Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-26-2016, 04:18 PM   #1

Angry Walk Thru / PDI

New jayco trailer owner. Had scheduled walk thru this morning and to say it went poorly is an understatement. Had a list of items to be taken care of signed by store manager stating everything would be done 100%. Upon arriving after alleged PDI was done we found out otherwise. Called day before to be sure unit was done before taking off work and was told yes it was, greeted by salesman at door and he said just looked at unit and everything done and trailer looks great. Went out back to start walk thru and camper is covered with snow and some yahoo up on the roof with snow shovel hacking away like he's shoveling a sidewalk. Noticed immediately that damaged corner trim wasn't fixed, broken front lens wasn't fixed so I was like whats going on here? "walk thru guy" starts making excuses and telling me 2-3 weeks for a new exterior light, didn't know @ damaged corner etc. It was obvious we were all going in and around camper for the first time. All this after being told how extensive and thorough the PDI was Going to be. Very disappointing way to start something you have been looking forward too. Hopefully they make it right but my confidence level is not very high after being lied too.. Any advice
is appreciated.

spot9270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:37 PM   #2
Site Team

Unfortunately the walk thru inspection and the dealer PDI experiences seem to vary greatly from dealer to dealer. Some get it right and some.....don`t. All issues SHOULD be addressed before your walk thru when the dealer does his PDI before the unit is offered for sale or if ordered promptly after it arrives on their lot.

Crabman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:55 PM   #3

Some dealers just want their $ as they are paying interest on the unit until you fund the loan or fork over the cash. I would have walked away and said see you tomorrow or when it's ready to your satisfaction.

The only leverage you have as buyer is prior to the signing. Once you pay the excuses come ten fold. The fact that you called and confirmed all was ready and then not would have set me off!

If you walked away without your unit as a result I would lean on them for some extras as a result of your letdown.

Sorry your great day went sour on you.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:38 PM   #4

walkthru/PDI

I tell you it set me off. You never saw a showroom full of salesman clear out so quick. It wouldn't have been so bad except for the deliberate deception. Unfortunate because we had done our research on make and model. Probably the easiest sale they ever made. It wasn't like they missed a thing here or there they plain just didn't do a thing as far as a PDI is concerned, not to mention the items they guaranteed to fix. A large dealer too with locations all over the country. Makes me wonder how many other people they have done this to. Ok I'm done ranting. Any ideas of what I should try to hit them up for. It definitely won't be any service or installed items. Thanks again and hope I don't sound like a crazy. Just frustrated at being taken advantage of.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:45 PM   #5

One thing for sure - I would check that roof over very carefully! I would have immediately taken out my phone and gotten pictures/video of him up there doing that...

2015 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
2010 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71
Reese Dual Cam HP
Tekonsha P3 controller
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:47 PM   #6

Your really making me feel better...LOL And yes I will.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:03 PM   #7

It seems the bigger they are the less they care. Tail light guarantee. If it's who I think it is (NY, FL, IL, etc.) then you are already on the hook with $. As far as hitting them up I would lean on the salesman and his manager for a deal on accessories that you can carry out with you. My first unit came from a large wholesaler and the PDI was good as was the delivery overall with the unit in perfect shape. That being said warranty work was never done by the selling dealer and I went to a local dealer who earned the second units business as a result of great service.

I have heard of some instances where dealers have delivered units right to your home where issues like this have come into play. Squeaky wheel, an email to customer service and a phone call to the manager might get more action for you too.

Also yes I would inspect the roof as safely as possible.

Hopefully it all comes together for you.

Time to get yourself a good local dealer lined up.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:04 PM   #8

i have had my share of frustrations with my dealer too. The only thing in my opinion they did well was the sale. first time we went out the whole interior was wrong. Second time after they ordered us another one the interior couch, chairs and bed were wrong and the faucet was wrong. I accepted the couch chairs and bed, they sad they would change out faucet in kitchen. Next day I drive out for the walk through and when showing me the power awning he sut it on the grab bar and broke the awning arm on that side. He said they would have to order one. We took the camper and dealt with the broken arm for the season and took it back for the warranty repairs we had found. They replaced one cabinet door that was separated at the stile and when I picked it up and got home I found they had broken the cabinet door next to it i called them and told them and they said we couldn't have done it . I put in for warranty on cap fade and when I called to check on the ok they said my camper was done and ready to pick up. I said that's interesting since my camper is here. Jayco will be doing the repairs needed and the cap in the fall. I would not take it back to the dealer for anything
Old 02-26-2016, 09:42 PM   #9

Oh boy... I'll be having my PDI in the next month or so. My initial walk through looked good. The only issue I saw was a cracked fender skirt which they ordered. It appears that they torqued the screws too tight when they put them on.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:34 PM   #10

Just printed out the PDI checklist. The truck has been cleaned and loaded. I leave in the morning and should hit Middlebury, IN. by Monday. Should be sunny and a good time to arrive.

I have warned the dealer that this PDI is going to take some time. I already received their PDI and they say everything is fine.

I also am paying for a leak test while I am present. I think it is worth the added expense.

Hope it all goes well.

Thanks again for all the guidance and resources.

King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote