Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #1

Water consumption

We have always had a pop up with no water. Now that we purchased last month a Jayco Feather 228, we are trying to get a feel on how much water we will normally go through in a weekend. If we fill up at the campground, is that typically enough for the complete weekend? Are there tips to conserve water?
herbjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #2
Site Team

According to the Jayco site the 228 only has a fresh water capacity of 28.5 gallons which INCLUDES the hot water heater tank so the fresh water tank is only about 22 gallons. Whether or not you can make that last a weekend depends on how many people you have and how they use the water. Using the bath house for showers would of course help, along with just using good judgment on all around water use. My DW and kids can go through quite a bit of water in a weekend if I let them!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #3

We drink bottled / spring water....only use the camper toilet for #1....and I can take a shower on less than 1 gallon of water....we use an exterior camp kitchen to wash most of the dishes (sometimes we rinse with HOT water inside)
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #4

Generally, it would be hard to imagine going through a full tank in 1 weekend. However, that said, several variables need to be known to answer your question.
What's the capacity of your water tank?
How many are camping? How many are female (long hair)? How many are teenagers? (Either take very long showers, or they don't shower at all!)
Do you camp where there are campground showers?

As for saving water over a weekend - pretty much common sense stuff. Use CG shower, or take a military shower. Use paper plates or wash and rinse dishes sparingly. Use CG toilets, or flush #1 with minimal water (Use ample water for #2 or you'll have poo mountain problems). You can help eliminate some of that by washing dishes in a tub, and dump that in the toilet (black tank) rather than the sink drain (grey tank). We generally have more problems with grey tank filling up than with our fresh water running out. For extended dry camping, there are many things that can be done to save a water here and there...which adds up over a long period of time. But for a weekend, the basics should get you through. Have fun!
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #5
Site Team

Moved from site problems forum.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #6

As said the basics should get you through a weekend. We keep three 7 gallon jugs on hand and try to fill them when ever we drive out from the site for any reason. We bought a two wheeled waste tote that pulls behind our vehicle that we dump on the third day. We like to stay five nights so that one trip to the dump is enough till we leave for home and take one last dump when leave the park. We use the park showers and the washrooms when convenient. We keep one full jug in the trailer for emergencies.
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #7

Our 2005 Jay Feather LGT 27P has a 36 gal fresh water tank. Experience has shown that a full tank will last us about 3 days of cooking, toilet use, washing dishes and hand washing. We use the campground facilities for showering. For longer stays at the camp grounds, I have a 60 gal plastic water tank I can throw in the back of the truck. I put water into the tank at the campground's drinking water fill station. When needed, I just run a water hose from the tank in the truck to the tank filler point on the trailer. Gravity does the rest, don't need a pump.

I also have a black/grey water portable tank (aka: turd toter) if I need to empty the grey tank.

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #8

It seems to us that dishwashing can eat up the greatest amount of water, we used to use a lot of camp dishes, lately we have change that to paper plates and cups and we use about a 1/4 the water we used to. Ironically, at the same time we just purchased a new trailer and the fresh water supply is double that of our older trailer, so I expect to see our water last for quite a while.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:53 AM   #9

We use the water sparingly, mostly for the toilet, shaving and sometime dishes if we need really hot water. I have a portable Coleman Hot Water on Demand that we use most of the time since most of our time is spent outside the trailer. We bring bottled water for drinking. I usually end up with water left on board that I drain at the end of a trip.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #10

It is all trial and error and after the first couple of trips you will figure out how to make it last the longest. We had a TT with a 36 gallon it it and we would get 4 days after we figured out how to take the shower, when to flush the toilet and to carry a 5 gallon reserve to do dishes that we left in the sun all day.
Hogieball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #11

Our first trip, we ran out of water in a day. Now we know how to manage it and we also keep a five gallon jug that I use to add water in each day to help.