Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-07-2015, 05:08 AM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurvy View Post
Interesting find the other day when I was draining the water lines... before placing my water heater in bypass, with the low point drains open, I lifted the pressure relief valve and the water heater tank completely drained out the hot side low point drain. I verified it was empty by removing the plug, but in the future I'm thinking that won't be necessary.
Scurvey, not doubting your experience. Mine does not do that. I can see how some could be pushed out by air pressure in the wh, but not all. Do you see a drain on the wh other than the one on front?

New one on me!

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:15 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Scurvey, not doubting your experience. Mine does not do that. I can see how some could be pushed out by air pressure in the wh, but not all. Do you see a drain on the wh other than the one on front?

New one on me!
Nope, I'm thinking it's just siphoned out, sort of like draining a fuel tank or waterbed, once I break the vacuum of the water heater by lifting the relief valve it drained completely out the low point drain. I guess the outlet of the water heater must be at the very bottom since nothing came out of the drain plug when when I removed it.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:29 PM   #33

Quote:
Interesting find the other day when I was draining the water lines... before placing my water heater in bypass, with the low point drains open, I lifted the pressure relief valve and the water heater tank completely drained out the hot side low point drain. I verified it was empty by removing the plug, but in the future I'm thinking that won't be necessary.
Mine does this too. Last time I posted about it (last year some time IIRC) they didn't believe me, swore it was something else. Last time I had the trailer, I proved it. I opened the low points and let them drain until they completely stopped, then about 10 minutes after they stopped, I went to the water heater and lifted the pressure relief, and the WH started draining out the hot LP drain. I know it was from the WH because that was the only water left in the entire trailer.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:10 AM   #34

Quote:
Nope, I'm thinking it's just siphoned out, sort of like draining a fuel tank or waterbed, once I break the vacuum of the water heater by lifting the relief valve it drained completely out the low point drain. I guess the outlet of the water heater must be at the very bottom since nothing came out of the drain plug when when I removed it.
Our 10 gallon Atwood does the same thing.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:50 PM   #35

One of our previous rigs did that. Didn't really notice it until I saw steam coming out of the bucket under the RV. I had the relief valve on the WH open and sure enough it siphoned it out. It was obvious when later opening the drain on the WH.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:14 PM   #36

Well there you go. I'll never need to pull the drain plug on the water heater again.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:30 AM   #37

Quote:
Well there you go. I'll never need to pull the drain plug on the water heater again.
Yes you will at the end of the season to remove the mineral deposits just like your WH at home. The low point drain does not empty the tank fast enough to remove those deposits.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:05 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
Yes you will at the end of the season to remove the mineral deposits just like your WH at home. The low point drain does not empty the tank fast enough to remove those deposits.
drats, foiled again!
Old 10-20-2015, 07:00 AM   #39

I always drain my water heater in between trips by opening the pressure relief valve and letting it flow out the low point drains. I don't remove the plug until the end of the season. I let the trailer sit all winter with the plug installed loosely to prevent any bugs or critters from entering, then in the spring when I de-winterize the plug comes out. I leave the plug out and push fresh water through the heater and let it flow for a few minutes out the drain plug hole to flush it out, re-install the plug tight, done and done.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:26 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
I always drain my water heater in between trips by opening the pressure relief valve and letting it flow out the low point drains. I don't remove the plug until the end of the season. I let the trailer sit all winter with the plug installed loosely to prevent any bugs or critters from entering, then in the spring when I de-winterize the plug comes out. I leave the plug out and push fresh water through the heater and let it flow for a few minutes out the drain plug hole to flush it out, re-install the plug tight, done and done.
I was just going to mention that you could/should (?) flush the WH once a season. I just connect the city water, remove the plug in the bottom of the WH and let 'er rip. Do that for a few minutes to flush out any deposits, then I'm GTG for the season. I also empty the WH (actually the whole water system) for storage if more than a week at a time.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote