Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-03-2021, 05:55 PM   #21

We were headed from Cape Code (Scusset Beach SP) to Liberty Harbor RV park in NJ one year.

We were on I-95 in Connecticut and the traffic became a standstill, so Google Maps routed us to the Milford Pkwy and then onto the Merritt Pkwy by Sikorsky Helicopters. As we rounded the bend on the on-ramp a sign said "no vehicle combinations over 7500lbs (we're 12,000lbs), no vehicles over 8ft (we're 11'6"). YIKES!

There was no backing up at this point as as the Milford Pkwy had ended and it was a divided parkway. We pulled over, I did a quick satellite view of the shortest stretch we could do on this 8ft high restricted parkway and there were overpasses. We made our way to the first exit I we pulled over to gather our thoughts.

I punched in the I-95 on Google maps which took us through Bridgeport. A few turns later, the sign on the road said, low bridge ahead 11'1". We couldn't believe our luck (or lack there of).

As we pulled over again on the side of the road, a local pulled up beside me and asked if I needed help getting back to the I-95. Thankfully he got us back using an alternate route. We saw the 11'1" bridge, but we turned before we got there.

What an experience and we can have a good laugh about it now.
Old 10-03-2021, 06:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
Saw this today in Northern Michigan. 10'6" was not enough for this MH. Appears they possibly ruined 2 ac units, and hopefully didn't cause major damage to the roof.
I'm at 12'6", I just hope I'm not daydreaming when I encounter low clearance!
It would be nice if convenience stores and filling stations would post the heights on their canopies. They sure like posting pictures of the hapless RV owner that hits one.
Old 10-04-2021, 02:58 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
It would be nice if convenience stores and filling stations would post the heights on their canopies. They sure like posting pictures of the hapless RV owner that hits one.

Very true. I pulled into a Walmart I think it was in Rocksprings, WY. Looked ok, but there was a lot of get and look going on as I pulled jn. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1759.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	76087
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 07:08 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
Very true. I pulled into a Walmart I think it was in Rocksprings, WY. Looked ok, but there was a lot of get and look going on as I pulled jn. Attachment 76087
I know what you mean. I pulled into a Dillons and it looked pretty close so I got out for a good look and evidently there had been a light fixture removed (or knocked off) and a piece of conduit was hanging down probably a foot. Would have hit one of the air conditioners for sure. I pretty well just fuel up at truck stops when I'm towing the 5th wheel. DEF is handy at them too.
Old 10-04-2021, 07:13 PM   #25

Me too on the truck stops. So much easier except for having to walk in and pay first. Worth the extra effort.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 05:29 AM   #26

Best thing i have done so far was opt for the 50G fuel tank. Now the truck and rig can go further than I want to. So far I have been able to refuel once at the campsite and unhooked. That will change as we go further I am sure.
Old 10-05-2021, 07:58 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
Best thing i have done so far was opt for the 50G fuel tank. Now the truck and rig can go further than I want to. So far I have been able to refuel once at the campsite and unhooked. That will change as we go further I am sure.

X2 with a 40 gallon diesel external tank and pump. Refuel on the fly! Takes away a lot of the the stress associated with running low and trying to find a suitable fuel station.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:12 AM   #28

Don't believe that all Truck Stops can fit you. I'm 12' 5" & I stopped at the TA on I-95 exit 3 in New Hampshire, a couple of years ago. I was going to use either of the 2 right lanes in their Truck area, both were Gas lanes. Same height as all of the Diesel Truck lanes. Except they had a plastic pipe hanging down on chains @ 12 ft. on both. I could not see pipe until I came around building, so it was too late to change Lanes. I crept forward as the Pipe slowly hit the AC ever so lightly. A Truck driver offered to Help. I had him drive my truck slowly forward as I stood on my 5ver roof holding up the pipe. I am 5'10" and had no issue with not hitting roof line. Not sure why pipe was there as to my left all 18 Wheelers were lined up in their lanes without issue.

I was able to fuel up my truck without further issue.

015 Ford F250 Lariat SD
2015 Jayco WhiteHawk 27DSRL (Sold)
2017 KZ Durango D281RLT.
RSerendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:12 AM   #29

Mackinaw!
Me too. Wasn’t paying attention last week during an evening rain until I saw the 10’6” sign and I was already started in. Remembered my specs were under 10’6”. Couldn’t back up because of traffic behind me. No scraping noise except for the radio antenna. Came out the other side with no damage. Checked the specs and found out I had plenty of room! I was only 10’.46”. Thank goodness Jayco is always right.
IrishSettler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:59 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
Saw this today in Northern Michigan. 10'6" was not enough for this MH. Appears they possibly ruined 2 ac units, and hopefully didn't cause major damage to the roof.
I'm at 12'6", I just hope I'm not daydreaming when I encounter low clearance!
Driver should have dropped down 1 gear and floored the gas. He'd have made it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
On a piece of paper I just printed the true height that I measured myself rounded to the next inch and taped it to my inside windshield. I got this idea from another member of the forum.
Got the same idea from him. Note on windshield or dash works well.
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:35 PM   #31

Save some money and time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
Me too on the truck stops. So much easier except for having to walk in and pay first. Worth the extra effort.
I got a TSD Logistics card. I can pay at the pump, get a discount at several truck stops. Petro, Loves and TA comes to mind. Loves probably has the smallest discount but the nicer truck stops. It's kind of like a debit card, they pull the money out of your checking account.
Old 10-06-2021, 02:42 PM   #32

I’m at 13.2 so anything close to 13.6 worries me. I use an app called TruckMap. Allows me to plug in the height if my rig and then routes me away from anything low. The premium version allows you to plan ahead. The basic version is a “from where you are now” to “where you want to go.
Osogrande is offline   Reply With Quote