Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-03-2015, 07:25 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donedroolin View Post
You should never replace the plastic plug with a brass or metal one. That plug did exactly what it was suppose to do. If your relief valve fails that plastic plug is the secondary back up made to fail. Never put a metal plug in place. I have seen a hot water heater where the tank failed due to this, lucky no one got hurt . But the water in the camper , not good.

I second that...
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 07:31 AM   #22
Site Team

Another tip: they always blow when it's cold or raining. Make sure you have a spare on hand.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 07:35 AM   #23

Thanks for to all. Great information. I have ordered a Easy Out Retractor Set and a Electronic Thermostat. Will try the saw method 1st.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:58 AM   #24

I just replaced the thermostats on my 10 gal Atwood. Last trip out the pressure relief valve was abnormally leaking so I shut the heater down. Found out that one of the contacts on the primary thermostat was loose so the control board wasn't receiving the shut down signal when the water reached temp. Luckily the plastic plug remained intact and the PRV did it's job.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 01:54 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentB View Post
Is that just a rubber hose clamped over the plastic cap? And if so, does it seal ok?
It is a nylon plug with a male outlet for the water heater, then I use common heater hose and hose clamps. The valve is a common shut off valve for RV's.

I purchased the tank end and the shut off valve from a trailer supply company (SixRobblees: Six Robblees' Inc. | Since 1913).
The heater hose I picked up from an auto supply store. All parts handle the heat and pressure without any worries or trouble.

Even still I carry an extra plug in the TT tool bag.

Also, I want to echo another comment. DO NOT replace the nylon plug with a brass plug on the aluminum tank atwoods. The brass with the aluminum and the heating and cooling causes a reaction inside the tank which will erode the lining.
For those who have the tanks which utilize the Anode rod, the tank itself is slightly different makeup, plus the Anode rod cancels the interaction.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:54 PM   #26

Hey Norty1, do you remember what you used to cut it down to the threads? I spent a couple of hrs this PM using a small hack saw blade without any success.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:06 AM   #27
Site Team

I used a small hack saw blade down to the threads, then picked at it with a small screwdriver and a awl until I could pull on it with needle nose pliers.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 10-05-2015, 05:01 PM   #28

W/H Drain Plug

I was able to get the threads out by using a small hack saw blade, small screw driver and needle nose pliers. However, I did damage the threads a bit as my replacement plug is cross threading. I'm meeting a couple of Canadian friends at Huntington Beach State Park tomorrow for a weeks camping, weather permitting. They are GM retired Tool and Die Makers and hopefully they can help me. Thanks to all
for the replies. Worse case, Amazon has my model W/H for $346.00.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:37 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohok1 View Post
I was able to get the threads out by using a small hack saw blade, small screw driver and needle nose pliers. However, I did damage the threads a bit as my replacement plug is cross threading. I'm meeting a couple of Canadian friends at Huntington Beach State Park tomorrow for a weeks camping, weather permitting. They are GM retired Tool and Die Makers and hopefully they can help me. Thanks to all
for the replies. Worse case, Amazon has my model W/H for $346.00.
You should not have damaged the threads. It is very easy to cross thread that plug. Get another and try again, I have messed up a few from cross threads. My money is the wh is not damaged.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 10-06-2015, 10:08 PM   #30

Interesting find the other day when I was draining the water lines... before placing my water heater in bypass, with the low point drains open, I lifted the pressure relief valve and the water heater tank completely drained out the hot side low point drain. I verified it was empty by removing the plug, but in the future I'm thinking that won't be necessary.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:08 AM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurvy View Post
Interesting find the other day when I was draining the water lines... before placing my water heater in bypass, with the low point drains open, I lifted the pressure relief valve and the water heater tank completely drained out the hot side low point drain. I verified it was empty by removing the plug, but in the future I'm thinking that won't be necessary.
Scurvey, not doubting your experience. Mine does not do that. I can see how some could be pushed out by air pressure in the wh, but not all. Do you see a drain on the wh other than the one on front?

New one on me!
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 10-09-2015, 08:15 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Scurvey, not doubting your experience. Mine does not do that. I can see how some could be pushed out by air pressure in the wh, but not all. Do you see a drain on the wh other than the one on front?

New one on me!
Nope, I'm thinking it's just siphoned out, sort of like draining a fuel tank or waterbed, once I break the vacuum of the water heater by lifting the relief valve it drained completely out the low point drain. I guess the outlet of the water heater must be at the very bottom since nothing came out of the drain plug when when I removed it.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:29 PM   #33

Quote:
Mine does this too. Last time I posted about it (last year some time IIRC) they didn't believe me, swore it was something else. Last time I had the trailer, I proved it. I opened the low points and let them drain until they completely stopped, then about 10 minutes after they stopped, I went to the water heater and lifted the pressure relief, and the WH started draining out the hot LP drain. I know it was from the WH because that was the only water left in the entire trailer.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:10 AM   #34

Quote:
Nope, I'm thinking it's just siphoned out, sort of like draining a fuel tank or waterbed, once I break the vacuum of the water heater by lifting the relief valve it drained completely out the low point drain. I guess the outlet of the water heater must be at the very bottom since nothing came out of the drain plug when when I removed it.
Our 10 gallon Atwood does the same thing.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 05:50 PM   #35

One of our previous rigs did that. Didn't really notice it until I saw steam coming out of the bucket under the RV. I had the relief valve on the WH open and sure enough it siphoned it out. It was obvious when later opening the drain on the WH.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:14 PM   #36

Well there you go. I'll never need to pull the drain plug on the water heater again.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:30 PM   #37

Quote:
Well there you go. I'll never need to pull the drain plug on the water heater again.
Yes you will at the end of the season to remove the mineral deposits just like your WH at home. The low point drain does not empty the tank fast enough to remove those deposits.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:05 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
Yes you will at the end of the season to remove the mineral deposits just like your WH at home. The low point drain does not empty the tank fast enough to remove those deposits.
drats, foiled again!
Old 10-20-2015, 06:00 AM   #39

I always drain my water heater in between trips by opening the pressure relief valve and letting it flow out the low point drains. I don't remove the plug until the end of the season. I let the trailer sit all winter with the plug installed loosely to prevent any bugs or critters from entering, then in the spring when I de-winterize the plug comes out. I leave the plug out and push fresh water through the heater and let it flow for a few minutes out the drain plug hole to flush it out, re-install the plug tight, done and done.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:26 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
I always drain my water heater in between trips by opening the pressure relief valve and letting it flow out the low point drains. I don't remove the plug until the end of the season. I let the trailer sit all winter with the plug installed loosely to prevent any bugs or critters from entering, then in the spring when I de-winterize the plug comes out. I leave the plug out and push fresh water through the heater and let it flow for a few minutes out the drain plug hole to flush it out, re-install the plug tight, done and done.
I was just going to mention that you could/should (?) flush the WH once a season. I just connect the city water, remove the plug in the bottom of the WH and let 'er rip. Do that for a few minutes to flush out any deposits, then I'm GTG for the season. I also empty the WH (actually the whole water system) for storage if more than a week at a time.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote