Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-11-2019, 01:05 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Windsor
Posts: 240
Water heater bypass valve failure?

Winterized my SLX 267BHSW a few days ago, had trouble getting the water pump to come up to pressure and stop with the water pump hose in bottles of pink stuff, finally got it to work (after going through 3 gallons . . .) after I put the plug back in my drained water heater, and, even though the bypass valves were in the "bypass" positions, I ended up with antifreeze and pressure in the water heater. Only thing I can think of is one of the bypass valves must have failed, but, has anyone here ever had this issue and/or know of any other way I would've ended up with antifreeze in the hot water tank? Trailer's going in next month for a couple warranty things and am planning to have this checked out also, perhaps. Thanks for any help.
__________________

GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:23 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
DonaandDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Kingston
Posts: 993
The by pass does not allow water to enter the water heater. You have to close the inlet and outlet to prevent water from entering the tank. Once the in/out is closed the water will bypass the heater and go to the hot side of the system.

After ensuring the isolation of the tank leave the drain open and be sure to flush that tank back out.

Attached Images
 
__________________

__________________
Don & Donna Stout

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:33 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Windsor
Posts: 240
Thanks, but that's exactly what I did, i.e. closed both (mine only has 2) bypass valves and left WH tank drain plug out, but then the water pump would not come up to pressure and stop while pumping the antifreeze into the water lines. When I put the WH drain plug back in, it did come up to pressure and stop, allowing me to complete getting antifreeze coming out of all faucets, toilet, city water connection, but I also then ended up with antifreeze in the WH tank, and it was not full but was pressurized as evidenced by the drain plug spraying when I loosened it up again.

So, again, I'm guessing the only way this could happen like this is if at least one of the 2 bypass valves has failed and now lets water or antifreeze to get into the WH tank, and questions are:

Has anyone had this happen before? and,

Is there any other way that the antifreeze could have gotten into the tank?
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:38 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Haines Alaska
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by GL243 View Post
Thanks, but that's exactly what I did, i.e. closed both (mine only has 2) bypass valves and left WH tank drain plug out, but then the water pump would not come up to pressure and stop while pumping the antifreeze into the water lines. When I put the WH drain plug back in, it did come up to pressure and stop, allowing me to complete getting antifreeze coming out of all faucets, toilet, city water connection, but I also then ended up with antifreeze in the WH tank, and it was not full but was pressurized as evidenced by the drain plug spraying when I loosened it up again.

So, again, I'm guessing the only way this could happen like this is if at least one of the 2 bypass valves has failed and now lets water or antifreeze to get into the WH tank, and questions are:

Has anyone had this happen before? and,

Is there any other way that the antifreeze could have gotten into the tank?

I don't see how antifreeze could have entered your water heater if the valves were both in the bypass position. Must have a bad valve or perhaps a loose valve handle making it seem the valve is closed..
eagle55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:43 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
ALJO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Sparwood, BC
Posts: 2,407
Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
The 3 way valves usually don't fail, have them in the correct position. Some systems use two valves (3way) and others use 3 valve system, they close the in and out from the WH and open the bypass.
__________________
2014 Ram 1500 CrewCab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 3.92 Rear and Air Lift 1000
2005 Jayco Jay Feather LGT - 29Y GVWR-7000 lbs.
Dexter Axle Lift 4-9/16" - installed with sub-frame.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 12:31 PM   #6
Site Team
 
norty1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 16,027
One of your 3way valves is bad. Warranty issue if still under 2 years.
__________________
Moderator
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box, PT50C EMS
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS
2017 GMC Terrain (future TOAD)

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:46 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Windsor
Posts: 240
Here's a picture of the 2 bypass valves taken at the time that antifreeze ended up in the water heater tank (sorry it's 90 degrees off, can't seem to get it to be upright for some reason). So far, I'm inclined to agree it's gotta be one of the two valves is bad. Thanks for the replies.
Attached Thumbnails
20191008_140211.jpg  
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:53 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
2edgesword's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 996
If the bypass had failed I don't think three gallons would have build up enough pressure to stop the water pump. If the bypass value had truly failed the pump would have to fill the hot water tank in order to build enough pressure to stop the pump. Three gallons of pink stuff wouldn't fill the standard six gallon hot water tank unless all the water hadn't been drained from the tank.
__________________

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:13 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Windsor
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
If the bypass had failed I don't think three gallons would have build up enough pressure to stop the water pump. If the bypass value had truly failed the pump would have to fill the hot water tank in order to build enough pressure to stop the pump. Three gallons of pink stuff wouldn't fill the standard six gallon hot water tank unless all the water hadn't been drained from the tank.
Thanks, I actually thought the same thing. My first attempt used up 3 gallons of pink before I could get pink to all the faucets, etc. while the water pump wouldn't stop running, and I had the drain plug out of the water heater tank then, so I figured later I must have had it all drain out of the water heater tank and just didn't notice it in the gravel the trailer's sitting on in storage.

So after buying another 3 gallons and trying again, I put the WH drain plug back in, but the water pump actually came up to pressure and stopped at only about 2/3 of the first gallon of pink stuff sucked out of the jug. I almost didn't even pull the WH drain plug again after I completed the winterizing, but figured I should and was really surprised it had pink in it and under some pressure. I don't think there was even a gallon of pink in the water heater however as I caught at least half of it in a white bucket and it looked like maybe a pint or so.

So . . . it's really strange, defying what I thought I knew of the logic of this process.

Still thinking it must be a defective bypass valve, so will likely just get the dealer to check it out in the warranty service visit planned for next month (and hope they don't charge me for re-winterizing or something . . .).
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:01 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
DonaandDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Kingston
Posts: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
The 3 way valves usually don't fail, have them in the correct position. Some systems use two valves (3way) and others use 3 valve system, they close the in and out from the WH and open the bypass.
Do you have a pic for this type of system?

Thanks.

__________________
Don & Donna Stout

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:08 AM   #11
Site Team
 
norty1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 16,027
Just remember, you may or may not be protected from freezing weather in the configuration you are leaving it in.
__________________
Moderator
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box, PT50C EMS
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS
2017 GMC Terrain (future TOAD)

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:14 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Windsor
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Just remember, you may or may not be protected from freezing weather in the configuration you are leaving it in.
Which one of us are you referring to? If it's me, I'm just leaving the valves in the bypass position like the manual says, so how would that fail to protect from water freezing and bursting pipes? It's also how I did it last year and had no busted pipe problems in the spring. Thanks.
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:57 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
klpoppe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hamilton/Cincinnati
Posts: 250
Are you sure that black valve is all the way in by-pass? Maybe it is the angle of the picture but it looks like it may not be all the way in the bypass position which would let some of the antifreeze sneak by into the water heater.
__________________
2014 Jayflight Swift 264BH
2015 Ford F150 XLT 4x4 SCrew 3.5 EcoBoost Max Tow
Equalizer 10K
klpoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:10 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
RogerR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Mapleton
Posts: 1,577
Your bypass valve may have a crumb of rust or whatever in it preventing it from fully closing. You could try flushing it with water or pink but that could be expensive and time consuming.



I would also blow out the system if you have or can borrow a compressor. The little blow out screw in connector is cheap. $6 on amazon, lots of other places have them in stock. Also, plenty of youtubes on how to do it. Keep pressure under 40 psi.
__________________
2017 SLX 195RB
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.7 V6
Andersen WDH hitch
Dometic Milenco Aero mirrors
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:13 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Windsor
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by klpoppe View Post
Are you sure that black valve is all the way in by-pass? Maybe it is the angle of the picture but it looks like it may not be all the way in the bypass position which would let some of the antifreeze sneak by into the water heater.
I will definitely check on that, thanks!
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:17 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Windsor
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
Your bypass valve may have a crumb of rust or whatever in it preventing it from fully closing. You could try flushing it with water or pink but that could be expensive and time consuming.



I would also blow out the system if you have or can borrow a compressor. The little blow out screw in connector is cheap. $6 on amazon, lots of other places have them in stock. Also, plenty of youtubes on how to do it. Keep pressure under 40 psi.
Thanks, hadn't thought of that.

Does using air to blow it out make the bypass issue moot? Seems like it would, maybe.
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:26 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
ALJO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Sparwood, BC
Posts: 2,407
Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Those plastic valves are easy to take apart, just pull the valve stem out by the handle, some Vaseline on the seals and they are brand new.

2 valve systems - the blue line valve always points to the red water line to bypass. Pointed to the intake or WH connection is normal operation.
__________________
2014 Ram 1500 CrewCab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 3.92 Rear and Air Lift 1000
2005 Jayco Jay Feather LGT - 29Y GVWR-7000 lbs.
Dexter Axle Lift 4-9/16" - installed with sub-frame.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:09 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by klpoppe View Post
Are you sure that black valve is all the way in by-pass? Maybe it is the angle of the picture but it looks like it may not be all the way in the bypass position which would let some of the antifreeze sneak by into the water heater.
I thought the same looking at the picture, and it could be @RogerR's suggestion that is the issue stopping it from closing fully. A small leak would probably lead to the situation you described. With the tank drain plug out, the pressure will never build because it is open to air. With the plug back in, the tank itself would provide enough back pressure eventually; kind of like the accumulator tank on a well pump system.
__________________
2011 Jayco X19H (purchased 2015)
2008 Jayco 1007 PUP (purchased new, traded for the X19)
2018 Nissan Titan Midnight Ed.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 01:13 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Windsor
Posts: 240
Thanks, that makes sense. I'll probably use up another gallon of pink stuff checking these latest leads out, but I already have plenty. Am a little scared to try and pull a valve apart yet as Aljo described, because then I might have a water leak (?), but maybe I won't need to go to that step. Anyway, thanks for all of the help.
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 02:22 PM   #20
Site Team
 
norty1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 16,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by GL243 View Post
Which one of us are you referring to? If it's me, I'm just leaving the valves in the bypass position like the manual says, so how would that fail to protect from water freezing and bursting pipes? It's also how I did it last year and had no busted pipe problems in the spring. Thanks.
I was referring to your post. Just as a precaution since the bypass was not completed due to the valve not working.
__________________

__________________
Moderator
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box, PT50C EMS
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS
2017 GMC Terrain (future TOAD)

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×