Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-02-2021, 11:01 AM   #1

Water inside my entry door?

I was working on a project putting in a new t style door holder. I notice the 2 bottom holes looked moist as they were glistening in the sun. I started inspecting the door and noticed gunk under the door window frame and also at the bottom of the door. Makes me think water is somehow getting in around the window? Is it common for water to get in the doors?

There's a couple screws(2 on each side) I think that remove the bottom lip so I can get a look inside. My square bit seems to fit but when I try to unscrew doesnt grip like it's starting to strip it. Maybe its metric or visa versa and off just a spec.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20210102-115033_Video Player.jpg   Screenshot_20210102-114947_Video Player.jpg   Screenshot_20210102-115810_Video Player.jpg  
Jayco2015JayFLIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 01:08 PM   #2

I had/have a similar problem..
my bottom edge is all cracked and split. I took off the bottom piece and it was all damp inside. One of the holes was covered in caulk. If I squeezed the bottom of the door water came out of the styrofoam between the panels.
I left the bottom trim off for 4 weeks in the summer so it would dry. It took that long for water not to squish out anymore.
Then I drilled some more holes in the bottom and caulked the top edge of the front and back.
I’m assuming the door skin cracked because the water froze inside during a winter.... ??
I don’t know if I have fixed anything, but I feel better.
Attached Thumbnails
548AB691-1B9A-4110-91A3-C3C51DAB602A.jpg   F446565B-6489-410B-8B24-672CF25BF4EE.jpg   E55152F4-12E9-4120-9498-727ACB534212.jpg  
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 01:58 PM   #3

Wow that's crazy. If yours had that much water inside I'd be worried about mold. A new door is like 500 smh. I'd want to take the whole door apart make sure no black mold, dry it out and spray with mold killer. I'm gonna get that bottom peice off. I might have to grind the screws off they seem stripped.
Old 01-05-2021, 03:00 PM   #4

I want to fill the holes with jb weld epoxy before I reattach new plate. I'm not sure how it keeps getting moist. I leave the fan on it by 3PM its bone dry, no moisture when i stuff holes with toilet paper. I tape it up and seal it then come out in morning put toilet paper in it gets wet. Could condensation be getting in making it wet? I dont think it rained last night. I see a gap on the bottom frame lip of the door. Is this suppose to be there or should I seal it up? Only the 2 bottom holes see to be getting wet. Pics attatched..
Attached Thumbnails
20210105_155426.jpg   20210105_144444.jpg   20210105_144429.jpg  
Old 01-05-2021, 05:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco2015JayFLIGHT View Post
I want to fill the holes with jb weld epoxy before I reattach new plate. I'm not sure how it keeps getting moist. I leave the fan on it by 3PM its bone dry, no moisture when i stuff holes with toilet paper. I tape it up and seal it then come out in morning put toilet paper in it gets wet. Could condensation be getting in making it wet? I dont think it rained last night. I see a gap on the bottom frame lip of the door. Is this suppose to be there or should I seal it up? Only the 2 bottom holes see to be getting wet. Pics attatched..
That is a bad design to install the door catch in that location. I can see the wind tearing that door catch apart.

The area that is circled, should be caulked. I like OSI Quad, you can get it in many colors.

There is no appropriate use of JB Weld on the exterior of your door. Are you going to place something over the top of those 4 holes? Are they going to reuse those mounting holes? No mater what I would clean up those holes with a sharp razor knife.

If nothing is going to be mounted there. After you are comfortable with everything has dried out. I would fill them in with more OSI Quad. Ideally, for cosmetics, I would put a patch over the top, or a nice sticker to hid the repair.

If you are going to install a new door catch, apply a little OSI Quad to the holes, install the new door catch, and caulk.

Edit; After I posted I see you said you will be installing a new plate. I would test fit, a little caulk in the holes, insert the new screws, and caulk the plate appropriately.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 06:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
That is a bad design to install the door catch in that location. I can see the wind tearing that door catch apart.

The area that is circled, should be caulked. I like OSI Quad, you can get it in many colors.

There is no appropriate use of JB Weld on the exterior of your door. Are you going to place something over the top of those 4 holes? Are they going to reuse those mounting holes? No mater what I would clean up those holes with a sharp razor knife.

If nothing is going to be mounted there. After you are comfortable with everything has dried out. I would fill them in with more OSI Quad. Ideally, for cosmetics, I would put a patch over the top, or a nice sticker to hid the repair.

If you are going to install a new door catch, apply a little OSI Quad to the holes, install the new door catch, and caulk.

Edit; After I posted I see you said you will be installing a new plate. I would test fit, a little caulk in the holes, insert the new screws, and caulk the plate appropriately.
Thanks for the reply Ja. I'm planning to install new door catch but I'm going to be putting an aluminum plate over the holes and then mount the new door catch to the aluminum plate. I ripped out the old catch that was riveted to the door so those holes are destroyed and big. I was going to fill the holes with the jb weld epoxy it says it's for wood, fiberglass, metal, plastic and everything basically holds 5000 psi. And its sandable and drillable. Then after that cures I was going to put the plate over the holes and add more jb weld epoxy to the center backing of the plate with some osi or proflex around the edges and screw the plate down with self tapping screws. I just felt the jb would add strength and extra adhesion. Dont know if screws are enough. Sound good? Or you still against the epoxy?

I also have gorilla glue epoxy but doesnt mention fiberglass and only claims 3200 psi