Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-07-2014, 11:27 AM   #1

Water on electric jack?

Anybody find that water was pooling inside their electric jack? Our was sounding like crap and then I found about a half-cup of water had drained out of it.

I'm going to take it apart and see what I can find.

Best regards,

Paul
Old 06-07-2014, 11:50 AM   #2

We always throw a 5 gallon bucket over ours, tuck in the plug to keep it dry too. Good place to store the bucket anyway.

Daytripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:53 PM   #3

Yup, mine has that worthless button level on it that doesn't work as a level or a plug to keep the water out. Mine sounds like crap too after getting plenty of water in it. I made a trash can to keep my cord and jack head protected from the elements. Also I'll be opening it up this week for another project, so I'll see what I can see at that time. I'm interested to hear what you find.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Yup, mine has that worthless button level on it that doesn't work as a level or a plug to keep the water out. Mine sounds like crap too after getting plenty of water in it. I made a trash can to keep my cord and jack head protected from the elements. Also I'll be opening it up this week for another project, so I'll see what I can see at that time. I'm interested to hear what you find.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402199652.785035.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	13403
My trash can mod.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Attachment 13403
My trash can mod.
+1

I made one very similar for our jack last year.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:13 PM   #6

Our jack was replaced under warranty a month ago. When it was removed water drained out of it for a good 30 minutes. I now have a 5 gallon bucket over the new one.
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:11 PM   #7

Thank you all for the suggestions. I took it apart this weekend while camping at Young State Park (MI). I was able to open the gear case but couldn't disassemble the gears to get to the bottom of the gear case where, presumably, all the water is collecting. I was able to fish twisted paper towels between the gears to soak up another 1/2 cup of water. I then redistributed some of the geeSe back on the gears (I didn't have new grease with me) and buttoned it back up. It sounds a little happier but is obviously not the same.

Our unit is not quite a year old, so I'll be calling about making a warranty claim. Then I'll be fashioning a proper fix so it won't happen again. Either a proper seal in the place of that button level cap, or a trash can cover as demonstrated most helpfully.

I'll keep you posted.

Best regards,

Paul
Old 06-09-2014, 06:49 AM   #8

I was going to buy the cover that looked like leather, but I ended buying a golf shoe bag for about $8.00 on sale. It has lasted for the last 6 years. It is getting a little weathered and worn, so I may need to buy another one this year.

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:41 AM   #9

I Have the Lippert/Stromberg jack and have had water intrusion problems as well. My extend/retract switch failed soon after I got the trailer and when I took the top half of the housing off, I could see water pooling in holes on the motor housing and at the bottom of the assembly. The rubber seal at the top, that provides access for manual operation appears to leak very well and could substitute for a funnel. I am considering using a thin smear of silicone seal on the lip to improve the fit. We don't get a lot of rain in Northern California, but it soes not take much.
The bucket, trash can, golf shoe bag solution are all good ones too, just one more thing to have on the list.
2005 Cedar Creek 31LBHS
2001 Sprinter 303BHS
1997 Mallard 33Z
1990 Starcraft Starmaster[/I]
Bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreak View Post
I Have the Lippert/Stromberg jack and have had water intrusion problems as well. My extend/retract switch failed soon after I got the trailer and when I took the top half of the housing off, I could see water pooling in holes on the motor housing and at the bottom of the assembly. The rubber seal at the top, that provides access for manual operation appears to leak very well and could substitute for a funnel. I am considering using a thin smear of silicone seal on the lip to improve the fit. We don't get a lot of rain in Northern California, but it soes not take much.

The bucket, trash can, golf shoe bag solution are all good ones too, just one more thing to have on the list.

We also have the Lippert jack, and I know exactly what you mean about the manual screw access funnel. That hex nut for manual operation fell apart the last time I used it after jack failure. If you ever have to use it, use it carefully.
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:21 PM   #11

Hi
That is what I have, someone tided a small water proof bag on the back ladder of the trailer, so I covered the jack with it. Works great. ( It was free)
annie oakly is offline   Reply With Quote