Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-04-2019, 07:27 AM   #1

Washer dryer

I have a 2019 321RSTS and wanting to put in a washer and dryer. my 5W is plumbed for this. I've reviewed two options:
1. Combo washer/dryer
2. Portable auto washer and dryer

I would like your opinions on both. I like to the idea of being able to wash and dry at the same time, but have some concerns on space and traveling with portable systems. Would appreciate any advice out there.
northwoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:29 PM   #2

We tried the Heir portable washer that hooks to the sink and the portable dryer that we put outside to dry the clothes. The washer wouldn't clean anything really dirty very well and the dryer took long time. I suppose you could hook up the washer in the space, but it was 3 feet tall and would make it tough to fit the dryer.

We went with a vented Splendide and have been pretty happy with it. Don't do unvented as you will dump a lot of moisture inside. When you decide to drill the hole, make it a small one as the put the sticker in the wrong place and we would have drilled through the cap, side, and seam.

We like using the W/D for a hamper and when it is filled we wash the clothes. Similarly, we see no need to have them separate, as we have Margarita's while washing and drying.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:43 PM   #3

Our RV came with the Splendide washer/dryer combo and though we don’t use it a lot it does come in handy. The pros are that it is convenient, takes up less space than separate washer and dryer, does a good job of cleaning, is easy to operate and you put your dirty clothes in and when you come back they are clean and dry. The cons are it doesn’t do big loads, takes longer for the wash and dry cycle combined and you cannot wash multiple loads consecutively if you need to use the dryer function.
My DW has gotten used to it and now wouldn’t be without it. I cannot stress enough how convenient and handy it is not having to look for a laundromat while on the road.
It also is fairly easy to winterize.
Good luck with your decision as it is a personal choice and you really can’t go wrong either way.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:14 PM   #4

Were full timers so... Splendid stacked and vented. The DW loves it and so do I.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:49 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum. This is what I have been asking and seeking to get one, I would like to find one hardly use which I did but I couldn't get it at the time, we probably have to just go down and get it new.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomson View Post
We tried the Heir portable washer that hooks to the sink and the portable dryer that we put outside to dry the clothes. The washer wouldn't clean anything really dirty very well and the dryer took long time. I suppose you could hook up the washer in the space, but it was 3 feet tall and would make it tough to fit the dryer.

We went with a vented Splendide and have been pretty happy with it. Don't do unvented as you will dump a lot of moisture inside. When you decide to drill the hole, make it a small one as the put the sticker in the wrong place and we would have drilled through the cap, side, and seam.

We like using the W/D for a hamper and when it is filled we wash the clothes. Similarly, we see no need to have them separate, as we have Margarita's while washing and drying.
There are reasons to decide to not choose a ventless dryer, but moisture concerns are not one of them. The moisture from the clothes goes into the drain line and not into the air. Unlike a vented model, there is little to no air exchanged between the inner drum and your living space. You can see this by understanding ther design as well from experience. I can tell you that I'm using a Kenmore, combo ventless model in my toy hauler with no moisture issues. I've had a vented combo, stacked vented and now this ventless combo in different campers. Personally, I prefer the ventless combo, my wife prefers the stack (doesn't care either way about vent verse ventless).

Camping nights: 2019 - Too many to count, 2020 - 3
BeachRetreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:48 PM   #7

Thanks for the info. I do have a question on the combo. What is the normal drying time on a load and does it come out dry? I've read where it could take from morning to night to do two loads.
thanks
Craig

2019 321RSTS
2500HD Silverado
northwoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwoodman View Post
Thanks for the info. I do have a question on the combo. What is the normal drying time on a load and does it come out dry? I've read where it could take from morning to night to do two loads.
thanks
Craig

2019 321RSTS
2500HD Silverado
Drying time is less about the fact it is a combo, and more about the fact they're only 120v compared to a residential electric which is 210v. That said, our first vented combo still took longer than the stack dryer. We could typically do 3 loads in a day, with the last going into our sleep time.
Drum size makes a huge difference as well in relation to load size. Our current combo is much faster. But it is a residential 120v with a big drum, so while traveling we typically can't fill it completely full. As was stated earlier, when the hamper is full, we run a load. We've found while camping, it's easier to be doing laundry all the time, rather than waiting like at home.

Old 12-06-2019, 12:09 PM   #9

[QUOTE=northwoodman;814811]Thanks for the info. I do have a question on the combo. What is the normal drying time on a load and does it come out dry? I've read where it could take from morning to night to do two loads.
thanks
Craig

We do a load of microfiber sheets and pillow cases in about 20 minutes. Heavy stuff like towels about an hour. Shirts about five, with some small stuff, about 40 minutes.

Now the new Splendide has a bigger tub, and dries faster than the old ones. Just one problem, and that the loads are still small.

We like it for two reasons. We do a load, or two for filling the gray tank before dumping the black. Our W/D has never fouled our clothes as happened twice at a laundromat.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:02 PM   #10

[QUOTE=Thomson;814956][QUOTE=northwoodman;814811

We like it for two reasons. We do a load, or two for filling the gray tank before dumping the black. Our W/D has never fouled our clothes as happened twice at a laundromat.[/QUOTE]

X2

Old 12-06-2019, 05:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Welcome to the forum. This is what I have been asking and seeking to get one, I would like to find one hardly use which I did but I couldn't get it at the time, we probably have to just go down and get it new.

Keep your eyes open on CL and other online sales sites. I bought my current one for about 1/3 the price of new. Had one in my previous FW that I got from CL as well.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:40 AM   #12

I'm trying to find one on CL and Offer-Up.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:50 AM   #13

I ended up buying ours as a damaged new one from Sears. If you have room for a residential version, and aren't stuck on a Splendide, rental returns and inventory dings are a possibility, but you need to be in a place that sells therm. We got ours in Jacksonville, FL when returning from Orlando.

Old 12-11-2019, 02:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Keep your eyes open on CL and other online sales sites. I bought my current one for about 1/3 the price of new. Had one in my previous FW that I got from CL as well.
What is CL? I know CW is Camping World but what is CL??????
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
What is CL? I know CW is Camping World but what is CL??????

CL=Craigslist

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
CL=Craigslist
Thanks!
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:08 PM   #17

Wash & Dry at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomson View Post

Splendid stacked and vented. The Boss loves it and so do I. And the Margarita's are a must
Old 12-11-2019, 05:35 PM   #18

We have the Maytag apartment sized w/d stacked,it fits but it’s tight! We spend about 110 nights a year in our 5th wheel so laundry on board is a necessity.
Buddyboy1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:10 PM   #19

Washer Dryer

We put a stacked Maytag Washer and Dryer in our 2016 38FLSA. I got them at Sears. -The space allocated for them was not deep enough so I had to build it out about 1-1/2 inches. Also had to rework the vent pipe. The dryer was 220 volt so I wired a 30 amp branch breaker box in the basement and hooked it up to the 50 amp connections, neutral, and ground. Ran Romex 12-3 with ground to feed the dryer. Put in an outside vent. Works really well and dries the clothes just like a home dryer, very quickly.
Attached Thumbnails
20191211_213907.jpg   20191211_213932.jpg  
2018 GMC Sierra Denalli 4WD 1T CC Dually Duramax/Allison Nav Sys,-Sun Roof-On Star-XM Radio
serfas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:17 AM   #20

Looks great but if on a 30 amp c.b. You probably should have used 10/3 wire.
Buddyboy1954 is offline   Reply With Quote