Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-19-2020, 06:11 PM   #1

Warranty claims

The Dometic furnace on my travel trailer decided to stop working while we were in AZ this winter. The trailer is still under a 2 year warranty, and I initially tried to have Dometic do the warranty work which turned out to be an exercise in futility. The "support" person just gave me a list of Dometic certified repair techs in the Tuscon area, but since it was around Christmas and New years, all of the techs were way out (another exercise in futility).

When we got to Quartzsite, I found a mobile tech who said he was a Jayco guy, and had him do the repairs that totaled a little over $90. He told me to submit a claim on the Jayco website which I did in Jan. Having not heard back from them, I inquired about my claim again in early March. Its now mid April, so I inquired again today since I havent heard back from them.

So Im curious of how long others had waited for a claim settlement with Jayco?
Tommyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 06:18 PM   #2
Site Team

You should have called them, explained the situation. They may not pay a claim that was not authorized prior to the repair. Call Jayco Customer service and speak nicely.

Have your vin# and dealers name.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 06:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
You should have called them, explained the situation. They may not pay a claim that was not authorized prior to the repair. Call Jayco Customer service and speak nicely.

X-2 I never waited over 2 weeks, but all the repairs were pre-authorized with the Mobile Guy talking to customer service before he started.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post

The repair tech set up the authorization. I had to wait a couple of days before he got the OK to fix it.

Jayco called me up today, and said the check they sent out came back to them because they sent it to the right street address, but the wrong city and state,

Checks back in the mail!
Tommyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:55 PM   #5

Look at it this way... you spent $90.00 to have a mobile tech come out to YOU and fix what the dealer should have been able to do if they could have - but you would have had to put your RV in their shop for 8-weeks and find alternative lodging for those 8-weeks while it sat on their yard freezing your pipes because they did not winterize it properly before the sudden freeze when they said they would.

While I know that you have a warranty from Jayco (or the dealer that you bought it from) and they printed a paper that said they would pay for these repairs.. BUT NOT The other repairs that consist of 95% of the reasons why they don't work.

We know that the Jayco Warranty is much better than the dealer warranty, but you did the right thing... got your rig fixed by a mobile RV service who did the job in a timely manner and got it working for you right away. Don't let the dependence on a RV warranty keep you from enjoying life and staying on the road. Think about if your RV was still at that dealer waiting for the parts to come in to get you warm!
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 06:36 PM   #6

i just fixed a warranty item myself part was 114.00
it would have cost me around 80.00 in fuel and 20 for lunch and 8 hours of driving 4 hours round trip twice and who knows how long it would have taken them. so unless you dealer is super close you did fine. for me the warranty is for major items i cant fix myself.
tileguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:01 PM   #7
Site Team

Any warranty claim has to be weighed by what it cost me in my own time and expenses.

I would rather fix it myself unless there is no other way.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:19 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tileguy View Post
i just fixed a warranty item myself part was 114.00
it would have cost me around 80.00 in fuel and 20 for lunch and 8 hours of driving 4 hours round trip twice and who knows how long it would have taken them. so unless you dealer is super close you did fine. for me the warranty is for major items i cant fix myself.
Exactly how I feel. I knew going in to purchase, that the odds would be slim that I bring the rig in for warranty or any work, and my dealer is a little over an hour away. So my plan was to beat the heck out of them for a lower price and freebies, knowing I'd need a "cushion" to cover the repairs/parts that I needed. The only possible chance my rig goes in for repairs is for a catastrophic repair, and even then, I'd figure it out or hire a mobile tech, and pay for it myself.

Leaving a rig sitting multiple weeks/months at the dealer, waiting for repairs, is totally unacceptable!!!
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote