Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-10-2016, 09:42 AM   #1

Angry Warranty repair taking FOR EV ER

Purchased my trailer new august 2015...

Into the the dealer for warranty repair January 19, 2016...

4 months later....Still waiting on Jayco to send parts for repairs!!!

The repairs are extensive...I guess the one we bought was leaking on the lot, and no one figured it out until we took it to Florida...where it rained...a lot...We took it in immediately and have been without it ever since.

Anyone ever been through this process?
sr20ladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:51 AM   #2

Through a warranty repair? Yes. Longest was a hide-a-bed back cushion. It took several times before the dealer received the correct item. Overall it took at least 2 months, but trailer was usable while waiting.

So the leak you have is rain water leaking in? What parts are you waiting for? Have you called Jayco customer service about this?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:26 AM   #3

I have not yet, but it's coming. Our 2016 North Point has a sticky slide. I called the dealer (300 miles away), and made an appointment. He said I should plan on leaving the trailer since if they needed parts they'd have to order them. Making me just a little nervous.

Jim
Old 05-10-2016, 10:55 AM   #4

And from what I've read here and on other forums, Jayco reps don't help any.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:02 AM   #5

we've been very patient with the dealer...i kinda knew getting into this that Jayco could/would be slow. just ready to get back out on the road!
sr20ladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:24 PM   #6

Mine's been at the dealership since the beginning of March now for warranty repairs. I kept getting the response from them that they were waiting on parts from Jayco. At the suggestion of a wise forum member here, I contacted Jayco with my VIN# and inquired what the hold up was with my parts. I was told by Jayco that I needed the Order Number from the dealership. I contacted the dealer and was provided a bogus number. After speaking with Jayco again, I was told that that they ship the parts 7-10 days after receiving the order, unless it's something that they don't have in stock. I was told that the longest a part would take to be received by the dealership from Jayco would be no longer than 4 weeks.

On a positive note, I was told last week that my 5th wheel should be ready late this week...we shall see! The last item they are waiting for is the new residential fridge to come in. One dent in the freezer door, and I just assumed they would replace the door...nope...they replace the whole darn thing! What a waste.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
One dent in the freezer door, and I just assumed they would replace the door...nope...they replace the whole darn thing! What a waste.
A replacement door is usually several hundred bucks. Replace the whole thing and sell the old one for $200 off and everyone wins.
Gone-2007 National SurfSide 34DE
Gone-2006 ForestRiver Sunseeker 2900LTD
Gone-1994 Fleetwood PaceArrow
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger
apr1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Mine's been at the dealership since the beginning of March now for warranty repairs. I kept getting the response from them that they were waiting on parts from Jayco. At the suggestion of a wise forum member here, I contacted Jayco with my VIN# and inquired what the hold up was with my parts. I was told by Jayco that I needed the Order Number from the dealership. I contacted the dealer and was provided a bogus number. After speaking with Jayco again, I was told that that they ship the parts 7-10 days after receiving the order, unless it's something that they don't have in stock. I was told that the longest a part would take to be received by the dealership from Jayco would be no longer than 4 weeks.

On a positive note, I was told last week that my 5th wheel should be ready late this week...we shall see! The last item they are waiting for is the new residential fridge to come in. One dent in the freezer door, and I just assumed they would replace the door...nope...they replace the whole darn thing! What a waste.
So, in this case, are you saying that the dealer failed to submit the proper paperwork in order for Jayco to ship it? That would not surprise me a bit.
When I got my front cap replaced (by an independent shop) Jayco sent the parts (the entire front wall) and cut a check for labor to the repair shop ahead of time, no questions asked. I have been pleasantly surprised by Jayco's warranty service.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post
So, in this case, are you saying that the dealer failed to submit the proper paperwork in order for Jayco to ship it?
I got the impression the OP was being very careful not to blame anyone - at least not yet. Interesting either way, isn't it?

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post
So, in this case, are you saying that the dealer failed to submit the proper paperwork in order for Jayco to ship it?
I'm saying that the dealership flat out lied to me and never submitted the request for parts. They were going to work on my unit whenever they got around to it and keep putting me off with "the parts are on order".

Once I had confirmation from Jayco that no parts had been ordered, the GM and I had a face to face come to Jesus meeting! I all of a sudden became their favorite customer!

I'm due a phone call this Thursday for my update. Hopefully all should be done this week.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:53 PM   #11

Why do we put up with this?
Ladybug - why are you being patient with the dealer?
Didn't you pay them a lot of money for this RV? Didn't they make a respectable profit?
Isn't Jayco paying them for the warranty work?

The truth is - they make more on private repairs than they do on Warranty work. And they make more prepping new units for delivery than they do for any type repair work. So most dealers - the priority is
1. Prep new deliveries.
2. Prep used deliveries.
3. Do customer paid repair work.
4. Do warranty repair work.

If you let them they will shuffle you to the back burner every time.
Remember - "The squeaky wheel gets the grease" - so squeak - LOUDLY.

I ran a large support department for a major software company for 10 years. I learned every trick in the book for getting good service and support - because I had all of them pulled on my staff and I.

I called last week to schedule some minor warranty service on my 26.5rls. I was told the next "slot" would be in 3 weeks. I simply told them that was unacceptable if that was the best they could do I'd have to get on Google Business, Yahoo Business, Yelp, and several of the Online campground directories that also list and rate dealers and post their service times. There is POWER in social media. Guess what . . . she "found" me a service slot 48 hours later.

When I go to the dealer I'll wait on the unit - and I'll wait in the sales showroom and chat with all the incoming customers. Makes the sales staff nervous as hell. I guarantee you I'll be out of there in minimum time.
If I waited over a week for parts I'd be on the phone to both the dealer and Jayco twice a day every work day. I'd ask for copies of parts orders, confirmations, shipping tracking numbers, etc.

Now all this probably makes me sound like a "grumpy old man" but I've started and run 7 technology business over the past 35 years. And for the last five years I've taught small business management for a major state university. I know the importance of good customer service - I celebrate and reward good service when I receive it - and I make life hell for a business when I don't. I expected nothing less from my customers over the years.

If we complain that companies don't provide service like the "good 'ol days" then it's because we - the consumer - have let them.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Once I had confirmation from Jayco that no parts had been ordered, the GM and I had a face to face come to Jesus meeting! I all of a sudden became their favorite customer!
Hope that level of service continues, but it's a shame you had to go through what you did to get there.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:25 PM   #13

Quote:
I'm saying that the dealership flat out lied to me and never submitted the request for parts. They were going to work on my unit whenever they got around to it and keep putting me off with "the parts are on order".
I know I'm being repetative , but 95% of the time the dealer is the problem. Not saying JAYCO is perfect, but they try like h--l to get things right.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:23 PM   #14

Sorry ladybug, didn't mean to hi-jack your post. My point was only meant to help you out...make sure that you stay on top of the dealership doing your warranty work and check up on them with Jayco if need be. Keep them honest or as honest as possible.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:31 PM   #15

Quote:

I'm due a phone call this Thursday for my update. Hopefully all should be done this week.
That is what I thought you were saying. I suspect this is pretty common when a dealer does not have the time/desire to work on something right away.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
When I go to the dealer I'll wait on the unit - and I'll wait in the sales showroom and chat with all the incoming customers. Makes the sales staff nervous as hell. I guarantee you I'll be out of there in minimum time..
Yeah, I have found if you wander around the sales area be it for RV, car repairs at the dealer (rare especially after warranty is gone), etc. and start chatting with prospective buyers, they will expedite your departure.

Especially if you say things like you are waiting for your turn to talk to the service manager to see why repairs are taking 2+ months on your unit.......
Old 05-11-2016, 11:24 AM   #17

I think a big part of the problem getting repairs and service has to do with the ability to hire good people. Schools teach anyone wanting to go into a trade is somehow lesser of a human. "Shop" class's have almost all gone away, in many cases because of those in charge wanting all their students to go to college, it makes them look good. I've had this conversation with very large districts I did work with for almost 20 years. I always told them, great, you have 70% of your students going to college, what you don't say is, 50% will drop out by the end of the freshman year. And your lucky if you get 20% that actually graduate at the end of 4 years. And I get YOUR students that you gave a diploma, who can't add 1/2" and 1/4", literally.

Add to that their are great peaks and valleys in most RV dealerships, spring your swamped, winter your looking for something for your techs to do. Makes it hard to keep your schedule short especially in peak periods.

It's why I do most repairs myself if I can, i've had Jayco ship parts to me no questions asked. If I need something I can't do, I take it to an independent service company. I purchased from RV express not a local dealer, but the $1,000's I saved I can put into independent service if needed and not be stressed.

It's not easy being in a service business today, kids don't want to work they just want a big paycheck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post

It's not easy being in a service business today, kids don't want to work they just want a big paycheck.
RV dealers are having a very hard time finding "qualified" techs. It's been an industry wide complaint for years.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:46 PM   #19

Y'all may be jumping to some pretty big conclusions. We don't even know how extensive the work is on Ladybug's RV.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 05:05 PM   #20

To me the big problem is keeping or even finding techs who care or management who care about anything but the bottom line. I have a automotive restoration business and have tried repeatedly to hire help but haven't been able to find anyone who cares about doing the job right and with the quality I expect without an attitude. I would do most of the repairs myself, but I will give the factory techs the opportunity to do it for me under warranty this fall and hope for the best. After that I will be doing all the repairs needed myself.

Tags
repair, warranty