Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-10-2015, 09:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Not every RV requires loads of warranty work either. Both my TT only had one warranty claim each. The first TT was a defective Jensen CD/DVD player and the second had an issue with the FW connection between the two tanks. Both were very easy quick fixes.

Some have been less fortunate I realize and have lots of problems. Personally I think they are fewer in number, but much more vocal as they seek resolution. I would be too but ultimately I think the majority of Jayco RV are pretty well assembled.

If my choice was 2hrs or 8 hrs to the dealer I would let price way more heavily. If it was 15min vs 8 hrs I would let distance hold more value.

Hopefully you will get a trouble free unit. If not, and you can't get local warranty work in a reasonable timeframe, Jayco has been known to approve no selling RV repair facilities to make warranty repairs.
I would guess you're right.... It seems that Jayco makes a great product which is why I have ultimately decided on them. And those with major problems are probably pretty few when compared next to those that have great trouble free units.
mtedelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:54 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knauby View Post
I think this is a blanket statement and frankly unfair to many dealers. I purchased my camper at a large discount RV dealer and have it serviced locally by a different shop. They never blinked and handled the warranty work quickly (well as quickly as Jayco allows given there horrible parts distribution system). The servicing dealer said that in two years after the warranty expires he will have earned my business and he is right, he did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
X2 Purchased from the big Jayco dealer in Middlebury In near the factory. Great dealer, great price.
...snip...
This dealer never once said anything negative about me as a non purchaser. Guess he wants my business going forward.
Exactly what they said.

In my case, the SERVICE department has been GREAT.
But their SALES department still SUX BIG TIME.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:54 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
But if the dealer doesn't have the ability/capacity/techs to take care of those who bought from him in a timely manner(because he takes in non purchasers) they will loose more business then they gain.
Potentially could happen, but with very few actual dealer repairs needed, the likelihood of this being a problem are very low. Are you willing to walk away from $2 - 7 thousand in savings just so you MIGHT get preferential treatment on a repair??

PS: Real world actually happened, driving home from Gulf trip last March and discovered my TT nav lights were out. Heavy storm caused it to get dark by 3pm and there was no safe way to continue. Noticed a Tiffin [high end RV's] as I sat at a traffic light on the S side of Montgomery Ala. Decided to try and primary hope was that they would allow me to spend the night on their lot and take a look at the problem the next day. In a heavy rain, the service mgr sent his #1 tech outside to check out my problem. Laying on his back in a puddle on the gravel, he found and fixed the problem that was caused by a loose ground inside the elec. terminal box under the front fork. Total cost - $90 and on our way with lights in less than 1 1/2 hours from the time I sat at the traffic light. Didn't buy my TT or even a light bulb from this guy and they will likely never see me again ever, they went the extra mile.

Your local dealer won't do you any good if your 1000miles away on a trip. RV's break when you use them.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:11 PM   #24

Quote:
Potentially could happen, but with very few actual dealer repairs needed, the likelihood of this being a problem are very low. Are you willing to walk away from $2 - 7 thousand in savings just so you MIGHT get preferential treatment on a repair??

Your local dealer won't do you any good if your 1000miles away on a trip. RV's break when you use them.
Your talking "APPLES and ORANGES" the majority of dealers will help if your on the road and need a repair. That's a little different than snubbing your local dealer on the sale and then expecting them to take "good care of you" when you need warranty work while still at home.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:33 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Your talking "APPLES and ORANGES" the majority of dealers will help if your on the road and need a repair. That's a little different than snubbing your local dealer on the sale and then expecting them to take "good care of you" when you need warranty work while still at home.
Missing my point. I had a total of 1 warrantee visit with my 2014 white Hawk. I didn't have to wait or do without my TT for an extended period of time. If I had, it was a 1 time occurance. For a savings of $4 or 5 grand, I'm ok waiting in line or going down the road. To me, this is totally an overblown issue. I have heard plenty of complaints about dealers in general including those who dissed their own "sold" customers. My nearest Jayco dealer quoted me a price that was over $4k higher than RV Connections in Middlebury. That nearest dealer is the one who worked with me to get my warrente work pre authorized and then did the work in a quick and quality manner right in the middle of there busy spring season. My experience doesn't support your "what ifs".

My point with my experience in Montgomery was that time critical repairs, warrantee or cash have at least a 50/50 chance of not being at home. I'll take the savings on the front end and take my chances later.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:14 AM   #26

50 years ago we had a different world [at least that's what my older friends tell me] and buying locally was more important and other options were limited. Today on-line purchases are skyrocketing and local brick and morter businesses are feeling the pinch. I do business with locals when it makes sense but when big $$$ is at stake I will consider all options. RV dealers seem to have failed to step up to the new competition that online dealers present to the buyer. Local dealers still want to dictate price and charge crazy fees for delivery / set up/ or their kids college fund. Like we have no choice and we take what they have and pay their prices. Sorry Charlie! That dealer will soon go the way of the buggy whip when their business model is no longer viable.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:40 AM   #27
Lost in the Woods

"warranty work for a trailer that was not purchased from their dealership often takes quite some time." This is basically true for most recreational vehicles. There are reported exceptions to this basic reality guideline.

An exclusive to one mfg premium trailer dealership I worked at took care of all that one mfg units regardless of where purchased, but did have special hidden/surprise benefits they slipped in for those who bought from them. The standard wait time was 2 to 3 weeks, but recent buyers from them could get slipped in within 24 hours.

Part of this 2 to 3 months issues comes with the lack of qualified service personnel and a tendency to only keep the best of those personnel during the off season to keep down costs.

A portion of the happiest owners have
1) up-skilled themselves,
2) have the dealer they bought from send them the parts and do the warranty work themselves if possible, and
3) follow the principle of get back on the road quickly and don't bother complaining about it.

A portion of the unhappiest owners:
1) buy new and expect minimal problems,
1a) complain about how much money they spent, when often it was the banks money,
2) are amazed at the lack of industry wide mfg quality control and the number of problems they can potentially suffer,
2) are very vocal about wait times, lack of quality control, etc.,
3) some actually turn their rv into a bandwagon for mostly ineffective change, rather than focus on getting it fixed and back on the road,
4) and tend to get back on the road slowly, snowed over in unmet expectations.

One should not forget that unlike a car, that most consider a must have, an RV is an optional entertainment vehicle and few working on those vehicles own one themselves (note: some owners act like elitist snxxx). It is all about money, so if you are willing to spend more and use other service providers, you can get your problems solved quickly. However, I do recognize that some buyers are riding close to their financial limits and need to worry about what it costs.

Soon, I will be buying a used premium dp and having a "warranty" is of no value to me.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:00 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerS View Post
"

A portion of the happiest owners have
1) up-skilled themselves,
2) have the dealer they bought from send them the parts and do the warranty work themselves if possible, and
3) follow the principle of get back on the road quickly and don't bother complaining about it.

I should qualify for the happy group. My trailer has never been back to a dealer for anything in the 6+ years I have owned it. What few minor issues that have arisen I fixed myself, and any accessories or modifications added I have also done myself. To me it is easier and more cost effective to fix it myself at my convenience and not have to make an appt, drag it to a dealer, wait for the repair, then drag it back home.
Of course some folks are not able or equipped to perform their own work, and some major issues may have to be addressed by a dealer or the factory.

Issues I recall repairing:

Leaking toilet valve module, replaced after one was sent to me under warranty.

Minor slide adjustment as the slide was not closing tight on the top rear corner and was not closing level. Loosened slide brackets, jacked up slide to level then retightened brackets.

Large drawer under frig the bottom fell down, reassembled with glue and staples.

Ptrap connection under kitchen sink came loose a couple times and leaked, retightening did not last so I disassembled and found a compression washer was distorted or crushed during assembly, replaced with new one and good to go.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:17 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
I should qualify for the happy group. My trailer has never been back to a dealer for anything in the 6+ years I have owned it. What few minor issues that have arisen I fixed myself, and any accessories or modifications added I have also done myself. To me it is easier and more cost effective to fix it myself at my convenience and not have to make an appt, drag it to a dealer, wait for the repair, then drag it back home.
My exact feelings on the subject. Most of this is not rocket science and a sunny afternoon and some basic tools is all you need to fix most fit and finish issues and many operational problems. There is a wealth of info on this forum and other online sites. Google a problem and you'll likely find help with how others have handled similar problems. Other than basic hand tools I've found these as useful: hot glue gun, staple gun, and a multi tester.

Took my last 2 TT''s in once each for end of warrantee list. Current WHawk was to get the front cap repainted and Tv replaced. Previous one was a problem with the fridge. Think it is easier to fix stuff yourself [or with an RV savy friend] than to tow and wait for a dealer.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:29 AM   #30

Quote:
My exact feelings on the subject. Most of this is not rocket science and a sunny afternoon and some basic tools is all you need to fix most fit and finish issues and many operational problems. There is a wealth of info on this forum and other online sites. Google a problem and you'll likely find help with how others have handled similar problems. Other than basic hand tools I've found these as useful: hot glue gun, staple gun, and a multi tester.
Excellent insight - this forum is bursting with all the mods the members have either made or are strategizing! Yet, we complain about lack of vendor support or availability to "fix" much less complex issues. Don't get me wrong, we go to our dealer to address punch-list and warranty problems ~ and they've been outstanding in addressing them.
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote