Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-18-2017, 12:46 PM   #1

Walmart Camping During the Day?

Well I thought I had camping sort of figured out. My camping generally consist of weekends after I get off work on Friday I drive some where and hit a Walmart parking lot late maybe around 11pm, then get up and explore whatever town I'm in the next day antiquing etc. I live off I-75 here in Kentucky and lately I've been noticing a lot of motorhomes "camping" during the middle of the day when I go to lunch. I guess I always figured there wouldn't be much RV traffic during the day. I guess I'm asking do you think is there groups who drive all night and sleep during the day? I've been seeing more RV's parked during the day than at night. And they have shades drawn like they are sleeping. Just wondering what you guys thought. Thanks in advance.
silverta16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:41 PM   #2

I don't know about I-75, but I drive a lot at night along I-95 and very rarely see RVs on the road after 10 pm. My guess is the folks you see are trying to find a place to stay on the cheap. It's also possible they live out of the RV, work overnight shifts and sleep during the day.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:26 PM   #3
Site Team

I prefer to drive at night if possible. Depending on our destination, we will leave late in the evening, drive most of the night, and then stop for a little rest/breakfast in the morning. I haven't camped a Wal-Mart during the day per say, but I have rested there for a few hours early morning before starting off again.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:36 PM   #4

Piece of very wise RV advice that I won't forget: If you ever turn on your headlights, you're doing it wrong.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:21 AM   #5

Used to be that our local Walmart didn't really care much, as long as the folks didn't put out the awning and lawn chairs. One time noticed a MH that spent three days in the parking lot.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:36 PM   #6

Here in Missoula along I-15 I don't think it matters what time of the day or year, you have RVs and campers parked along gas stations and grocery stores all the time. It's nice at a place like Walmart that usually has a ton of extra parking way in the back 40 so it really doesn't cause a big scene or problem.

I like your style though, easy way to quickly be able to wake up and see the town.

Tom - Always Preferred
www.wedefineclean.net
TomAPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
Piece of very wise RV advice that I won't forget: If you ever turn on your headlights, you're doing it wrong.
I completely agree.
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite ST250RB for sale
Next unit: Jayco Eagle 336fbok
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote