Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2015, 01:35 PM   #1

Warranty history on used Jayco ?

We are taking delivery on a 2009 Eagle 324 bhds tomorrow. While reading through the TT threads I found a comment suggesting calling Jayco with the VIN number to get the warranty history. I tried to do that and the customer service rep excused himself to speak to a supervisor. When he returned he said they were not allowed to release that information due to confidentiality issues. The unit was bought and traded back in for a 5th wheel at the dealership we are purchasing it from. We did ask about service records and the only thing they found was an issue with the bathroom sink. Is there any other way to verify the accuracy of this information since Jayco will not release it or another route to go with Jayco to get the information other than contacting the customer service number? The number I called is 574-825-5861. When I explained my request the lady said, "Sure! Let me connect you to customer service". It was the folks in customer service who said they could not release that information.
Thank You in advance for any help offered!
NCMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:25 PM   #2

You can press for the information since none of it would be 'private' to the previous owner. It is Jayco's information because they paid to have the work done.

The original customer complaint that caused a warranty repair might be considered private to the original owner, but considering the fact that is was transmitted to Jayco without the expectation of it staying private, the argument will not hold up.

Tell the dealer that you'll walk away from the deal and expect return of your deposit if they won't provide the warranty records. Ask "What are you trying to hide?"

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:28 PM   #3

Yea... that doesn't hold water for me. For whom is the information "confidential"? You aren't asking for the name and private information of the previous owner, you are inquiring about prior known issues with the camper.

That being said... what information are you trying to find out? I'm not sure what information they would have that would make me feel better or feel more concerned. Its not like maintenance records on a used car...
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 05:57 AM   #4

Here is another area where the RV industry lags behind others by many many years. When I purchased my used Ford F150 a few years ago, I asked for a warranty report. Had one in my hands in about 5 minutes. I think it is a relevant request, as I might think differently about buying the truck if it had an engine replacement, multiple warranty items, etc... The same goes for a RV, I would think differently about it if the report showed replacement of a whole wall, frame problems etc....
As of now any auto, marine, ATV, snowmobile, etc... dealer can run a report in about 2 minutes if they have the serial number of the product (assuming you are a dealer for the brand). I'm not sure this would be true for an RV dealer.
Now as for a customer calling the factory to get this information, that might be another story, I can see why they might be uneasy to do this.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:24 AM   #5

I agree with you, tslarson. Any average Joe with a VIN has no legitimate reason for wanting the repair history (warrantee or customer paid).

But the purchaser of a used machine from a registered dealer has the right (IMO) to know what repairs have made to the thing in order to make an informed purchase decision.

What that report reveals may or may not have any bearing on the deal, but it could show a chronic problem that will have to be considered. Possibly a blown deal or lower negotiated price. Or it may show a couple of minor issues that were resolved.

Something like Car Fax for RV's? Before the deal is inked!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:06 PM   #6

Since it is a 2009 model, it's possible that any other problems may not be part of a Jayco Warranty. When I traded my previous 5er, the dealer gave my phone number to the new (to them) purchaser. I was glad to answer any questions he had. I would suggest asking the dealer for the previous owner's phone number. There should be nothing to hide and the previous owner should have service information, either within warranty or out of warranty.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:33 AM   #7

Thank you for all the responses.

As to why we had wanted that information, Mike837go answered that for me.

Using all the information I had gathered from this site I feel we made a good inspection of the trailer and will be pleased with it.

All the owners manuals, etc. were included which will be a huge help. The trailer appears to be in immaculate condition
NCMom is offline   Reply With Quote