Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-17-2020, 08:59 AM   #1

Wall paneling

We are considering painting our ceilings in our 30 foot Greyhawk. The material up there now is that fuzzy cloth like stuff. Very hard to clean, and probably impossible to paint.
I am looking at Home Depot they have 1/16 inch plastic wall panels, they come in 4 x8 for just 19 dollars.
I am thinking that I could glue them to the ceiling and add cove mold to the out side edges and a strip of wood between sheets.
My question is, how to glue them to the ceiling.. I am thinking, maybe liquid nail or does Gorilla make some thing. Has anyone tried this.
We plan to paint the whole inside and the cabinets.

1SG Pete
1SGPETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:50 AM   #2

Not sure what the "Fuzzy cloth Like" material is. We do not have anything like that in our TT. Personally, I would paint if first. Give it a good primer. Sand the frozen fuzz, maybe another coat of primer, then paint it.

You can always panel it afterwards if you do not like the outcome.

The hard part about gluing to the ceiling is how to hold the panels up with the glue cures. My fear with something like Liquid Nails is you have to put it on thick and "smash it" into the other substrate, and I suspect the ceiling would look wavy. I suspect a good glue, kinda like what they use to secure industrial carpet squares may be the best options. Trowel a coating on the ceiling, and on the panel. Press and hope it stays up while fully setting.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:25 PM   #3

Looked at your profile and it stated a 2004. If this is correct, I think the attached picture is close to what you may have.

I would think it is fabric, much like a headliner in older vehicles.

My question would be what is under the fussy liner? Is there a thin plywood or a hard foam (like some old headliners)?

If the backer material is a ply you may look at stripping off the fabric. See how clean the ply is and then decide on how to coat it (paint) or glue a vinyl material to it.

As Jagiven stated, maybe paint it. People have painted over wallpaper for years. If you used a high fill primer it might eliminate much of the pattern.

Adding panels can be done but sagging and glue release over time may present issues. I know my camper get pretty hot in the summer and very cold in the winter when not being used. The expansion and contraction of different materials can cause issues.

If it is not like what is in the picture please post a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot (28).jpg  

A Smart phone is one that is NOT in your hand while driving!
64osby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 01:01 PM   #4

My hunch matches the previous posts, gluing risks a wavy finish. I'd use a sprayer like the Wagner power spray first. https://www.wagnerspraytech.com/prod...ower%20painter
Old 07-17-2020, 02:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64osby View Post
Looked at your profile and it stated a 2004. If this is correct, I think the attached picture is close to what you may have.

I would think it is fabric, much like a headliner in older vehicles.

My question would be what is under the fussy liner? Is there a thin plywood or a hard foam (like some old headliners)?

If the backer material is a ply you may look at stripping off the fabric. See how clean the ply is and then decide on how to coat it (paint) or glue a vinyl material to it.

As Jagiven stated, maybe paint it. People have painted over wallpaper for years. If you used a high fill primer it might eliminate much of the pattern.

Adding panels can be done but sagging and glue release over time may present issues. I know my camper get pretty hot in the summer and very cold in the winter when not being used. The expansion and contraction of different materials can cause issues.

If it is not like what is in the picture please post a picture.
Yes, this is the same vehicle that we have, Ours is a 2005 Greyhawk 30 footer. I took the DVD player and the box down and removed the TV. Since I made a power lift cabinet for our TV.
You may be right, I have worried about what ever I put up there, sagging with the drastic weather changes that these units go through.
The ceiling is some sort of cloth over a hard material probably plywood. Since we got rid of the over the cab bed area, I may just plastic that area off and try to paint it. I am going to build some storage cabinets to put up in that area. Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-18-2020, 04:51 AM   #6

Almost sounds better off untouched.Could become a can of worms.
Old 07-18-2020, 06:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokurt View Post
Almost sounds better off untouched.Could become a can of worms.
The more I think about it, the more I agree with you MoKurt.

1SG Pete