Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 11:16 AM   #41

I am not against staying in a Walmart parking lot for the night...that is not what I meant to say. I can see where someone would want to get a few hours of sleep and would stop at one. What I don't understand is why someone would want to spend days there, pull out the rug and chairs etc...this is not what I would enjoy. I still like to pull over in a campground for the night if possible. But I have kids that need a place to relax and unwind. The walmart parking lot does not work for that
Old 03-30-2015, 11:46 AM   #42

We only use Wally World parking lots if we get stuck late, and can't get into a campground. Most Wall-marts allow it if it's not in a heavy tourist area. Just follow a few rules, and you'll be fine...
* Ask the Manager
* As a courtesy, buy some stuff.
* Park out near the edge of the parking lot.
* Park under a light, with your door facing the store (for security).
* Don't treat it like a campground (No lawn chairs, grills, etc.)

There are a lot of cameras in the parking lots, and there will often be several RVs parked close together for security.

If we can't get into a campground, we try to stay in a TA, Flying J, or some other large truck stop, but if none of those are available, then its back to good old Wally World!

Enjoy and be safe!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
Old 03-30-2015, 12:24 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Problem is, with the economy as it is, more and more people are living in their vehicles. I feel bad for them, but, with them bring crime, even petty crime, stealing from cars etc. When you have nothing, you have nothing to lose, very sad. Cities are discussing how to handle these situations, and while Wal Mart self insures I could see, especially in cities away from interstates, them moving to eliminate over night stays. I see others doing the same thing. Just a sign of the times, people feel entitled and with that entitlement people stop being thankful and start demanding.

What was once a nice jester is now an entitlement. Rude behavior also often follows. One WalMart near where we were working last summer, had to eliminate overnight parking after scores of RV's would be parked there. Leaving trash etc. People were spending days actually vacationing in the parking lot. This was near a national park and there were few state or federal campgrounds, and the few private campgrounds were typically booked weeks in advance.

This is a lose lose for those companies that have and want to continue to allow overnight camping.
Kind of seems you are obsessed with this. Like I said, if you don't like it or don't want to do it, thats your choice. All I can say is my experience and that was described earlier [No issue, no trouble, never told no, and received nothing but a welcome feeling]. Also I have never witnessed anyone trashing the parking lot and would have reported it if I had.

In the end this is a wide spread phenom that includes many big box stores. All things change over time but I'm not seeing any move to end this great thing.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:41 PM   #44

Not obsessed at all, but when people get shot and killed in a Wal Mart parking lot, after being allowed to stay, 8 people in a suburban van...yep it bothers me. Perhaps also because I have worked in "tourist" cities and have seen first hand how little respect some people have for others, ie leaving bags of garbage behind, kids running around, BBQ's pumping smoke etc...it can be a big deal. I guess when you stop for one or two nights a year, you may not see "everything" that goes on. When your there for 5 or 6 months, especially on busy holiday weekends, you see the "seedy" side of humanity.

And yes there is more and more cities banning any overnight parking. Big and little cities.

The situation in Cottonwood, Az. brought much of this to the light of day. The police had had "interactions" with these folks before the shooting. One night and move along, is different than move in and live in an SUV for days and days.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:55 PM   #45

Think we understand each others point of view. I'm done here.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:38 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
What ++ in insurance premiums are you talking about. WW's are almost all 24/7 and I can attest that there are customers and activity in the lot all night. The liability is there for someone who drives into the lot at 1am to shop or me who stops around 7pm, shops, and leaves around dawn the next am. Someone getting killed because of this policy?? What are you smoking. Would they not be liable for an employee who was killed rounding up carts in the lot by a late nite shopper.

This thread seems to have morphed to something other than the overnight thing.
Clearly you are not familiar with what is happening at some Walmarts around the country. And did you even read the article I posted? The problem is not from those who RV and stop there for a night. The problem is at those Walmarts where vagrants and full time van dwellers set up camp and then cause problems as a result. As for insurance, I think we all know insurance companies are always looking for reasons to increase premiums. When Walmart's staff is harassed, cops are called, and then someone dies that's all the excuse insurance companies need to increase premiums. Are shootings commonplace? No. But widespread vagrancy is not at all uncommon.

Before you shoot off your mouth and blow a gasket perhaps you should do your research. Many a newspaper has covered this very topic. Took me 4 minutes to pull these articles. And this is the sort of thing that leads to the policy changing and insurance premiums going up. If you don't think so, then you're just dense and this conversation is over:

RV Travel Newsletter: March 28-April 3. Issue 683 | RV Travel

Meet The Nomads Who Sleep In Walmart Parking Lots

Motor Home Travelers Attacked In Walmart Parking Lot Sue Company – Consumerist

The Hidden Ecosystem Of The Walmart Parking Lot | Co.Exist | ideas + impact

Elderly Homeless Couple Living in a Walmart Parking Lot Prayed for God to Send ‘Angels’ — and Here’s What Happened | Video | TheBlaze.com

Some of San Jose's homeless move to Walmart parking lot | abc7news.com

https://youtu.be/813DAqFpe7w

The New Homeless: Living Behind the Wheel
Old 03-30-2015, 10:42 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Kind of seems you are obsessed with this. Like I said, if you don't like it or don't want to do it, thats your choice. All I can say is my experience and that was described earlier [No issue, no trouble, never told no, and received nothing but a welcome feeling]. Also I have never witnessed anyone trashing the parking lot and would have reported it if I had.

In the end this is a wide spread phenom that includes many big box stores. All things change over time but I'm not seeing any move to end this great thing.
Just because you haven't experienced something doesn't mean it is not happening. That is anecdotal evidence. All you have to do is follow the news. And also, you're just wrong. More and more city councils are moving to end this policy on their own (with or without Walmart's consent). And other Walmarts are ending the policy before it becomes a bigger problem. Many still allow it, yes, but this past week's shooting was high profile enough that there might be changes to the policy. No one here is saying it WILL change; we are merely stating that it likely will. And past performance is not an indicator of future results. If you can't see that the only one obsessed here is you.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:06 AM   #48
Site Team

OK time to step back and cool down guys,

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
Old 03-31-2015, 09:54 AM   #49

There is a huge difference that is being discussed here....living in a parking lot and stopping in one to grab some sleep.

I have been stopping in parking lots all my life when I travel alone with a car, or truck etc. If I was towing a TT I would do the same. So many places to stop and WW being one of them. Ask for permission and move on in the am....not a big deal.

Bad things happen everywhere and people need to use caution and common sense ( which is not to common at times). In all the years that I have slept in my car, truck etc, I have only had one knock on my window to ask me to please move and it followed with a suggestion as to where I should park. Remember truckers do this everyday! It is not going to stop.

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
Old 03-31-2015, 10:42 AM   #50

Despite the media slanting the view that Walmart lots are becoming a place for vagrants, I'd like to see real evidence. We've stopped at a lot of Wal-marts in our travels and I've never seen vagrant types hanging around. Look closely at the Nolan Conway photos. One RV is a rental. One older couple is nicely dressed and is enjoying a morning coffee and look ready to pull out.

The media is very good at presenting things in such a way that makes us think one thing, when the reality is something else.

Now, I'm not saying there are no vagrants at Walmarts abusing the hospitality. What I am saying is that I don't believe it's as wide spread issue as the media would like us to believe. Where I don't doubt there is more of it in the southwest, especially southern CA, where there is a disproportionally higher number of homeless. Still, municipalities that are banning the practice are doing it because they have a widespread problem, not just because of issues at Walmart.

Regarding Cottonwood, Arizona, I see this as an isolated incident, and not limited to Wal-Mart. We have a grocery store not too far from where I live that has a high rate of purse snatchings outside the store. The suspects are almost always from out of town. Reason? It's about 2 minutes from the freeway. And there has been gunfire in the case of one off duty police officer who stopped a mugging and was shot at. So yes, you will get transients no matter where retail is near freeway access.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:48 AM   #51

Changes are not going to occur because of the actions of recreational campers and those who RV, the problem is with the increasing number of vagrants who make RVing a permanent lifestyle and it seems possible (if not likely) that cities and businesses will be forced to throw the baby out with the bath water.

To get a better idea of what I'm talking about, watch this video:

Camper fire reveals RV nomads living on city streets | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News
Old 03-31-2015, 11:32 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Klassy View Post
Changes are not going to occur because of the actions of recreational campers and those who RV, the problem is with the increasing number of vagrants who make RVing a permanent lifestyle and it seems possible (if not likely) that cities and businesses will be forced to throw the baby out with the bath water.

To get a better idea of what I'm talking about, watch this video:

Camper fire reveals RV nomads living on city streets | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

What does this have to do with the topic.....it could not be anything further then what is being discussed. Can we please stick to the topic at hand!

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
Old 03-31-2015, 12:15 PM   #53
Site Team

this thread is getting to argumentative. So it is now closed.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
Closed Thread

« TV Mount | Ladder »