Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-31-2011, 09:26 AM   #1

Warranty - Jayco - Opinion???

Just throwing this out to see what others think.

We purchased a shiny new 298RES in February of this year and in April we brought it home.
Took it out on the maiden voyage in May and had a blast. The unit is awesome and we were extremely happy with our purchase.

July came around and we were doing a 2 week stint at one of the Saskatchewan Provincial Parks and was doing my usual walk around of the unit to ensure I didn't hit anything when we parked. This is when I noticed that there as a crack in the fiberglass in the front on the entry door side. Upon closer inspection we found that the crack was actually based on a previous repair and the filler was letting loose. You could clearly see the paint line and the total crack line where it was damaged. Basically, it looked like it was hit due to really bad attempt of a parking job...

Now...when we picked the unit up, we obviously did a walk around of the unit with the dealer and we didn't notice anything...nothing at all. Even the dealer said they didn't know about the damage as you had to be in the right light to see it when we found it.

So we took some pictures (dang good ones at that) and fired it off to the dealer to say we're not impressed.
Jayco has said..yes...warranty, but repair it because it was a screw that could've caused the crack.
HUH?
A screw? so that tells me the build quality was less than desired.

Long story short, it's been 3 months and Jayco has said...repair it. I was like...uh...NOT...we bought new and want new and sorry to say...it sits.
As of today the small 2 inch crack is now 5 inches long following the exact path of the factory repair which is CLEARLY noticeable in any light...

We bought a Jayco based on build quality and reputation. And sorry...based on the proverbial crap (sorry for the language) we're going through on this one...I'm not impressed at all. Like I stated, they don't want to realize that yes...the repair at factory didn't obviously work...so let's change out the side panel and make this customer a happy camper so to speak, they just want to "mask" the issue again...which sorry to say, will fail again because obviously it has failed already.
The dealer has been fairly good about it thus far...granted, they weren't aware of the issue as it wasn't disclosed to them. (or so they say)

Being that its a damaged unit without the dealer and myself even knowing about it, I'll obviously lose $$$ in its value (which in my mind is the dealer's issue)...but as far as the unit goes, should Jayco man up so to speak and realize that it's their issue and replace the side panel as requested.

On the flip side...if "I" backed into the unit and damaged it...no problem. I did it and I'm cool with that, but the issue is it wasn't me. (Heck, the diamond plate isn't even scratched...so obviously it wasn't me).

I apologize to anyone reading this as it may not be appropriate for this forum. But it's just frustrating and I'm not really sure what else to do and as of today, I'm ready to call a lawyer and take the unit back or trade it on a different brand...(that's how frustrating it is).
Like I said and I hope others think the same...when you buy new you expect new....not new "ish"...right?
Yes, there will be some items that will need repair (inadvertent or recalled) but this one is bugging me big time and I'm at a loss.

So the question is...am I being a little anal about it? (just looking for an opinion)
Has anyone else had issues dealing with them?

Thanks

Tim
(aka workingchump)
workingchump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:27 AM   #2

Can you post some pics?

Personally, I would be livid. I don't think I remember anyone ever posting that concern here. But if they problem is one that can't be resolved in one 'fix', I too would be concerned with how the issue would affect the resale value of my tt.

Keep us apprised of what happens. It may help others who might ultimately have the same problem. Good luck
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:35 AM   #3

I'm on your side workingchump. If I buy, and pay good money for, new then I'd expect new. Not something that was damaged and made to look like it wasn't. I find it hard to believe Jayco doesn't just take it back to the factory are replace the damaged section. Keep us advised on what happens.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:06 PM   #4

Totally agree...you paid for a new undamaged RV and clearly there repair job failed. Post up pics I'd lime to see this.
InspiredBMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:18 PM   #5

If repairing the crack was the proper way to fix the issue, the repair would not have failed. Maybe Jayco could explain to you how the dealer can repair it better than the factory did.

I'm a fan of Jayco, but not of issues caused by Jayco's build quality and the consequences of that for the consumer.

Your dealer could pressure Jayco to do the right thing, if they would.

Ditto on the request to you to post pictures; please keep us informed about how Jayco treats their problem and their customer - you. If Jayco insists on the repair, perhaps they could refund you several thousand dollars (whatever the cost would be to fix it right) since your trailer does not meet minimum customary standards.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:16 PM   #6
Site Team

Whether it was damaged at the factory, in transit, or at the dealer it should be properly repaired to your satisfaction. And yes this forum if the place to voice issues like this. Members should be made aware of the good and the bad aspects of the product. From my experience reading other forums unfortunately problems like this are not unique or rare in the RV industry. I hope you get this resolved soon.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:55 PM   #7

whew...I feel a bit better as I'm not just going nuts over nothing..
Still livid though...

I will post some pics and let you know how things turn out.
Apparenlty the dealer and the Jayco "rep" are talking about it. Whether or not they actually do anything is another matter.

Standby...more to follow
Old 08-31-2011, 07:32 PM   #8

Hey Tim out of curiosity what dealer did you get it from?
Seann in Saskatoon
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:57 PM   #9

Traveland in Regina.
They've been really good so far...it's more Jayco that seems to be the issue.
Time will tell.
Tim
(aka workingchump...sigh)
Old 08-31-2011, 10:06 PM   #10

Attached are some pics.
Sorry if they're over the limit. Couldn't get them any smaller.

Obviously the 2inch "crack" is BIGGER...sigh.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG00001-20110831-1831.jpg   IMG00002-20110831-1831.jpg   IMG00003-20110831-1831.jpg  
Old 09-01-2011, 05:33 AM   #11

Whoa that's nasty. I'f it were me I would be aggressively pursuing resolution. I noticed on Jaycos Facebook site people posting problems and Jayco seems quite responsive to it. May want to go public with this.
InspiredBMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:30 AM   #12

You know...not a bad idea.
Gotta love the power of social media...
Old 09-01-2011, 11:08 AM   #13

posted...will see what happens there.
Thanks to all that share my fustration so to speak. Will keep you posted on any developments...
Old 09-04-2011, 07:54 AM   #14

Good luck with getting this repaired at the factory with a whole new piece. That would be the right thing to do in my eyes as well. Not cost effective to the company, so they'll try to cheap out with a repair hopefully of better quality than the first attempt.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:50 PM   #15

hmmm...think it will have to be cost effective now.
Washed it after the weekend as it had a little bit of dust...(yes, I'm anal about it) and found some other big time issues that in my mind aren't really repairable as from what it looks like, it's structural.
See pics...
Yes...that's "BOTH" sides. Both in the top of the rear of both slides. The bad one is actually cracked all the way through.
(Starting to regret the purchase and maybe should've went with our inital choice as far as brand goes)

Sigh.....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1735.jpg   IMG_1736.jpg   IMG_1741.jpg  
Old 09-06-2011, 09:58 PM   #16

That is not good. Ernie
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:39 AM   #17

I would think Jayco would have no choice but to offer up a new trailer and take this one back to the factory.Some thoughts,

Have you tried going up higher in the management decision making dept?

Forward the emails from here to them.

There may be provincial laws that may help you. misrepresenting a product.

Possibly a letter from your lawyer would be a good idea.

We would all feel and act the same as you. I'm surprised Jayco would let this out of the factory. I really hope Jayco will do the right thing.

Give em hell, stand tall your in the right. Jayco has come thru for others here.
By the way what was the other trailer you were going to buy? We almost bought a Coachman which was identical had a second door, but more money.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:41 AM   #18

Post your second findings on Facebook as well. That is UGLY!
Good luck with this.
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:46 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, I tend to agree that it looks like something structural is at play, and not just a bad Filon wall panel. The fact that you have experienced both a lower and upper event doesn't fair well at all.

I hope that Jayco addresses this matter to your full satisfaction.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #20

That's replacement trailer material. If they don't, then it's time to go public and involve a lawyer. That trailer never should have left he factory. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.