Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-25-2019, 11:30 AM   #1

Utah from California

Next June or July my wife and I (no kids, they are now 18) are planning a trip from Sacramento (Nor Cal) to Utah. I no it will be hot but I teach high-school and can only take a 2-3 week trip in the summer time.

Any ideas/suggestions? Where should we start from? Do we need advance reservations? What should we avoid?

Im towing a 26' JayFeather.
coachtcardoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 11:53 AM   #2

Rubys RV resort at Bryce Canyon. There’s a lot to see in that part of the state and it’s a nice resort. We also stayed at Fish Lake Resort, but if your not a fisherman, not much else to do. And get gas in Richfield before you head up the mountain. We have not yet been to Moab, but that’s on our next trip list. Also be prepared for thunderstorms. We had some every afternoon in July. Most of the time your at altitude, so it wasn’t very hot at all, very pleasant.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 12:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan S. View Post
Rubys RV resort at Bryce Canyon. There’s a lot to see in that part of the state and it’s a nice resort. We also stayed at Fish Lake Resort, but if your not a fisherman, not much else to do. And get gas in Richfield before you head up the mountain. We have not yet been to Moab, but that’s on our next trip list. Also be prepared for thunderstorms. We had some every afternoon in July. Most of the time your at altitude, so it wasn’t very hot at all, very pleasant.
Was in Moab the first of this month, it was a zoo! Mucho traffic, everyone is pulling a toyhauler. However, the feed store in town have a dump station! Dump and water fill for 5 bucks! Can’t beat that!! They also fill propane tanks.
2001 Dodge 3500 dually
Xboaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 03:17 PM   #4

I highly recommend this site: https://www.camperworld.com/echo-isl...ground-resort/

Wife and I stayed for one night on our way to Yellowstone last year. Wife insisted on 2 nights on our return to Calif., 2 nights turned in to 4.

Super clean and friendly staff.
2016 Feather 7 18RBM
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 05:29 PM   #5

Avoid I-15 from about 100 miles north of SLC to about 100 miles south of SLC on a Saturday! The locals drive like it's their last day on Earth. The freeway is 5 lanes wide in each direction and the southbound drivers exit from the fourth lane about 100 feet before the exit!

Looks like they are distracted until the last second and then change three lanes in the space of 5 car links to get over to exit and never touch their brakes! All of this in heavy traffic!!!!

Sorry if this insults some of you nice folks from Utah, but I will go 500 miles out of my way to not drive there again.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:16 PM   #6

If you want full hook ups I would recommend reservations. If your going to dry camp you could probably wing it. Southern Utah is pretty popular that time of the year. There were a lot of tourists with class C rentals when we were there this last summer around the national parks. So it depends on what’s on your list to see and how you want to camp. I like off grid with no crowds, my wife like glamping with a souvenir shop nearby. Just plan your gas stops properly, there’s some pretty long dry stretches.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:28 PM   #7

Anytime the kids are out of school and your heading to a tourist area, you probably want reservations. Nothing worse than driving all day and no place to stay. Most campgrounds in those areas are running 100% occupied most weekends and close to it during the week. Good Luck and enjoy your trip, it's a beautiful part of the country.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicDude View Post
I highly recommend this site: https://www.camperworld.com/echo-isl...ground-resort/

Wife and I stayed for one night on our way to Yellowstone last year. Wife insisted on 2 nights on our return to Calif., 2 nights turned in to 4.

Super clean and friendly staff.
Read your post and we’re always looking for new spots to break up the drive back from Colorado. Big plus for the cycling opportunities in the area.

Thanks for the recommendation!
NCMFFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMFFD View Post
Read your post and we’re always looking for new spots to break up the drive back from Colorado. Big plus for the cycling opportunities in the area.

Thanks for the recommendation!

WOW so many great places to camp and things to see and do here in Utah and surrounding area. Ruby Inn is a great place to base camp and visit our national parks. We have 5 here in Utah, all in the central to southern part of the state. Also close to Utah in the four corners area is Cortez Co. About 40 miles outside of Cortez is Mesa Verde where the Anasazi people lived in cliff houses. Incredible place to spend a day or two. We base camp at Delores River Campground. Super nice place, clean, friendly and more wooded than anywhere around Mesa Verde.
a few hours north of utah is Island Park Idaho. We stay at Red Rocks Campground. Super nice campground and only 20 minutes of West Yellowstone. Utah Is a must see. Come visit you won't be disappointed.

Archie

If the women don't find you handsome, they shoud at least find you handy!

Mark and Debi
Bountiful, UT
2019 Jayco Eagle HT 25.5 REOK
2017 F250 Power Stroke XL Standard Cab Long Bed
Madwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan S. View Post

+1 on Ruby's Inn and Bryce. From there you can do a beautiful scenic byway 12 that will take you some of the most beautiful scenery around. Here is a link:

https://www.visitutah.com/articles/t...enic-byway-12/

There are 5 national parks in Utah and many state parks and if you plan right you could see it all in 3 weeks base camping in 3 or 4 different areas of Southern Utah. Don't miss Bryce, Zions, Capital Reef, Monument Valley, and Arches. And..... Mesa Verde just out side of Cortez, Co in the 4 corners area is a must see. If your in Moab area its only about 3 hours away. We stay at Delores River Campground while in that area.

Have fun, and best of luck on your trip.

Archie

If the women don't find you handsome, they shoud at least find you handy!

Mark and Debi
Bountiful, UT
2019 Jayco Eagle HT 25.5 REOK
2017 F250 Power Stroke XL Standard Cab Long Bed
Madwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:41 PM   #11

Two years ago we stayed at Kodachrome and hit Bryce and a couple areas of Grand Staircase. It was pretty warm (100 or so).

Last year we hit North Rim (dispersed camp between Jacob Lake and the GCNP) technically that AZ but my friends phones kept flipping between times we were so close, day tripped up to Zion.

Tons of dispersed, boondocking land around Southern Utah if that's where you are headed.
brwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote