM   #7

Cool

After having a smaller generator I recently purchased the Honda eu7000is which is an inverter type genny. It's super quiet and I can also continuously run in eco mode since it has the capacity to start even a hot ac while running other appliances in this mode. My other generator had to stay at full throttle and even then sometimes would go into overload shutting off the power when the ac was a hot start. I found that really annoying and seemed to be constantly babysitting the generator on an extemely hot day. Also this Honda has fuel injection, no more problems starting or running at high elevation let alone carburetor gunking up when sitting idle for longer periods when not using my RV, Another great feature is I purchased the wireless "4 mode" remote from Pinellas (Honda only offers a wired remote).
Bottom line is "yes" the Honda is pricier; but when I use my RV (I boondock a lot) I can be assured that I have lots of dependable convenient power which means I am able to relax with no AC issues.
KennyG is offline   Reply With Quote