Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-03-2021, 04:09 PM   #1

Water for my Camper

I like to camp in a certain camp site that is several hundred feet from the water spigot. I'm tired of borrowing hoses and dragging them around to fill the camper so I'm trying to think of another solution.

I'm thinking I could buy a cheap 32 gallon garbage can from Home Depot to use as a portable water tank. The bed of my pickup is high enough to allow the water to siphon into the camper--I wouldn't even have to use a pump. Filling the can and positioning it next to my camper would be no problem.

For what it's worth, we don't generally drink the water from the camper. Showers, dishes, and teeth brushing is about it though I can't imagine this setup being particularly unsanitary.

Has anyone ever tried something like this?
Old 10-03-2021, 04:23 PM   #2
eow

I bought an inexpensive 12v water pump on Amazon and 4 five gallon collapsible water jugs to refill my FW tank. Wired the pump to use the 12v off the 7 pin trailer plug.

BTW: my FW tank is pressure fill not gravity fill.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
eow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 04:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eow View Post
I bought an inexpensive 12v water pump on Amazon and 4 five gallon collapsible water jugs to refill my FW tank. Wired the pump to use the 12v off the 7 pin trailer plug.

BTW: my FW tank is pressure fill not gravity fill.
Yeah, you need a pump. Mine is just gravity--easy peasy!
Old 10-03-2021, 05:01 PM   #4

I've heard of a lot of boondockers use one of these...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009ONFDEM...ing=UTF8&psc=1

they come in several sizes... put in the bed of truck and gravity feed or put feed to water pump...
(2019 NP 383FKWS)
(2019 RAM 3500 DRW Big Horn)
Topperace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 05:46 PM   #5
CAG

I used a 35 gal bladder and an old water pump I had replace and then rebuilt. Hook it to the truck battery with a few feet of hose and fill the fresh water tank.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 06:49 PM   #6

I bet the 30 gallon size bladder would work better. Run the hose to the fill port, sit on it till it starts running and let gravity fill your camper. No chance of spills turning corners or hitting bumps, very little space when empty.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 03:02 AM   #7

I found a place that sells food grade barrels. The one I bought was originally used for apply juice an has a top that's sealed to the barrel with a metal clamp band. I paid $20 for it an it works great
Old 10-04-2021, 07:54 AM   #8

The bladders look interesting but I can buy a trash can for $20. Space to transport it isn't a problem; I can just toss it into the back of my boat.
Old 10-04-2021, 08:35 AM   #9

I take a different approach. I use a 5(??) gallon jerry can (food grade). It takes a few trips to fill the tank. I do not pour the water directly into the gravity fill port. I use the onboard pump, the winterizing hose, along with my outside shower. Basically I remove the outside shower head and shove the hose into the gravity fill port. Flip the pump to Winterizing mode. Place the antifreeze pickup tube in my jerry can. Turn on the pump, open the outside shower faucet (cold) and let it transfer the water to the tank. All while sitting back and having a cool drink.

Pending how long we are out for, I may bring 1 or 2 jerry cans over to the TT as needed. Very rarely do I fill the tank completely in one day.

I also carry a "water bandit", and a "water tank filler". I can add these to the hose bib at the park so I do not have to hold my jerry can to fill it. Sometimes I have also used them on the shower hose too.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Shutoff...omotive&sr=1-8

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Connect...omotive&sr=1-5

https://www.amazon.com/Ozark-Trail-D...7PFLXVW4&psc=1 I have something like this, Mine looks identical to a 5 gallon plastic fuel Jerry can.

If carrying the jug is an issue try one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Magna-Cart-Id...e%2C349&sr=1-3

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 05:22 PM   #10

If you go the trash can route buy a Rubbermaid Brute.
Very heavy duty.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 12:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
I found a place that sells food grade barrels. The one I bought was originally used for apply juice an has a top that's sealed to the barrel with a metal clamp band. I paid $20 for it an it works great
Those plastic barrels work pretty well. We found that the blue ones tend to last longer than the clear ones. If you lay the barrel on its side (crib it so it doesn't roll around in the truck bed) and orient it with the bungs on the "y" axis (large on top, small on bottom), you should be able to thread a spigot into the small bung and fill the barrel through the top bung.

Another option would be to buy a few "carboy" 5 or so gallon containers. They work pretty well.

BTW: many years ago, we used the aforementioned plastic 55 gallon barrels for "firecrackers". They roared mightily when filled with acetylene/oxygen.
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 05:43 PM   #12

I've been using 5 or 6 gallon plastic carboys for 35 years. The last ones we got at Wallmart in their camping department. My portable electric pump drains the water into the fill port. Easy Peasy.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 04:04 PM   #13

Whatever water carrying solution you decide on, please, please, please ensure that the material is food-grade. While I agree that going with a trash can is much less expensive, the resulting impact on one's kidneys/liver is not worth the savings. While you mention you do not drink the water, you do wash with it.
mlumia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 05:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlumia View Post
Whatever water carrying solution you decide on, please, please, please ensure that the material is food-grade. While I agree that going with a trash can is much less expensive, the resulting impact on one's kidneys/liver is not worth the savings. While you mention you do not drink the water, you do wash with it.
Wow, that's funny....

The "experts" now caution us not to drink bottled water out of "sanitary" plastic bottled water bottles. Isn't that "food grade".....hahaha. I mean its sold to people with the intention of drinking out of it.

If you only wash with the water, then the water does not go into your kidneys.....the kidney water just goes into the bath, not the other way around.

Everything around us is poisoning us. Forget the water. Just drink beer or milk in glass bottles and forget about it.
Old 10-13-2021, 05:33 PM   #15

All I drink is bottled water, probably killing me, but my tap water is way worse being as though it comes out of old rusty galvanized pipes.
Old 10-13-2021, 05:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post
All I drink is bottled water, probably killing me, but my tap water is way worse being as though it comes out of old rusty galvanized pipes.
Iron and zinc are the 2 most common minerals in the human body, and are actually necessary for good health. So, throw out your unhealthy bottled water and continue using your city water.

Now, if your city water contains arsenic or lead, as some do, then that's a different story. (think Michigan)

I just have to laugh at all the people that drink Poland Spring water. Its right next to the Poland pond, which is the most polluted water in the entire USA.

(No common sense any more)
Old 10-13-2021, 06:07 PM   #17
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlumia View Post

Gosh, I wonder what my kidneys look like at 76 after drinking all of that water out of water hoses for the first 30 years of my life?

Sorry but that sounds like an ad with the California warning added.

Old 10-13-2021, 06:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Gosh, I wonder what my kidneys look like at 76 after drinking all of that water our of water hoses for the first 30 years of my life?

Sorry but that sounds like an ad with the California warning added.
If you drink beer you should be healthier than most, since its well known that Budweiser flushes out all of the bad stuff.
Old 10-13-2021, 06:51 PM   #19
CAG

I would make my own beer before I would drink Budweiser (buttwiper).

Old 10-13-2021, 07:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
Wow, that's funny....

The "experts" now caution us not to drink bottled water out of "sanitary" plastic bottled water bottles. Isn't that "food grade".....hahaha. I mean its sold to people with the intention of drinking out of it.

If you only wash with the water, then the water does not go into your kidneys.....the kidney water just goes into the bath, not the other way around.

Everything around us is poisoning us. Forget the water. Just drink beer or milk in glass bottles and forget about it.
I remember when smoking cigarettes was a healthy way to relax and digest your food. The “experts” now say it’s unhealthy.